Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chmania

Suspended
Dec 2, 2023
What beauty?

Safari used to be on windows, it never grabbed any market share and it wasn't very good, i.e., it ran rather poorly on windows.
That's the 'beauty' of the closed source!
All a company, country, government, political party etc needs is to brainwash people to follow them...and, once they get you, you are in a mental prison, having the Stockholm Syndrome. ;)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
That's the 'beauty' of the closed source!
All a company, country, government, political party etc needs is to brainwash people to follow them...and, once they get you, you are in a mental prison, having the Stockholm Syndrome. ;)
So you're saying 99% of browser users are brainwashed because that's around the percentage of people using proprietary software.

Open source is not the panacea that many people make it out to be. There road to open source is littered with promising, and inventive applications that simply disappear or whither on the vine untouched. Many open source applications look rather horrible compared to commercial software and being open source is no guarantee of safety. Vulnerabilities have been discovered in many OS products, some of which have been there for many many years.

chmania

Suspended
Dec 2, 2023
So you're saying 99% of browser users are brainwashed because that's around the percentage of people using proprietary software.
Not really. It's simply about why Safari won't have such an audience. Same as any Mac apps. Apple loves to have Windows apps (apps written for Windows at the beginning), Linux apps (open source apps written for Linux at the beginning) to run on macOS, iOS and so on, but won't like (or abhor) Mac apps to run-on any other platform.

By the way, read the OP again.

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
Not really. It's simply about why Safari won't have such an audience. Same as any Mac apps. Apple loves to have Windows apps (apps written for Windows at the beginning), Linux apps (open source apps written for Linux at the beginning) to run on macOS, iOS and so on, but won't like (or abhor) Mac apps to run-on any other platform.

By the way, read the OP again.
I really don't understand what you are trying to say here. This isn't true at all. Take novel writing apps. Lit-and-Latte with Scrivener decided that the windows market was too lucrative and created a Windows version just fine--even though the original was written in Objective C.

Then you have Ulysses. The creators of Ulysses decided that it isn't worth it to code a Windows version--same with the makers of DEVONThink. Again, though, this has nothing to do with Apple?

TJ82

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
I didn't know how to broach this subject because I am not writing this based on one OS or hardware's superiority. I like Mac's. They are beautiful, functional and powerful. They are a rip off to a certain extent, I hate Apple's business practices and manufacturing. I hate a lot of things within the various OS that Apple develops. But I love a lot of it too. Not the first sentence but the second, The OS is pretty sweet, and the various devices all have great software and hardware. Apple is pretty much King in terms of the "Best". The best security, the best design, the best cpu/gpu in mobile, and so much more. So I am no hater of Apple. But over time things have gotten to a point where I either hobble along and deal with it or I vote with my dollars to hopefully start to make a change.

I am one person so I am meaningless to Apple but if enough people in a similar situation as I am do what I do then it will start to hurt Apple's bottom line and then they might pay attention and start to change.

I am talking about the ladder and lock in. Two things I hate most about Apple right now. There equipment in some cases is objectively better but not in all areas. The ladder is the technique of upselling the customer by holding back certain features that are not costly but hamper user experience in such a way a user wants to go up the ladder to the better model, then they will want better than base specs. Everything pushes you up the ladder and gets progressively more expensive. Ram/SSD upgrades anyone? Pro motion only on a pro device although pro motion would enhance the overall experience of all users and is not a pro level feature in other brand devices. This pushes many consumers to buy an iPad Pro over an iPad Air when they really only need an air for their use case.

Lock in we all know the Apple ecosystem is great. Say you have an iPhone a Mac and an iPad. They all work great together and you can share files, make calls and texts from any device. Say you get an Android phone and keep the rest. Now your entire ecosystem is broken and no longer can you do any of the things you could with your iPhone. Even though you bought the Mac and iPad and should have the same functionality no matter the phone or computer you use but Apple locks you in and gimps your experience on purpose so you don't buy anything other than Apple products. Apple could easily offer some basic compatibility and basic feature sharing but they don't. They could still offer more features for Apple products but give all basic compatibility and save special features for Apple to encourage people to buy Apple rather than just have it wreck their experience.

So it is been a long time coming but I have decided to let go of my Mac and iPad and just go Windows and Android for a while. I don't know if I will go back to Apple because until they change I would be forced to go all in or nothing. I don't want to buy something and have half the features work because of free choice. The convenience for lock in is a bargain I am no longer willing to make and I shouldn't. Apple should want their products to work well with other products just from a business use perspective.

I know a lot of people don't care about this issue or even like it and it makes them feel exclusive or special in a special group or club. But I want to use multiple different devices together and not have to have separate ecosystems. So I will stay on Windows/Linux/Android side of things. I may be back because I still like Apple. Then I could talk cost. I can't afford to keep two separate platforms, it has become too expensive in this economy for me. I can get so much more ram and ssd and better hardware with a couple of exceptions for a lot less than Apple. Sure a 16" MBP with M3 Pro is a better laptop than my 16" Samsung GalaxyBook 4 Pro 360 in some ways but it costs a lot more and is a lot heavier and the Ultra is available if I needed graphic horsepower and it is still cheaper than equivalent MBP. Obviously Intel has not caught up with m series yet. Although Meteor lake is a huge step in the right direction it is NOT YET equivalent to M3 in all areas. But the difference in terms of performance and battery life are so much better than before that Intel is now in m series ballpark. Intel has to get to 4nm probably before they will be competitive directly but by then who knows how advanced Apple m series will be. But in my opinion it is not about having the absolute best but good enough. Specially if I am saving over $1000. I personally think Intel is finally good enough. Room for a lot of improvement-yes. But good enough I can go a whole day without worrying about charging and I can get the same performance on battery as plugged in if I adjust settings and battery life is still good enough. Maybe I get 6-8 hours slamming the machine on battery vs 10-12 if I am not. I can deal with those numbers. What sucked before was 3-6 hours average battery life with 1-2 on heavy use and a big difference throttled on battery no matter the settings. That is a huge improvement.

So I have settled on two devices since I have to have a back up device no matter what platform and I like a 14" and 16" for different taks. I was going to get a 14" chromebook but they suck so much in terms of getting a nice chromebook that doesn't cost $1000. So in order to get a fast and responsive Chromebook with a decent ssd, ram, and processor, decent bright screen and speakers in something other than plastic you are looking at $1000 and the specs still aren't as good as a comparable priced Windows laptop. So I ditched that idea and decided on two Windows laptops, one Android tablet, an Android phone, an android watch and some ear buds. They all work flawlessly together and have more features than are available in an Mac.

So my two laptops have OLED 120hz touchscreens with AR coating and variable refresh rate and a hardened glass. You can't get anything like it on any Mac no matter how much you spend. I have a pencil or stylus with every major device I own. S pen on phone, tablet and PC. Not available on Mac or iPhone. Then there are new AI features like a circle to search feature in Windows!!

I will sell all my Apple stuff and end up paying a little out of pocket but I will be happy with everything I own. Samsung and HP give generous specs for the cost compared to Apple. I have a 2tb drive on the HP and 1tb drive on Samsung and Samsung gave me a free 2tb portable ssd. If I were to try to get just a 2tb drive it would cost a lot.

Apple products are really great but both Android and Windows OEM's have drastically improved on their top end devices the design, quality and materials to get close or even surpass Apple.

If I were to go all in on Apple with only one laptop, one iPad, one watch and ear buds it would cost me at least double and I would half the specs in order to do it with lesser hardware in some areas. M3 would be faster in some ways but not all. M3 Pro or better is faster and better in battery life but at the price point of pro m3 and decent specs cost gets prohibitive specially in the 16" which I would want but it is such a heavy beast. It is close to 5 pounds while my 16" GB4 is only 3.5 pounds. Big difference. And the GB4 still feels solid and has an objectively better screen for everything but brightness.

So while I will miss Apple and I have no hard feelings I am pretty confident with my choice. I have been using computers since before Apple 2 and Windows 95. I remember DOS and green and amber CRT screens. So I am very comfortable in any computing environment from flashy GUI to Text prompts. Apple and Unix have always been more complex for me to use because there are more steps for me to take toa accomplish the same task in Windows. Linux is very similar to Unix but some interfaces can look a lot like Windows. And I really like the ability to use Linux if I want to on my laptop.

I may visit a Chromebook again when they get some more compelling devices. I really like ChromeOS and being able to use a full Linux install within ChromeOS is very cool. The hardware just needs to catch up. I am not paying $600 for a laptop with EMMC storage or a celeron processor. I can't stand 250nits 45%ntsc screens!! Like put an ultra 7 155h 16gb ddr5x ram, 120hz Oled touch screen, minimum 256gb nvme pci4 ssd. all in a nice aluminum build. Priced at say $799. It would be the perfect Chromebook but now we got crap.

So Windows and Android for now....

Agree with so much of this. In sentiment and detail.

I've taken to resenting so much about Apple even though almost everything we own at our home is made by them.

They represent some of the worst corporate and capitalist practises in humanity while managing to convince the world they're holier than thou. The media is terrified of taking them on. Consumers are blinded by their own desires not realising that tech has become nu-luxury and they've fallen prey to the same pitfalls.

History will not look kindly on Apple or us.

Almost find myself hoping they're unseated by the AI race and tech moves past them. They need a big user drop-off to change for the better and fight for customers again.

When the time comes, my money is ready to move. Been taken for a ride for too long.

chmania

Suspended
Dec 2, 2023
I really don't understand what you are trying to say here. This isn't true at all.
Its quite simple. You can install Win11 in 10 year old Computer. MS even tells how, even they cry not recommended. Apple just obsoletes their own products sold at terribly high prices, even called high-end at that time, and they do that deliberately. Can you install Sonoma on a 2017 Macbook Pro just like that straight from Apple? The 2018 MBP was still made and sold in 2019 by Apple, and then discontinued it in 2019. There's no sureness whether Apple will block the next macOS on that MBP. Where's the user friendliness?

Those machines run Intel i7 and i9 and can live a long time, without becoming a paper weight. Good that at least Windows can run on them, but officially Win10. Who knows how long those 'botcamp' drivers live on. Those MBPs are not even Linux-worthy. Sure, OCLP is there, but ...

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
Its quite simple. You can install Win11 in 10 year old Computer. MS even tells how, even they cry not recommended. Apple just obsoletes their own products sold at terribly high prices, even called high-end at that time, and they do that deliberately. Can you install Sonoma on a 2017 Macbook Pro just like that straight from Apple? The 2018 MBP was still made and sold in 2019 by Apple, and then discontinued it in 2019. There's no sureness whether Apple will block the next macOS on that MBP. Where's the user friendliness?

Those machines run Intel i7 and i9 and can live a long time, without becoming a paper weight. Good that at least Windows can run on them, but officially Win10. Who knows how long those 'botcamp' drivers live on. Those MBPs are not even Linux-worthy. Sure, OCLP is there, but ...
None of that is even close to what you were talking about with windows and mac specific application compatibility. So I am going to assume you had nothing to add to that conversation and THERE GO THE GOALPOSTS!!!!!!!!!

chmania

Suspended
Dec 2, 2023
None of that is even close to what you were talking about with windows and mac specific application compatibility. So I am going to assume you had nothing to add to that conversation and THERE GO THE GOALPOSTS!!!!!!!!!
If you read my earlier posts, you'd realise I didn't change my mind overnight. Apple doesn't allow its software in other platforms, while allowing software from other platforms in Apple devices/OSs. Just imagine if those "Windows" specific apps, Google specific apps etc won't run in MacBooks, iPhones, iPads etc, would they sell this much? Or at all?

Reactions: Technerd108

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
If you read my earlier posts, you'd realise I didn't change my mind overnight. Apple doesn't allow its software in other platforms, while allowing software from other platforms in Apple devices/OSs. Just imagine if those "Windows" specific apps, Google specific apps etc won't run in MacBooks, iPhones, iPads etc, would they sell this much? Or at all?
If you read MY earlier posts, I just gave you several examples of programs that are of both types. If Apple isn't allowing Scrivener to run on Windows, then how did it get there?

If you are talking Apple created apps, then that goes both ways. Microsoft doesn't allow it's Music and TV app on Apple. It doesn't allow many of its apps on Apple. So I guess I don't understand your point here?

Also, Google, Netflix, and others to do this on Mac--not creating apps for Macs. So, again, I don't necessarily understand where you are going with this.

It isn't an insignificant amount of effort to create an entirely new codebase to work with another platform. Scrivener is created in Objective C/Swift, for instance. When Keith wanted to create a windows version, he had to hire Windows developers who used an entirely different language and had to create it from the ground up. It took a few years.

Also, I run Apple Music on my Windows gaming laptop. How is that possible?

Reactions: LeeW and maflynn

drrich2

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2005
The ladder is the technique of upselling the customer by holding back certain features that are not costly but hamper user experience in such a way a user wants to go up the ladder to the better model, then they will want better than base specs. Everything pushes you up the ladder and gets progressively more expensive.
Reminds me of car shopping and the issue of 'trims' - bundling optional features together in packages to upsell the customer into buying more than what's desired. Likewise, cable and satellite t.v. packages rather than selling 'per channel.' My point is, what you describe isn't Apple-exclusive, but pretty common.
Lock in we all know the Apple ecosystem is great. Say you have an iPhone a Mac and an iPad. They all work great together and you can share files, make calls and texts from any device. Say you get an Android phone and keep the rest. Now your entire ecosystem is broken and no longer can you do any of the things you could with your iPhone. Even though you bought the Mac and iPad and should have the same functionality no matter the phone or computer you use but Apple locks you in and gimps your experience on purpose so you don't buy anything other than Apple products. Apple could easily offer some basic compatibility and basic feature sharing but they don't. They could still offer more features for Apple products but give all basic compatibility and save special features for Apple to encourage people to buy Apple rather than just have it wreck their experience.
Bit of a contradiction. You say you 'should' have the same functionality no matter the phone or computer, but then claim Apple could easily offer some basic compatibility and basic feature sharing but offer more/special features to Apple product folks. Contradictory.

Apple is under no obligation and presumably doesn't find a compelling business case to deliberately enable encouraging people to buy competitor products.

I remember when (especially prior to Internet browsers and website services taking away from the dominance of computer operating systems) one of the key arguments against Macs was that Windows had vastly more software options, software for Macs was often a Windows port with inferior features (e.g.: for a time Microsoft Office without the macros, IIRC), and Macs were often frowned on as less compatible with the Windows-dominated world at work, etc...

Compared to that, hearing some young Android users find it painful their text bubbles show up green instead of blue...uh, yeah, cry me a river.
But I want to use multiple different devices together and not have to have separate ecosystems. So I will stay on Windows/Linux/Android side of things.
You know, it's not entirely that way by company choice. A long time ago, I read that when IBM released detailed PC specifications, they hoped to enable accessory products, not the enormously successful PC clone market. When we bought a Windows PC notebook for our 5th grader, I learned Microsoft had the app. shopping experience in a special mode that only downloaded from Microsoft's approved assortment, which is supposed to offer reliable security. To get the drivers for my old multifunctional printer, I had to manually take it out of that mode, and once out, that was it...couldn't put it back. Sounds like Microsoft would like to have a 'walled garden' of their own (I'm old enough to remember when WordPerfect, Lotus 1-2-3 and dBase were big names - then Microsoft Office offered an integrated package (you know, shared interface, not completely unlike a walled garden) and crowded them out). Remember Internet Explorer being offered free? I wonder if Netscape thought Microsoft was fond of respecting the market presence of competing interests... I recently read about Microsoft putting ads in Windows?

So Apple is not exclusive in aiming for a 'walled garden' approach, leveraging dominance against competitors and exploiting their position to make more money. Microsoft seems tamer these days, but there was a time they seemed to be in 'Borg mode' out to assimilate the software computing world.
So my two laptops have OLED 120hz touchscreens with AR coating and variable refresh rate and a hardened glass. You can't get anything like it on any Mac no matter how much you spend. I have a pencil or stylus with every major device I own. S pen on phone, tablet and PC. Not available on Mac or iPhone. Then there are new AI features like a circle to search feature in Windows!!
The Windows world is much larger, broader and more diverse, so yes, you can get devices with a greater range of specifications. That's the tradeoff vs. the tight integration and consistant quality (in a range of ways; build quality, battery efficiency, slickness of user interface, etc...) of the Apple ecosystem. Similarly, people with a 'tinkerer' mindset who like to deep dive into technical manipulation and fine-tuning sometimes prefer the Windows and Android approach.

Apple doesn't tend to play nice with competitors. Their recent battle with the European Union over opening up iPhones and iPads to outside app stores is a good example. It's very understandable many users want that option. But here's a key question - Android phones and tablets are viable alternatives to iPhones and iPads, and the Mac presumably has low enough market share that I don't think Mac owners fully explain the market and 'mind' share of iOS devices. Many people who don't use Macs choose iPhones and iPads over Android alternatives. Why is that?

Last edited:

Regulus67

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2023
Värmland, Sweden
Remember Internet Explorer being offered free? I wonder if Netflix thought Microsoft was fond of respecting the market presence of competing interests... I recently read about Microsoft putting ads in Windows?
I believe you meant Netscape ;)
And Lotus Smartsuite was pretty cool. With desktop tabs one could open/close. I still have that CD somewhere, stored with older software

Lotus Smartsuite.png

drrich2

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2005
I believe you meant Netscape
Yes, thanks! Still had time to Edit, so fixed it.
And Lotus Smartsuite was pretty cool.
I used Lotus' Ami Pro word process on Windows way back. Yes, other companies tried to bundle software into suites to compete with MS Office for Windows, but some of these products came from what at least at first were different companies - remember Word Perfect, Quatro Pro and I think Paradox (database) being bundled together? The uniform interface across MS Office was an advantage. WordPerfect had replaced WordStar and had a large user base vs. MS Word, but Word was seen as a functional peer and bundled with Office on many computers. It made sense for businesses to opt for MS Office, so people got used to using Word, wish displaced WordPerfect as the mainstream word processing standard. Trial versions of MS Office often came on new PCs, ready to activate. To this day, how many people have Excel on their computer mainly as a side effect of getting Word and maybe PowerPoint and/or Outlook? WordPerfect changed ownership a number of times, which didn't inspire confidence - you could buy Microsoft Word without wondering who'd own it in a few years.

My point is, a company leveraging its products to create synergy and raise brand recognition and perceived market/mindshare to gain and hold marketshare and rake in money is far from an Apple exclusive. MS ruled the personal computer OS market, the Office suite market, saw Web browsers as an emerging competing platform and released Internet Explorer free to cripple Netscape, put out MS Money to compete with Quicken, put the Zune out to compete with iPods and when iPhones and Androids went big, they tried to make Windows Phones a major platform. The government had an interest in breaking them up for awhile.

It was assumed back when that Mac ports of Windows app.s lacked features because it wasn't nearly as worthwhile to develop for the Mac user base, and Mac people needed to be grateful for what they could get.

I also recall that back when Steve Jobs was gone and Gil Amelio was in charge, Apple got in bad shape...to the point it appeared to be trending down and possibly at risk for extinction. As much as we love to harp on Apple's way of doing things now (and I think the RAM and SSD upgrade pricing is price-gouging) and Tim Cook specifically, Apple is financially very healthy and their products trend-setters rather than fringe. Going out of their way to make their platform Android-friendly could be dangerous.

In fairness, Android struck me as an iOS knock-off. It's my understanding Steve Jobs was highly upset about it. "I'm going to destroy Android, because it's a stolen product. I'm willing to go thermonuclear war on this," he said per a PCMag source I found via Google. From Apple's perspective, why would they choose to be gracious toward Android users?

chmania

Suspended
Dec 2, 2023
If you read MY earlier posts, I just gave you several examples of programs that are of both types. ...
Tell us how to run Linux on a T2 Intel i7 or i9 MacBook, that Apple had immediately discontinued. After all, Linux runs on any "Windows" laptop, practically out of the box. Even some of those "Windows" laptops are sold without an OS. Linux is, after all, Unix like, and open source.

I have one of those T2 Macbooks, and only Windows 10 is officially allowed by Apple, the device maker. That Windows 10 is going EOL in 2025. And, those MacBooks might go EOL in this year, just because Apple decides to block the next macOS in them. But, we can install 'heavy' Windows 11 in a measly Pentium laptop. Any Linux can be installed on them too. By the way, MS itself showed how to install Widows 11 in the unsupported device, in this case the Intel i7 MBP. Would Apple tell us how to install Sonoma in a 2017 MBP, or the next macOS in a due-to-be-obsoleted 2018 MBP? Willingly?

Reactions: Technerd108

Regulus67

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2023
Värmland, Sweden
"remember Word Perfect, Quatro Pro and I think Paradox (database) being bundled together?"
In fairness, Android struck me as an iOS knock-off. It's my understanding Steve Jobs was highly upset about it. "I'm going to destroy Android, because it's a stolen product. I'm willing to go thermonuclear war on this," he said per a PCMag source I found via Google. From Apple's perspective, why would they choose to be gracious toward Android users?
I only knew Word Perfect, and used it for some time.

Didn't know that about Android. But I was late to the game.

My first smartphone was the Samsung Galaxy S5. Used it for one and a half year, but got so upset that I couldn't update the OS.
Switched to my iPhone 6s, and has been using that ever since. Just love that phone, and iOS.
Incidentally, that was what got me into the Apple eco system 🤣

I will get an iPhone 15 Pro Max that I ordered. Main reason is because I wish to use it to shoot Pro Res LOG video.
But I am not planning to use it as a phone yet. Unless apps I need are no longer working on my old phones.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
and consistant quality (in a range of ways; build quality, battery efficiency, slickness of user interface, etc...)
You should look up the GPU failures from around 2009 through 2013 (give or take a year or two)
butterfly keyboards - now that was a nice one where they tried to gaslight the consumers saying the design is superior and not failing - I think that was around 2016 through 2019

Then there's this wiki Common Mac Issues/Models

While I do believe by and large that Apple products are well designed and made, that doesn't mean apple never lays an egg

jimimac71

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2019
California
I sort of accidentally clicked on the first post versus what is current.
A long post which I had my browser read aloud.
Best post I've ever read as it is way too true.
I know Technerd108 from other threads.
I have to say Windows 10 is giving me fits.
I ran into a problem and did a clean install.
Now the whole system has errors.
I've ordered a DVD of Linux Mint Debian Edition.
Yes I could download but it is over 5 GB.
My 2014 Dell AIO has an optical drive.
I have an iPad 7 which goes EOL this year.
I am using the Chrome browser for Windows and don't like it.
It syncs my bookmarks with Chrome for Android.
Love Firefox for Windows.
I don't love Firefox for Android.
My mother's old 2008 Dell PC needed replacement.
My brother got her a Dell with Windows 11.
Microsoft is doing stuff to annoy the end user.
Ads in the Start Menu?
Are you kidding me?!
Locking people out of pre-2018 computers and Windows 11?!
Millions of machines will go to the boneyard needlessly.
So for me, Microsoft is a vulgar word.
I need to hold my feet to the fire until I can understand Linux.
I too go back to MS-DOS and the Tandy DeskMate software.
For me, half of the Windows releases have been bad.
The good ones are 95, XP and Windows 7.
My old iMac G3 was something I never understood. OS 9.
Love my 2007 iMac, the first in aluminum.
Leopard and the Alex voice totally rocked.
LMDE is still both 32 and 64 bit.
I M-A-Y be able to install the 32-bit from DVD on my iMac.
Mom's old Dell came with Vista 32-bit. The CPU might be 64-bit.
The CPU is Dual Core, not Core 2 Duo.
The BIOS might not be 64-bit friendly.
I have to agree that Chromebooks cost too much for what you get.
Linux people are Firefox people mostly.
My goal is to keep my Dell AIO running with Linux.
It cannot use Windows 11, legitimately.
Once Linux and I are BFFs, I want to ditch all my tablets for a low-end Dell laptop.
Remove Windows 11 faster than kiss a duck, Johnny Cash quote, and run LMDE there too.
I agree more than 100% with Technerd108!
Keep in mind I read his first post.
Apple bakes RAM into the M chip.
Getting more RAM has to be done at time of purchase and is way overpriced.
All of Apple's extras are overpriced.
I'd rather make donations to both Mozilla and Linux Mint for free, open-source software.
My iPad has Touch ID. That is the biggest plus to the tablet.
My tablets are low-end without biometric sensor and face ID is a joke.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.