Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Voxster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2023
I am running Ventura on my Macbook Pro A1398, 15" mid 2014 using OCLP. Thinking about going back to Big Sur. My concern is after 11/2023 when Big Sur is no longer supported. Will it still be safe, or a good idea to continue using Big Sur after it is no longer supported?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I am running Ventura on my Macbook Pro A1398, 15" mid 2014 using OCLP. Thinking about going back to Big Sur. My concern is after 11/2023 when Big Sur is no longer supported. Will it still be safe, or a good idea to continue using Big Sur after it is no longer supported?
It's impossible to quantify whether an unsupported operating system will continue to be safe. It's certain that there will be vulnerabilities found, but whether they affect you and how you use the computer is not something that can be determined in advance.

Reactions: Voxster

Voxster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2023
Thats understandable. I dont use Safari. I use Brave/Chrome browsers. Primarily use this for email, social media.

GreenTechNinja

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2023
Also, some files you have might be corrupted or not supported when you make that huge downgrade. Also, Big Sur doesn't have that many new features that Ventura has. I say just stay on the OS you are using.

Reactions: Voxster

Voxster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2023
Also, some files you have might be corrupted or not supported when you make that huge downgrade. Also, Big Sur doesn't have that many new features that Ventura has. I say just stay on the OS you are using.
I am thinking about re-doing this OCLP install of Ventura. I did run into some issues first time installing. Perhaps it related.

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
Is it just the look and "feel" of Ventura you don't like? Understandable. Why not go with Monterey? Basically the same functionally and stylistically as Big Sur, but you're guaranteed at least another full year of support. From a performance standpoint, you've got nothing to lose on 2014 hardware.

Voxster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2023
Is it just the look and "feel" of Ventura you don't like? Understandable. Why not go with Monterey? Basically the same functionally and stylistically as Big Sur, but you're guaranteed at least another full year of support. From a performance standpoint, you've got nothing to lose on 2014 hardware.
I like the look and feel of Ventura. It actually runs better on this hardware than Big Sur. I have had the macbook shut down right after login twice. Once yesterday and then again this morning, running on battery both times. Power back up, displays the battery/connect to power source even though battery was at appx 60%. I ordered a replacement battery. I am thinking that it may also be related to the OCLP patch loading at startup. Hence, my thought of going back to Big Sur.

Charge Information:

The battery’s charge is below the warning level: No

Fully Charged: No

Charging: No

Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 7072

State of Charge (%): 51

Health Information:

Cycle Count: 962

Condition: Normal

Voxster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2023
I am going to replace battery. Will open core legacy patcher still work if I have to reset after battery replacement?

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
Yeah, you shouldn't have any issues after battery replacement. All the patching is already written to the drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.