Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
You can ignore them. Click on their user's profile, and in the bottom right corner, there is a button to ignore. It will hide all of their comments
I think the OP isn't asking how to block but rather if a blocked member created a thread, he'll not see that thread

Anyway to block users without losing entire threads?
I don't believe so

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
This will hide whole threads sadly. I just don't want to see the user and their posts and theres no way to do that I know of.
Blocking users is easily enough done.

Click on their user profile, - or, hover over their avatar - and you will find an "ignore" button, which you can then click on.

However, if that individual has started a thread, well, yes, I can see your point.

You will run the risk of losing access to the thread.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
Blocking users is easily enough done.

Click on their user profile, - or, hover over their avatar - and you will find an "ignore" button, which you can then click on.

However, if that individual has started a thread, well, yes, I can see your point.

You will run the risk of losing access to the thread.

Yup, which is pretty dumb but I guess that's how whatever forum software they're using works.

Reactions: takasugi

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Yup, which is pretty dumb
I don't think its dumb, partly because the use of the ignore member feature is not to see content from a member.

I have a number of people on my ignore list (side note, I'm SOOO happy I can do this now that I'm not a moderator), if one of those people started a thread I'm generally uninterested in what he said, nor do I feel any motivation to answer any sort of tech support question he/she may have.

I'm just guessing but I think most people who use the ignore member feature, are truly uninterested in all of what that ignored member has to say, either in posts or threads they may have started.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
I don't think its dumb, partly because the use of the ignore member feature is not to see content from a member.

I have a number of people on my ignore list (side note, I'm SOOO happy I can do this now that I'm not a moderator), if one of those people started a thread I'm generally uninterested in what he said, nor do I feel any motivation to answer any sort of tech support question he/she may have.

I'm just guessing but I think most people who use the ignore member feature, are truly uninterested in all of what that ignored member has to say, either in posts or threads they may have started.

Agreed. However when a user is the creator of a thread that turns massive, with other users good content and you ignore them - wiping out everyone else - it's not fun. I guess gotta decide what you want.

Reactions: takasugi

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Agreed. However when a user is the creator of a thread that turns massive, with other users good content and you ignore them - wiping out everyone else - it's not fun. I guess gotta decide what you want.
I can see your dilemma, and fully sympathise with it.

However, it is still possible (difficult at times, agreed) to ignore - that is, pass with averted eyes over anything they post - what the OP says (and writes) while still choosing to engage with a thread, the content of which may be of interest to you.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
You could add the thread you're interested in to the Bookmarks stored in your browser. That way you can go to the thread regardless of who you have ignored.

The MR website has a particular form of URL that will take you to the first unread post in a thread (if there is one):
Code:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/blocking-users.2403237/unread
If your browser allows you to manually edit the URL of a Bookmark, you can edit your saved bookmark so it looks like the above. Obviously, the part before "/unread" should refer to the thread you want to bookmark.

EDIT
Here's another way I just confirmed.
1. Go to the thread you're interested in and click the "Watch" button at the upper right of any page in the thread. Confirm it.
2. Go to a post by the user you want to ignore. Hover over the avatar. Click "Ignore".
3. Refresh the page. Confirm that the user you just ignored doesn't appear.
4. Under "Watched" in the Home/New Posts/Watched bar you'll probably see a red-boxed number for the count of watched threads that have new posts (assuming the watched thread is very active). Click it.
5. Your list of watched threads should appear. Notice that the thread you chose to Watch DOES NOT appear in the list. This is because you're ignoring the user who started the thread.
6. Look at the lower right of the list for "Show ignored content". Click it.
7. Observe that the watched thread started by the ignored user now appears.
8. Click the thread and it should take you to the first unread post in the thread.

This works because when you're ignoring someone, almost every page that would otherwise show content by that user will instead show a "Show ignored content" link somewhere on the page.

I haven't confirmed this on every possible page, but I've seen it enough times in different contexts that I thought checking for it in the Watched list was worth doing. When I did, I saw it and knew that Watching a thread could work even for ignored users.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.