Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Hello all,

I’m looking for a VPN to install to my new MBP. I feel like every other YouTube video has an influencer recommend another VPN service and I don’t know which to trust.

Obviously one that is fast and reliable are preferred. Free would be spectacular.

Reactions: nohack

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Checking it out. $80 for 2 years doesn’t seem bad at all. I’ll download the app right now but will hold off on buying a subscription in case they do offer an easter sale as you suggested.

Reactions: 0388631

theapplehead

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2018
North Carolina
Checking it out. $80 for 2 years doesn’t seem bad at all. I’ll download the app right now but will hold off on buying a subscription in case they do offer an easter sale as you suggested.
I use Proton VPN on all my devices. They offer a free and paid service. The free service has ZERO ads, however it operates on slower speeds. Proton VPN is based in Switzerland which is a nation with a significant amount of internet privacy (more than that of the US). It also supports p2p and Tor.

Good luck!

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Whoah, yes, $80 is too much for 2 years. Definitely wait for a sale or look for codes. NordVPN is good, too, but despite their name they are Panama based, IIRC.

I like PIA despite it being an American company. Admittedly, they have proven in court they don't log, and even if the articles were sponsored by them in some form, a court is a court, and if you don't have logs, then that's sticking to your priorities. If you do get PIA, I suggest reading up how to set up the VPN on your computer because sometimes one method is faster than the other; setting up the VPN in a browser over their app.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Hello all,

I’m looking for a VPN to install to my new MBP. I feel like every other YouTube video has an influencer recommend another VPN service and I don’t know which to trust.

Obviously one that is fast and reliable are preferred. Free would be spectacular.

There is really no such thing as a great free VPN... You pay for for better service.. even if its only a few dollars.

If people want free, then you get what you deserve. PIA IS based in the U.S after all. But i havana't use any that were free.

Reactions: icanhazmac

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2004
Thanks, looking at PIA, but which way is better to set up? Not done any of this yet.

is PIA only iOS? doesnt list laptops or desktops unless I missed it.

Last edited:

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
https://thatoneprivacysite.net/ has in-depth reviews of VPN services untainted by click through advertising.

EDIT 18/11/20: I can no longer confidently recommend this site as unbiased. They have recently sold their content to another company which has advertising disguised as ‘Top Ten lists’.

Last edited:

Nigel Goodman

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2017
UK
I use Proton VPN on all my devices. They offer a free and paid service. The free service has ZERO ads, however it operates on slower speeds. Proton VPN is based in Switzerland which is a nation with a significant amount of internet privacy (more than that of the US). It also supports p2p and Tor.

2nd vote for Proton VPN. For all the reasons stated. I use the basic paid version which is more than adequate.

Gravydog316

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2016
Canada
I need something just so I can watch stuff here in Canada.
Even previews of tv shows on YouTube are now getting blocked "Not Available in Your Country"

Like, really?! I can't even watch clips of Conan on YouTube anymore!!

(what i want to watch now is Dark Side of the Ring from VICE (since i used to rassle, but nope)

is there something besides VPN I can use??
sooo stupid

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
There seem to be dozens upon dozens of VPN paid services and it can be tough to choose one. I'm wondering both which paid VPN service you would recommend and which FREE VPN service is good enough to recommend as well?

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
Here is a guide from a product review site I've had good luck with (I haven't subscribed to a VPN, though) on several purchases:

I'd say even if you disagree with the ratings, the article has some good points to think about when choosing a VPN.

Last edited:

Erehy Dobon

Suspended
Feb 16, 2018
No service
I am currently using SurfShark as my primary VPN. I also have a TrustZone account but I think that's going to expire in a few months.

The free ones are worth the price you pay.

Reactions: estabya

K4sper

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2020
I have Windscribe installed. It gives me 15gb a month for free and I think that's really fair. I am happy to have it for the rare cases that I need it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.