Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mat1696

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 30, 2021
Hi everyone,
Am I the only one? I have an iPhone 12 and since I upgraded to iOS 15 my iPhone never autoconnects to other bluetooth devices (except Airpods and Apple Watch). It can be Car bluetooth or other bluetooth devices…
It only works just after restarting the phone or when I just repaired a device (but the day after it doesn’t work anymore)…
I’m on iOS 15.3… and want to know if that’s a widespread issue or only me experiencing it…

Reactions: Samdh90

Samdh90

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2021
Have you tried using the "Forget" option for the BlueTooth device that won't autoconnect. If not, I would try that first, if that fails, use the "Reset Network Settings." Just be advised that this also resets any saved WiFI networks as well.

Reactions: NoGood@Usernames

mat1696

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 30, 2021
Have you tried using the "Forget" option for the BlueTooth device that won't autoconnect. If not, I would try that first, if that fails, use the "Reset Network Settings." Just be advised that this also resets any saved WiFI networks as well.
Thanks! I already tried both, but Reset Network settings doesn’t seem to affect Bluetooth (or at least every device stay paired after it).
And I have that issue with every device except my Airpods and my Apple Watch… Weird thing is that it works for a moment (approx. 1 day I’d say) after a reboot or when I unpair and then repair a device…

Samdh90

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2021
Thanks! I already tried both, but Reset Network settings doesn’t seem to affect Bluetooth (or at least every device stay paired after it).
And I have that issue with every device except my Airpods and my Apple Watch… Weird thing is that it works for a moment (approx. 1 day I’d say) after a reboot or when I unpair and then repair a device…
Okay. I will have to see what happens. I have only used a BT headset(Not Apple brand) since I bumped to 15.3. It connected just fine.

Böhme417

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
Bluetooth has been unusable for me in my car since iOS 15. Sometimes it won’t auto connect. Sometimes it’ll just randomly disconnect even if I’m in the middle of a call. Resetting network settings, as suggested by nearly every support article, seemingly does nothing to Bluetooth as you said. I keep hoping for improvement with every update, but alas…

Samdh90

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2021
One thing that you can try, I know it is a pain but set the restore and wipe the phone, then set it as new and see if it helps. One thing you can try before this is to restore all settings. I thought reset network worked on BT, maybe Apple changed this. The reset all settings should definitely reset the BT settings though. I would only suggest a wipe a reset as a last result but in the past has solved weird issues on my end

keepsec

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2019
Have you found a fix? I have exactly the same problem since a full reset of my iPhone 11 Pro. I didn‘t restore any backup after the reset.

mat1696

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 30, 2021
Have you found a fix? I have exactly the same problem since a full reset of my iPhone 11 Pro. I didn‘t restore any backup after the reset.
I sent a Feedback and contacted directly the Bluetooth engineering team at Apple (not sure I can send their email here, though). They got back to me very quickly, and they clearly wanted to know more (I had to install a specific Bluetooth diagnose profile and reproduce the issue), plus I got a call from an Applecare representative to know more about it. Btw I have been really surprised by Apple that time, because generally feedback stay "Open" and they don't care about bugs and issues... But of course, after installing the profile... the problem stopped, so unable to send them precise logs... It still hasn't happened again, which is a very good thing, as I had this bug since the installation of iOS 15.

You can maybe try installing the profile to see if it magically fixes things like it did for me. And if it doesn't, try sending feedback and contacting them, they really seem to want Bluetooth working reliably.

keepsec

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2019
Thank you for your reply! I tried it, and it worked until the profile auto expired. Now I have the same problem again.

Samdh90

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2021
Thank you for your reply! I tried it, and it worked until the profile auto expired. Now I have the same problem again.
I would probably send feedback to Apple in that case as well as advising them that the above cert solved the issue before it expired. Probably would better help the engineering team with solving the bug.

keepsec

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2019
I still have the same issue too. On iOS Beta 16 it went away and came back on the final relase and is still present till 16.1.

I tried to find a solution with Apple but they said that it was my iPhone 11 Pro that was broken. Due to a water damage I got it replaced 4 months ago with the same model firectly from Apple. The Problem is still there and now they say that the replacement iPhone is again broken. For me it is clearly a software bug that affects some users in a specific setup.(Aplle Watch and Airpods auto connect work)

I then tried to look myself into the problem and I downloaded PacketLogger which you can download with Xcdoe Addistional Tools directly from Apple even without a Devlopper Account. Then I installed the Bluetooth Profile WITHOUT RESTART on my iPhone so the issue was there and autoconnect didn't work. When you open PacketLogger and start logging your bluetooth you will see all packets. When I treied to autoconnect I got an Error Status: OxOD - Connection Rejected Due To Limited Resources. So the iPhone is refusing the incoming auto connect request.

I never found a solution exept a restart of the phone that works only for 2-3 days. I sent Apple all the Log files but without getting a solution.

Attachments

• LOGGER_SCREEN_!.png
    LOGGER_SCREEN_!.png
    542.9 KB · Views: 97
Reactions: HDFan

mat1696

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 30, 2021
I still have the same issue too. On iOS Beta 16 it went away and came back on the final relase and is still present till 16.1.

I tried to find a solution with Apple but they said that it was my iPhone 11 Pro that was broken. Due to a water damage I got it replaced 4 months ago with the same model firectly from Apple. The Problem is still there and now they say that the replacement iPhone is again broken. For me it is clearly a software bug that affects some users in a specific setup.(Aplle Watch and Airpods auto connect work)

I then tried to look myself into the problem and I downloaded PacketLogger which you can download with Xcdoe Addistional Tools directly from Apple even without a Devlopper Account. Then I installed the Bluetooth Profile WITHOUT RESTART on my iPhone so the issue was there and autoconnect didn't work. When you open PacketLogger and start logging your bluetooth you will see all packets. When I treied to autoconnect I got an Error Status: OxOD - Connection Rejected Due To Limited Resources. So the iPhone is refusing the incoming auto connect request.

I never found a solution exept a restart of the phone that works only for 2-3 days. I sent Apple all the Log files but without getting a solution.
Did you send them directly to the bluetooth engineering team or via Apple Support? That’s the only team at apple that seems to care and they were pretty responsive… except the problem goes away for me as soon as I install a Bluetooth profile.

edit: I’ll send to you direct e-mail address to reach out directly to the engineering. Check your DM’s.

Last edited:

alexanderc

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2022
Did anyone find a solution here? I have the exact same issue. It has been with me through three different iPhone devices now, for at least 8 months. I have run Packetlogger, and I get the same error message as above: "Connection Rejected Due To Limited Resources".

I am supposed to have a call with Apple Support tomorrow, but I guess it will take a good while to get the issue up through the service lines. The only thing I haven't tried is a DFU restore - anyone had a luck with that?

mat1696

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 30, 2021
Did that work?
Unfortunately nothing new for now…
Did anyone find a solution here? I have the exact same issue. It has been with me through three different iPhone devices now, for at least 8 months. I have run Packetlogger, and I get the same error message as above: "Connection Rejected Due To Limited Resources".

I am supposed to have a call with Apple Support tomorrow, but I guess it will take a good while to get the issue up through the service lines. The only thing I haven't tried is a DFU restore - anyone had a luck with that?
Please keep us informed! Are you on iOS 16 or 15?

keepsec

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2019

Hi! I contacted Apple Engineering and created feedback. Sadly, I didn‘t get any response and the feedback is still open.

I thought that the issue went away after the AirPods Pro latest update because it worked for 3 weeks straight, which never happened before. Yesterday the issue came back.

Do you have AirPods or an Apple Watch? Which iPhone models you had the issue with?

alexanderc

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2022
Apple support's theory was that there must have been some form of corruption in the iCloud backup, seeing that it came back on several devices when restoring from setup. The only solution thay had was to do a full DFU restore and start "from scratch" - meaning that I could connect to iCloud etc. but not do a restore of the backup. I have done that (after quite a struggle to get the phone in DFU mode) and so far it seems promising. No reconnection issues so far.

keepsec

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2019
Apple support's theory was that there must have been some form of corruption in the iCloud backup, seeing that it came back on several devices when restoring from setup. The only solution thay had was to do a full DFU restore and start "from scratch" - meaning that I could connect to iCloud etc. but not do a restore of the backup. I have done that (after quite a struggle to get the phone in DFU mode) and so far it seems promising. No reconnection issues so far.
I have done this twice and the issue came always back. I hope it could be a fix for you!

keepsec

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2019
I found a workaround for the issue. I created an automation in Shortcuts that disables the Bluetooth every night at a specific time, waits for 30 seconds and enables it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.