Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BodaciousBBQ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2003
Phiily
Apple is either brilliant or.... well really I guess that is it. I want to buy a PB, but might not just because of cost and because the iBook offers so much software when you buy it. Somebody on another thread mentioned that the PB may be upgraded my Apple VERY SHORTLY. If that is the case, say 2 weeks or less, I'll probably buy the PB and suck up the cost of buying software. Seems like that is what Apple prefers. I was at an Apple store and they kept trying to steer me away from the iBook. Low profit margins, I'ld guess. The ONLY intensive program I would use is iMovie, and that is just as a "home video" project.

That said, is there a particularly good low cost word processor that allows for saving as word files?

Also, if I buy the iBook, what is a user friendly DVD recorder / software.

Thanks, Chuck ( TOTAL MAC NEWBIE )... actually this will be my 1st mac.

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
Get the iBook from a reseller and get MS Office for $199 or less, that would be your best Word compatible wordprocessor ;)

[edit] Oh, and you can get that Office promo with the PowerBook as well or any other Mac [/edit]

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
TextEdit in Panther can open and save .doc Word formatted files. Not sure how well it copes with complex layout/tables/images yet but it works pretty well with text only documents.

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
Re: Brilliant marketing or Pain in the...

Originally posted by BodaciousBBQ
Also, if I buy the iBook, what is a user friendly DVD recorder / software.

You're being a bit vague here. What do you actually want to do, DVD-wise?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.