Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jazz1

Contributor
Original poster
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Recently I've found that BritBox (USA) on my AppleTV box will not turn off. I've searched, and followed BritBox's support page and cannot access the "CC" icon. It is faded out and won't respond to me "clicking" on it. I've also tried to look as Apple's overall setting and CC is not activated. Other streaming services on the AppleTV box within their own app. do respond when turning closed captions on and off.

I find closed captions very distracting and only use them when a non-English language is being used as part of the sound track of what I am watching.

Anyone else having this problem? Any solutions/suggestions would be most welcomed!

Eric Idle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2020
Recently I've found that BritBox (USA) on my AppleTV box will not turn off. I've searched, and followed BritBox's support page and cannot access the "CC" icon. It is faded out and won't respond to me "clicking" on it. I've also tried to look as Apple's overall setting and CC is not activated. Other streaming services on the AppleTV box within their own app. do respond when turning closed captions on and off.

I find closed captions very distracting and only use them when a non-English language is being used as part of the sound track of what I am watching.

Anyone else having this problem? Any solutions/suggestions would be most welcomed!
I blame tvOS on this, not Britbox.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
ask siri "turn off closed caption"
Small addition to that, if you have them off, you can ask siri "what did they say" and she'll rewind a bit and turn on CC, then turn them off again after a bit.

or sometimes there's a caption toggle on the iOS remote app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.