Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Six0Four

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 27, 2020
Bought 2 Macbook Air 15 M3's. Both have this exact same issue. See the light leak out in the bottom left. This is leaking where the gasket is leading me to think there is missing adhesive behind the LCD. Noticeable in dark room, high brightness, black/dark background. Does yours have this issue?

Thanks.

Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 6.07.08 AM.png

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
I can't say mine does, no. But that said, I don't use it in the conditions you describe. I can't replicate it when I try, though I do see slight variations in backlight.

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
Noticeable in dark room, high brightness, black/dark background. Does yours have this issue?

Solution: Don't work in a dark room with the MBA on high brightness, while looking at a dark/black background!

We can drive ourselves crazy looking for — and finding — minor imperfections that show up only in extreme circumstances. It's not worth it. You'll end up with OCD or make it worse.

I have the M2 version of your laptop and the display is wonderful. (Ignoring the notch, that is! 😁)

But I definitely won't test my MBA in a dark room with the backlight turned way, way up while looking at a photo of a black cow standing in a dark field on a moonless night at midnight! 😁

I'll wager that many 15” MBAs, M2 and M3, will show what you've unearthed. But, unless it's a distraction in your regular use, I’d ignore it.

Indeed, I can't even see the issue in your photo!

Oh, wait! You mean the slight, tiny barely noticeable white vertical dash in the bezel, not the display. If it bothers you — and you're still in a return window — and haven't installed a lot of stuff — return it and get two new laptops.

Or course, they could have other issues… So, if these laptops are, otherwise, good, then ignore it. Like the notch, which is far worse, and far more in your face, that little white dash, only seen in real darkness with backlight way up, should be easily ignored or remain invisible (unlike the notch) in regular use!

Six0Four

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 27, 2020
Solution: Don't work in a dark room with the MBA on high brightness, while looking at a dark/black background!

We can drive ourselves crazy looking for — and finding — minor imperfections that show up only in extreme circumstances. It's not worth it. You'll end up with OCD or make it worse.

I have the M2 version of your laptop and the display is wonderful. (Ignoring the notch, that is! 😁)

But I definitely won't test my MBA in a dark room with the backlight turned way, way up while looking at a photo of a black cow standing in a dark field on a moonless night at midnight! 😁

I'll wager that many 15” MBAs, M2 and M3, will show what you've unearthed. But, unless it's a distraction in your regular use, I’d ignore it.

Indeed, I can't even see the issue in your photo!

Oh, wait! You mean the slight, tiny barely noticeable white vertical dash in the bezel, not the display. If it bothers you — and you're still in a return window — and haven't installed a lot of stuff — return it and get two new laptops.

Or course, they could have other issues… So, if these laptops are, otherwise, good, then ignore it. Like the notch, which is far worse, and far more in your face, that little white dash, only seen in real darkness with backlight way up, should be easily ignored or remain invisible (unlike the notch) in regular use!

Ya I understand where you are coming from. To be quite honest I am not even bothered by the look of the light leaking, it would be impossible to see in normal conditions. The only reason I care about the light leak is I would be worried some dust may be able to creep in there at some point. And knowing my luck it will be when these laptops are out of warranty.

The reason I actually had it on a black screen on high brightness is to look for dead pixels upon purchase since I have had an issue with this in the past. I do the same thing on a white screen.

But, interestingly enough, I did exchange both. In a new colour from a different store (Since I thought it could be a bad batch). Both new ones have the exact same issue 🤣.

Might just live with it. Don't have the time or patience to play the quality control lottery.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
yeah thats ugly, my 15 inch M2 air has none of that

I had a MacBook Pro like that years ago (a unibody one iirc) and my first iPhone 3G with 'rubber gasket seal' issues. was not happy about it at all / swapped it out

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
Don't have this on mine. That shouldn't have passed quality checks. Return it.

eRondeau

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2004
Canada's South Coast
+1000 here! I bought a "base" M1 Mac mini on launch day and I still use it as my main computer. But according to all the YouTube reviewers, forum comments, and general know-it-alls it should be absolutely unusable and I should hate every second I spend with it. Not enough RAM, laughable SSD capacity, SSD is far too slow, Swap memory use destroying SSD life, 60Hz screen refresh is woefully inadequate and flickery... the litany of complaints goes on and on. Yet three years later none of the issues above have affected me and I still love using it for many hours every day. The haters will no-doubt say I'm at fault for not expecting more and maybe they're right. Then again, maybe they're all very wrong.

Six0Four

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 27, 2020
Thanks for the advice guys.

While I will admit it is bad QC, there is no way a majority of people don't have the exact same issue. I went through 6 and only 1 was decent. Tried different stores, different colours and it made no difference.

It's a very common issue but people just tend not to look for it.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007

While I will admit it is bad QC, there is no way a majority of people don't have the exact same issue. I went through 6 and only 1 was decent. Tried different stores, different colours and it made no difference.

I don’t doubt it

Sounds like these m3 15 inch airs are much poorer QC than m2 model was

Reactions: Six0Four

Surfsalot

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2023

Get a 14" M1,2,3 problem solved, way better speakers too.

Reactions: Six0Four
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.