Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
OK, so I'm going into "worst case scenario" mode here. Probably the primary thing holding me back on the current revision of the 15" PowerBook is that it has the slower AirPort built in, instead of the AirPort Extreme. Assuming that MWNY comes and goes without an announcement about some kind of update for the TiBook, is there any way to upgrade it to AirPort Extreme?

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
Thanks, vniow! It does sound like I'd be able to swing a PC card and a wireless router for a few hundred bucks extra.

Just curious: does the built-in AirPort card automatically disable itself or something when you plug in one of these third-party cards?

Schiffi

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2003
Missouri
And another question, will 802.11g stations always be backwards compatible with 802.11b? As much as I would like faster "G"'s the thought of something sticking out of the side of my pBook upsets me. I want to put off a Cardbus solution as soon as possible.

tpjunkie

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2002
NYC
I think that the current specification for 802.11.g includes backwards compatability with 802.11.b

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
Is it impossible for someone to make a card that would replace the 'b' card in there currently with a 'g' card? Like is the connection to slow to make it worth doing? And what about combining that with a bluetooth connection too? I'd love to be able to put those in my laptop, and still have the pcmcia card slot still available for photo transfers.

Gus

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
Minnesota
i would think that the main problem in modding the inaards of the PB to fit an AE card would be space. The AE card is shorter and wider than the original style airport card. That and the interfaces are different. I may be wrong, but I think that the AE card is more like a PCI card, and the original card is more like a a PCMCIA card. SOmeone may correct me if they wish.

Regards,
Gus

StrongGlad

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2003
When Airport Extreme came out, I remember reading that it wasn't possible for Apple to release an AE card that would fit in the older Airport slots because the bus speed of the Airport slot was insufficient to support AE speeds. That makes very little sense to me, however, since the Airport slot looks and acts pretty much like an ordinary PCMCIA slot, and if 3rd-party vendors can make an 802.11g card for the PCMCIA slot, then why not for the Airport Slot? Oh well.

I would love an 802.11g card for my Pismo, but I just can't stand the thought of having something sticking out the side :p

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
If you have a 15in PowerBook, then you will have to get a pc-card WIFI card (b or g standard). This is because Apples one that can be put in the airport slot does not havea very good range. The titainium is very good at blocking radio signals.

gotohamish

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2001
BKLN
Originally posted by mactastic
Is it impossible for someone to make a card that would replace the 'b' card in there currently with a 'g' card? Like is the connection to slow to make it worth doing? And what about combining that with a bluetooth connection too? I'd love to be able to put those in my laptop, and still have the pcmcia card slot still available for photo transfers.

That's an interesting thought. It appears to me that the Airport Card is a regular PCMCIA card, but without the head which in third-party cards has the aerial in. Hence the need to plug the aerial in to it when installed IN a Mac.

So couldn't you buy a regualr PCMCIA 'g' card, take the had off it and install it in the Airport slot?

To try and answer my own question - In theory yes, but I'm sure if it was that simple Apple would have done it. On the other hand, it does make it more of a perk to upgrading your Mac, which is ultimately what Apple want.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.