Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cosmichobo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 4, 2006
G'day,

My son has a Dell Optiplex. *sigh*

The SSD in it appeared to be failing, as it was no longer booting, and the diagnostics could not see it. So I helped him get a new Samsung SSD.

My problem is... Installing Win10 the first time round was an absolute nightmare. The ISO image wont fit on an optical disk, and when I tried to create a bootable USB that wouldn't work either. I frankly have no idea how I ultimately managed to get it installed... I just remember hours and days of agony trying to get the bloody thing working. (Even tried using his Win-based Laptop, to run the installer and choose the SSD when connected via a USB dock, but the Win installer would not allow me to choose an external drive..!)

When I put the old SSD into the USB docking station now, the drive mounts on my Mac Mini. (Guessing it's on its last legs) So - I was wondering if I could clone the old SSD onto the new one, including any special partitions etc that Windows may need...? Either via Terminal, or Carbon Copy Cloner?

Thanks

cosmic

Joeronzk

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2020
Create a bootable USB, pull off the old SSD from the laptop and plug in the new ones. This could be much easier to go with. There would be potential issues (software/hardware) for direct disk cloning.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.