Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mectojic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 27, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I've ordered an M2 13-inch Air, looking forward to it arriving.
From all I've seen of Ventura, it looks worse than Monterey (System Settings app) and has no features I care about.

I guess mine will be shipped with Ventura. But the M2 13-inch originally launched with Monterey, so is it possible to downgrade to Monterey?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I've ordered an M2 13-inch Air, looking forward to it arriving.
From all I've seen of Ventura, it looks worse than Monterey (System Settings app) and has no features I care about.

I guess mine will be shipped with Ventura. But the M2 13-inch originally launched with Monterey, so is it possible to downgrade to Monterey?
You can, with the special build of 12.4 which first came with the M2 Air, or later versions of Monterey.

Reactions: mectojic

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I'm thinking that if you want to do this, you need to create a bootable USB flash drive with the Monterey installer on it.

Otherwise... if you try to use the new Apple Silicon "recovery"... it's probably going to offer you only Ventura again with no option for Monterey.

I could be wrong.

Something you may need to do NOW, before you start:
- disable system integrity protection
and
- go into "startup security" (you need to boot to recovery to do this) and DISABLE all startup security.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Something you may need to do NOW, before you start:
- disable system integrity protection
and
- go into "startup security" (you need to boot to recovery to do this) and DISABLE all startup security.
There’s no reason to do this in order to downgrade the OS.

Reactions: Ben J.

mectojic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 27, 2020
Sydney, Australia
You can, with the special build of 12.4 which first came with the M2 Air, or later versions of Monterey.
Thanks! I got a later version of Monterey and it worked off USB. Took a few attempts though, Apple clearly doesn't want you to downgrade.

I wonder whether the 15-inch could be easily downgraded to Monterey?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Thanks! I got a later version of Monterey and it worked off USB. Took a few attempts though, Apple clearly doesn't want you to downgrade.

The 15" requires a special version of 13.4 or later, so no Monterey there.
Downgrading is a trivial process for the 13" and other computers, using Apple Configurator and the appropriate IPSW installer file. Apple's not trying to block anyone from downgrading as all the earlier Apple Silicon Mac-compatible versions of macOS are still being signed by Apple.

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012

Sorry for replying old thread. Are you finally able to downgrade to Monterey? Kind to share the steps? I just got M2/15" and it came with Ventura. Thanks!

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
If the Mac arrived with Ventura installed, it is not possible to Monterey.
My 13" MBA M2 came with Monterey. As there is no hardware difference between 13" and 15" (except slightly on GPU), shouldn't 15" be compatible with Monterey as well?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
My 13" MBA M2 came with Monterey. As there is no hardware difference between 13" and 15" (except slightly on GPU), shouldn't be 15" is compatible with Monterey as well?
The 15” Air can only run 13.4 Ventura or later. There are hardware differences, but also Apple just doesn’t make Monterey available for the 15”.

mectojic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 27, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Sorry for replying old thread. Are you finally able to downgrade to Monterey? Kind to share the steps? I just got M2/15" and it came with Ventura. Thanks!
No Monterey for the 15". Only the 13". My 13" came with Ventura, but had no troubles downgrading to Monterey (12.6 or something)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.