Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
Can anyone tell me if you can record internal audio natively with macOS Sonoma? Can you perhaps even record your screen + internal audio simultaneously, natively?

I think you need 3rd party software to do that in Ventura.

I've searched for terms like "quicktime", "audio" or "recording" in the list of new features, but couldn't really find anything. But who knows, maybe it's just not in there.

APCX

Suspended
Sep 19, 2023
Can anyone tell me if you can record internal audio natively with macOS Sonoma? Can you perhaps even record your screen + internal audio simultaneously, natively?

I think you need 3rd party software to do that in Ventura.

I've searched for terms like "quicktime", "audio" or "recording" in the list of new features, but couldn't really find anything. But who knows, maybe it's just not in there.
Apple has a native framework: ScreenCaptureKit which does this. At the moment, the built in screen recording tools don’t use it unfortunately. However, newer versions of OBS do and allow screen or app recording, including audio.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
Apple has a native framework: ScreenCaptureKit which does this. At the moment, the built in screen recording tools don’t use it unfortunately. However, newer versions of OBS do and allow screen or app recording, including audio.

How much skill do you need to make a program that could do this using this ScreenCaptureKit? I have absolutely no idea about programming (I did some web languages though, and micro-doses of PHP and JavaScript), but sometimes I come across situations like these and I wish I could just quickly put together an application just for my own.

If I started from zero, do you think it would take me long to write a minimalistic, simple and stable app just for myself to make screen recordings with the possibility to record internal audio?

APCX

Suspended
Sep 19, 2023
How much skill do you need to make a program that could do this using this ScreenCaptureKit? I have absolutely no idea about programming (I did some web languages though, and micro-doses of PHP and JavaScript), but sometimes I come across situations like these and I wish I could just quickly put together an application just for my own.

If I started from zero, do you think it would take me long to write a minimalistic, simple and stable app just for myself to make screen recordings with the possibility to record internal audio?
From Zero? It’d take a while I imagine. It would be a great way to learn though. Having a reason like this is a good way to learn programming.

i think there may be some apps on the App Store, couldn’t tell you what ones though.

Reactions: Silly John Fatty

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
From Zero? It’d take a while I imagine. It would be a great way to learn though. Having a reason like this is a good way to learn programming.

i think there may be some apps on the App Store, couldn’t tell you what ones though.

I try to completely avoid third party apps to be honest. Not a fan of installing anything on this computer.

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
Good, or bad there is no solution yet
Here, I used Azayaka to record how to record video with sound with the Screenshot app (Shift-Command-5) and BlackHole. (Sonoma 14.1.2 MBA M1 8GB RAM)

Reactions: MBAir2010

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
Here, I used Azayaka to record how to record video with sound with the Screenshot app (Shift-Command-5) and BlackHole. (Sonoma 14.1.2 MBA M1 8GB RAM)
thanks for th e info, I use videorecordersomething with Waterfox on the mac_mini to capture video sounds and all!
then convert with hand break when the vids are choppy.

there is a video of Jon Stewart lamenting George Lucas over starters that is hysterical I need a copy of.
I was going to use the iPad recorder feature but Comedy Central wont play a video with an ad blocker.

the internets giveth, but taketh....

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
Audio Hijack has now been updated to become quite good. Frankly, I'm surprised since it was a royal PIA for so long. Now it just works without having to use Audio MIDI Setup.app and fooling around with System Audio settings every time I went to use it.

Rogue Amoeba

Yea, it costs some money but the convenience and ease of use are more than worth it, IMO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.