Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Regulus67

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2023
Värmland, Sweden
China won't ever tell why it is buying the US debt. Buying gold is alright, as it can be used to do business with other countries, and make the Yuan tough.
The financial world use collateral pledges to have access to cash, and there is presently no better collateral than US Treasuries. But a lot of the (electronic) dollars used in international trade is created in Europe, through the euro-dollar system.

Gold is gradually more important, because it is politically neutral. And with Basel 3, gold is now valued at 100% in the banking system. It was valued at 50% before Basel 3.

BIS is preparing to launch a CBDC (in a year or two) to replace the US dollar as the world currency.

It should not be impossible to search the internet for this information. If anyone is so inclined.

Last edited:
Reactions: Donfor39

chmania

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2023
and there is presently no better collateral than US Treasuries.
As far as the US thinks that way, it is good for the Global South. There's a lot business going on without the US$. The trust placed on the US$ is waning. Economic sanctions is the game the US had been playing against other countries. And, once they stop depending on the US$ to pay for goods and services, their future becomes better. In another thread here, China had banned certain US internet products off Apple devices in China. And, there's nothing the US can do about that.

Juan is getting tougher, and there is Indian Rupee too.

keithop

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Apple didn't go from "zero to hero" in 13 years.

Agreed.

Apple's success is testament to some really great logistics which is where we know Tim excels... but they've suffered from a real lack of disruptive new tech ( I guess you could argue visionpro ). Tim is the guy you absolutely want looking after operations and finance to enable the passionate product oriented person to concentrate on great new stuff. Without that person you end up with nice, safe, incremental and unexciting updates.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 24, 2021
Well, let's be honest here. Windows laptops would have gone away if it were not for the OEM's and Microsoft with surface line. Windows hardware has exceeded the software to some degree. Ever since Microsoft went to rolling releases with no charge for new versions the focus has shifted from making a great OS with new features to how do we sell a bunch of useless services to people and data mine so they are the profit stream instead of the OS. Horrible idea.

So now we have a Windows that could be so much better if you had to buy each version. I understand technically you are buying a license with a new PC and if you want to build your own but once you have it, it is essentially free from that point on. I am not against this since I hate to pay but I would rather pay $100 for each version i.e. Windows 10, 11 , possibly 12 and so on than the way it is now and MS trying to figure out every way under the sun to make money from us.

So while I have issues with Apple as the reason I started this thread I am not saying Windows or MacOS are better than one another. They are pretty much equal with different strengths and weaknesses.

Microsoft has a lot of work to do. For example all hardware drivers for ALL Oem's should be handled by Microsoft update and not OEM's. Microsoft needs to clean up menus and UI elements and make everything more cohesive and unified.

Microsoft could update the file system and make improvements for the modern era. They could also clean up the old legacy code as much as possible and eliminate some bloat.

Apple could do a number of things like bring back the old settings menu.

But both are great OS and if you pay enough, you will get a great experience. Overall though I have to agree in some ways Apple is better in the sense it is easier to set up and use while Windows takes some configuration and setup to get everything talking to each other and working without bloatware. Once you get things set up and have hardware that works well with Windows I find the experience very close to MacOS. Very, close. Even email notifications now look a lot like MacOS.

johnc22

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
Atlanta
I've probably used Windows more than I've used Macs because I'm a .NET web developer for over 25 years. But, my last two personal laptops have been MacBooks. The first was the original Air that my fiancé/wife stole and the second, that I'm still using today, is a mid-2014 MacBook Pro 13". We both have iPhones, iPads and I have a Watch. We are Apple stockholders.

BUT, as I go to look to replace my MacBook Pro at 10 years of trouble-free (ok needed a new charger, the battery needs service, the screen has some scratches), I'm having a hard time with Apple's offerings/pricing. My wife has an M2 Air that has so far had what I consider to be three serious defects: the bezel below the screen has a cosmetic crack from out of nowhere, the screen tends to go black and require a hard reset/reboot to get back to life (screen angle sensor?) and finally the trackpad has started acting schizo. I didn't spring for Apple Care unfortunately so potentially looking at $100's in repairs on a laptop that cost $1200 just over 16 months ago. So, my easy upgrade would be the new M3 Air but based on my wife's experience with basically similar hardware, I'm hesitant.

If I translate the $1500 cost of a 16GB/512GB MacBook M3 Air, or even more on a stripper MacBook Pro, into the range of Windows laptops I can buy (with better specs) then my decision is even harder. Part of the WOW factor of my MacBook Pro is simply that it has endured 10 years of daily service without a hitch, no RMA's, no replaced parts, no hanging out at the Genius Bar, etc. I do not expect to get that out of any Windows laptop and probably not the newer MacBooks either. The reason I haven't replaced the old timer yet is simply that I can't decide what to do. My heart says Mac but my brain and wallet say Windows.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 24, 2021
I've probably used Windows more than I've used Macs because I'm a .NET web developer for over 25 years. But, my last two personal laptops have been MacBooks. The first was the original Air that my fiancé/wife stole and the second, that I'm still using today, is a mid-2014 MacBook Pro 13". We both have iPhones, iPads and I have a Watch. We are Apple stockholders.

BUT, as I go to look to replace my MacBook Pro at 10 years of trouble-free (ok needed a new charger, the battery needs service, the screen has some scratches), I'm having a hard time with Apple's offerings/pricing. My wife has an M2 Air that has so far had what I consider to be three serious defects: the bezel below the screen has a cosmetic crack from out of nowhere, the screen tends to go black and require a hard reset/reboot to get back to life (screen angle sensor?) and finally the trackpad has started acting schizo. I didn't spring for Apple Care unfortunately so potentially looking at $100's in repairs on a laptop that cost $1200 just over 16 months ago. So, my easy upgrade would be the new M3 Air but based on my wife's experience with basically similar hardware, I'm hesitant.

If I translate the $1500 cost of a 16GB/512GB MacBook M3 Air, or even more on a stripper MacBook Pro, into the range of Windows laptops I can buy (with better specs) then my decision is even harder. Part of the WOW factor of my MacBook Pro is simply that it has endured 10 years of daily service without a hitch, no RMA's, no replaced parts, no hanging out at the Genius Bar, etc. I do not expect to get that out of any Windows laptop and probably not the newer MacBooks either. The reason I haven't replaced the old timer yet is simply that I can't decide what to do. My heart says Mac but my brain and wallet say Windows.

I would actually say that m series Mac's should theoretically last longer than previous Intel based Mac's. The only limiting factor is Apple's software support and calling something obsolete before it's time. Otherwise having an SOC with everything soldiered on should increase reliability.

That being said the rest of the hardware unfortunately has deteriorated in quality. It is not that the design or hardware is bad, rather hardware defects seem more prevalent and wear and tear is also more prevalent than in the past.

Honestly, you would want to spend the same $1500 or so on a Windows laptop. You will get better ram and storage and maybe an OLED screen BUT you could spend around the same for an m3 MBP or m3 Pro MBP for $1799 if you get it on sale which for the extra power might be worth it but the regular m3 14" MBP is a decent laptop for most people and a better laptop than then the 13" MBA unless lightness and lack of fans is important to you more than speakers and screen. The 15" M3 MBA is also a very nice choice.

If you go that route I think you will be happier since you have an iPhone and iPad there is no real benefit going Windows and a lot of headache unless you switch out all your devices.

Mac's aren't cheap. The old bargain was you would keep your Mac for a long time and recoup the money spent over time and through higher resale value but those dynamics have drastically changed. Apple would like you to upgrade your Mac every 3 years or less and part of the base models widely available are to encourage that. Upgrades to ram and SSD are prohibitively expensive past a certain point but up to a point are competitive.

Windows laptops by comparison may offer better hardware for less and Windows will run on most laptops on average for a similar 10 year period. The difference is the Mac will run a lot better at the end compared to the Windows laptop because of outdated drivers. Surface devices are an exception to this since Microsoft updates everything.

Honestly the idea of keeping a personal laptop for 10 years is probably no longer going to happen on most consumer devices. Chromebook's might be one of the rare exceptions since the OS is light and supported for 9 years on new release devices with a new chipset. I don't know of any other OS that is officially supported as long? However, decent hardware on Chromebook's is limited as is the OS itself. There are some advantages in security but privacy is questionable. Most people would never consider ChromeOS as a primary OS and use it only as a daily driver. So the point is probably mute.

JustinePaula

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
If I translate the $1500 cost of a 16GB/512GB MacBook M3 Air, or even more on a stripper MacBook Pro, into the range of Windows laptops I can buy (with better specs) then my decision is even harder. Part of the WOW factor of my MacBook Pro is simply that it has endured 10 years of daily service without a hitch, no RMA's, no replaced parts, no hanging out at the Genius Bar, etc.
Exactly, my 2013 Macbook Pro, 8GB, standard is still working 100% after more than 10 years, but here is the rub, I would have spent more than a replacement on upgrades had the upgrades existed, RAM, SSD, RAID, that sort of thing, a decent external monitor.. Keyboards...

That is the problem, Apple Inc by "banning" or going the no upgrade path, kind of was a mistake, Tim tries to justify this, but it was a mistake, I see the local reseller here is flogging mac laptops with free upgrades from 8 to 16GB, you save R6000..saving 6 grand on a 60 grand laptop is not saving all that much...

The point is, encourage post purchase upgrading, this is a 2 income stream, as folks will upgrade, I get the whole reason why no upgrade path, I use my 2013 macbook pro for emails, youtube, basic admin, my 2020 M1 Macbook Air is my video editing system, I would love to have over the last 4 yrs upgraded, but that money I set aside each month just goes to buy the bank CEO another new German automobile, or AVgas for their priv jet...Instead of going to pay Tim's bonuses... I would rather pay Tim, than some ceo of a local bank..

chmania

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2023
Interesting matter with Win11 for home, at least in the EU,
Screenshot 2024-04-24 083622.png

MS Edge can be uninstalled. :)

chmania

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2023
And, not much bloat, that can't be uninstalled
Screenshot 2024-04-24 085325.png
Screenshot 2024-04-24 085807.png

at least in the EU...

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Of course. Why even ask?
Because when a company is too big and affects competition, or is abusing its position to influence and/or force smaller companies to accept terms and conditions that it would not other do. Those companies can even cause smaller companies to go out of business
Here's The Real Reason Apple's Sapphire Supplier Went Bankrupt

Squiller also called GTAT's Apple partnership "a classic bait-and-switch strategy" and "onerous."

Apple's market position and actions are under investigation and I think that's a good thing

chmania

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2023
Yeah, I wish the US was similarly focused on the consumer
The same way, the US wants TikTok to change its owner -- there could be large, efficient technological companies, but must be based in the US. The Global South is more than 6billion, minus the US, Canada, Australia, NZ, Japan, S. Korea, UK and the EU. Would like to see how the EU parliament try to block TikTok. It'd be fun! :)

The US (and the EU) tried hard against Huawei, only resulted in Huawei growing even faster. Oppo is growing, Xiaomi is growing. even producing EVs.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The same way, the US wants TikTok to change its owner
My problem with that that law, is what is tiktok doing differently then google, facebook, microsoft? They are all collecting data, but people get all high and mighty about a foreign company suddenly collecting. Why not force all of them to stop. Btw, I don't use tiktok, I couldn't care less if its blocked but its hypocritical to point out one company like that

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
My problem with that that law, is what is tiktok doing differently then google, facebook, microsoft? They are all collecting data, but people get all high and mighty about a foreign company suddenly collecting. Why not force all of them to stop. Btw, I don't use tiktok, I couldn't care less if its blocked but its hypocritical to point out one company like that
In essence I think you're totally right, that the fundamental problem here is the collection of data, often without the individual's knowledge or explicit agreement. It's pervasive and as you say, everybody does it.

The idea that what, say, Google collect is less injurious to the US than what TikTok does misses the point that what data Google has is capable of leaking out anyway, so all data harvesting is bad and injurious.

But the problem with TikTok isn't just that it harvests data, but where that data is coming from, where it's going, and crucially, who is paying for it. The document at https://crsreports.congress.gov/product/pdf/IN/IN12131 is short and simple, and explains part of the problem, which is that TikTok claims the data from US users is kept safe and secure and not shared with Chinese authorities, but that there are reasons to believe this isn't true.

In particular, a driver for blocking the use of TikTok in the US is the number of people in sensitive positions in government and military who use it, so the fact there's evidence (through security researchers) that TikTok's public statements of data security are not mirrored by their private actions on data sharing is rather like Allied governments during WWII allowing German and Japanese contractors to install microphones in government buildings on the promise that they're not going to be switched on.

An additional problem is that the Chinese authorities have an extensive history of aggressive data harvesting against potential or actual economic and political powers who oppose them, so whether happily cooperative or forced into compliance by the authorities, TikTok's harvesting is a very real threat. This not least because while they agreed to ring fence the data, some is stored in Chinese servers in Singapore, where there are no actionable US protections.

The big concern is not actually TikTok or its current owners, but the fact that these entities are directly under the control of the Chinese state.

I'd be rather doubtful that the TikTok ban in the US will or should be upheld by the courts, but it does point up the very thorny subject of why it could be necessary to regulate the IT industry, and if so, where the lines are drawn as to where.

Reactions: Technerd108

chmania

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2023
An additional problem is that the Chinese authorities have an extensive history of aggressive data harvesting against potential or actual economic and political powers who oppose them, ...
The US gov't doesn't? Heard of German Chancellor Merkel's phone being hacked?

Reactions: UliBaer

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 24, 2021
There are too many legitimate concerns regarding Tik Tok and it is too lengthy a subject to get into here.

At the same time I think if there are security concerns for government employees/military that they should be banned from using tik tok. I don't agree with an all out ban on the app. It seems like it could be a slippery slope for 1st amendment violations in the future.

What the US should do is label the app as a propaganda tool of the CCP. They should warn people and the US should do a complete forensic analysis of what the app is doing not just data harvesting but how does it deliver content and what do the algorithm's do? Is there a difference in content generated and type of content in US vs China? What are those differences?

Basically is we can study the app and see how it truly works and see if it is weaponized. Warn people of the dangers. Restrict use for all government employees and military.

Banning it outright seems draconian and un-American.

It is not like the Us and other countries have used media tools for spreading propaganda. It is a pretty well known tactic among all countries. The CCP just did it in a really new and smart way using an app basically beating the competition at their game. BUT NO ONE said anything for years!! I said this was a potential threat years ago but an outright ban was not something I ever considered.

Stop banning and boycotting everything. Why not just be smart and not use something that you know is controlled by an adversary? Why do we have to explain this to people? Because we basically have been acting like an adversary was a friend for way too long. I think most people in the West are confused!

Most people in the West don't realize we are already in a WAR! It is a cold war with a lot of flash points and smoldering spots but it is a war none the less. The sooner that people in the West realize the truth maybe they will get their heads out of their @sses and start to act appropriately. Until then, people will use Tik Tok and think nothing of it and if the governments around the world start to ban it then they will be curtailing free speech and freedom instead of defending it by banning things.

Warn people and let them make up their minds. Restrict use in critical fields and punish those who don't comply. Tik Tok is a national security threat but curtailing our freedoms and free speech to reduce our exposure to a threat seems counter to the entire point of being in a free country. Educate people on the threat and take all the steps possible that don't diminish the 1st amendment in any way.

I would say the same thing to CCP competition in electronics. Don't ban anything from Huawei, or restrict commercial tech in any way. Dual use and military application type tech should be restricted but anything else should be free market. BUT if CCP is going to subsidize their tech industry and let companies like Xiaomi run at a profit margin no other company could exist on then the US and West should do the same thing. I don't think Apple needs help but other companies like Samsung, Qualcomm, Intel, Microsoft, could all get subsidies from the government so they can be more competitive with the Chinese competition. Same in other industries too.

What I am saying is to level the playing field and stop banning stuff from China. It is not fair. China has been a very good business partner to the US and many big companies have made billions with the help of the CCP. So let's not have any illusions here. When Western corporations were getting a sweet deal and exploiting cheap labor and manufacturing to the decimation of domestic industries they didn't care. When concerns over labor and human rights they didn't care. Concerns over heavy carbon or fossil fuel use to power the manufacturing they didn't care. Genocide of a religious minority? They didn't care. NOW that CCP possibly threatens their very businesses they help set up in China is a rich irony and the reason it is a problem now when before it wasn't. I also find it funny how the US is saying how China's over production threatens the West???? Really? CCP has been over producing and dumping product for decades but now it is a problem??? The hypocrisy is rich and makes it hard for me as a Westerner to take a lot of these recent warnings very seriously. I understand the implications to the economy but I also feel like it is cherry picking and they can't have it both ways. When China produces a lot of goods and makes a lot of items more affordable to average consumer and that is a good thing for standard of living. It is why although inflation has made a lot of things unaffordable a lot of goods are cheaper today than several decades ago when adjusted for inflation. But when China produces too much it is now a threat to the world economy?? You see a double standard?

So if the West is serious and takes CCP now as a threat then they need to start to act like it. Corporations in the West need to start re-industrializing their respective countries and pay more for everything. If the West is truly going to treat CCP as the threat it is and realize they are already in a war then it is possible to change. As it is now, everything is half measures and talk with little real change. It may already be too late, but if the entire Western block of nations bands together and builds up their industrial base, subsidizes the industrial base and technology sectors and competes then it is possible for a fair fight. Banning and restricting software for commercial Chinese tech firms is wrong and shows weakness on the side of those doing the banning. Have a fair fight but get up and start fighting! Subsidize don't ban. Restrict apps but don't ban them from the general public-rather educate them on the threat.

I see a lot of talk now about China and CCP but all of the talk is way too late and so are a lot of the actions. On top of that, the actions are punishing the rights of the West by bans not the CCP?? If we are going to realize the position we are already in then we should act accordingly but with calm and strategic action not short sighted over-reactions.

chmania

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2023
So if the West is serious and takes CCP now as a threat then they need to start to act like it. Corporations in the West need to start re-industrializing their respective countries and pay more for everything.
Without China, what would you have in your shops in the US?

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 24, 2021
Without China, what would you have in your shops in the US?
I have no problem with Chinese made products. They have allowed many in the West to enjoy a standard of living they couldn't afford otherwise and I am surely one who can say this. At the same time I would have preferred to have bought from a US company if available and paid more if my wages would have kept up. I think a majority of people in the US are in this category. It is not a hate for another country rather the idea that if you support your local economy and industry it benefits the entire economy and provides jobs for those who don't get a college degree. It is a simple idea and it also has environmental impacts as well. It is a lot less resource intensive to produce goods and services locally than ship them half way around the world. So there are a lot of factors.

But I also hate Sinophobia I see increasing in the West. Chinese people and culture are not an enemy. A dictatorship that is communist and seeks world domination and see's the US as a primary enemy is what I am concerned with. I am concerned with an economic war as well as a cold war being waged on multiple fronts.

I would love for the West and East to get along and try to see that we can co-exist and even thrive if we work together and see each other as very strong world power competing with each other and if we can play fair with each other then it could be possible to avoid conflict and benefit from each other. If we see each other or if one see's another as an enemy then we are both doomed to conflict in a world where the stakes of conflict are increasingly higher and end with no winner. If we can respect each other and the West stop trying to exploit cheap labor and manufacturing around the globe and start producing locally at a fair price then maybe we can avoid conflict. As I see it though both sides are pretty much entrenched and the outcome of that entrenchment may not be good for anyone.

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
There are too many legitimate concerns regarding Tik Tok and it is too lengthy a subject to get into here.
I certainly agree that this is not the topic for this thread, and it seems likely to be removed since it is political, and there is a news story on it already at https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-congress-passes-bill-requiring-sale.2424807/ so the mods may see this as a publication of that. But...
... and the US should do a complete forensic analysis of what the app is doing not just data harvesting but how does it deliver content and what do the algorithm's do? Is there a difference in content generated and type of content in US vs China? What are those differences?...
This has been done. Or at least as much as it is possible to do in practice without being granted access to their servers and data management algorithms. I'm not sure why anyone (apologies, not meaning you, just in general) would think that security researchers and specialists have not been busy doing exactly this for some time. That's where much of the substantive concern over data risk comes from.

However, this really is at best not on your topic, which I thought plenty interesting enough without the swerve off into geo-politics!

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 24, 2021
I certainly agree that this is not the topic for this thread, and it seems likely to be removed since it is political, and there is a news story on it already at https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-congress-passes-bill-requiring-sale.2424807/ so the mods may see this as a publication of that. But...

This has been done. Or at least as much as it is possible to do in practice without being granted access to their servers and data management algorithms. I'm not sure why anyone (apologies, not meaning you, just in general) would think that security researchers and specialists have not been busy doing exactly this for some time. That's where much of the substantive concern over data risk comes from.

However, this really is at best not on your topic, which I thought plenty interesting enough without the swerve off into geo-politics!
I agree. Mods can do as they see fit. Wasn't even going to respond but what the heck since the thread already veered off topic.

I guess I meant an analysis of the algorithms? How content is curated and how the app analyzes a users habits and adjusts. This could be tweaked in such a way that it serves content that is self destructive etc. and is tailored to your likes and dislikes. In other words a type of phycological opp against users. Not just what it is reporting too?

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
I agree. Mods can do as they see fit. Wasn't even going to respond but what the heck since the thread already veered off topic.

I guess I meant an analysis of the algorithms? How content is curated and how the app analyzes a users habits and adjusts. This could be tweaked in such a way that it serves content that is self destructive etc. and is tailored to your likes and dislikes. In other words a type of phycological opp against users. Not just what it is reporting too?
This isn't something we can really know, and since they appear to have been rather disingenuous with their information, it's really only possible to trust what we can directly observe in data traffic, or extrapolate - which leaves some doubts as to precision and accuracy.

We do, however, know a lot, and it is deeply concerning.

What doesn't happen with these kind of things is a public discussion, which in this case might actually be advantageous, but generally would be anything but.

Anyway, I don't want to get into the politics of it or I'd be (maybe) participating in the news thread, I just wanted to point out that much of the background research into how the app works, what data it harvests, where (users and topics of apparent interest) the user base is targeted, how data is stored, and who has access to it has all been done or is actively under way. What we don't know is exactly what is shared with Chinese authorities, and whether it is habitual, ad hoc, or to specific order. That part of it might be discernible, but I can't say with any direct knowledge.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 24, 2021
It looks like AI is coming with Win11 24H2...
Pretty sure it is already in 23h2 with co-pilot preview. Some laptops already have a dedicated copilot button and are available now.

Like it or not AI is already a part of iOS, Android, Windows and probably MacOS too. Have no idea about Linux but I bet it is safe for now.

However, what is it about AI in an OS is bad?? Or are you just saying it is there??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.