Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JimmyG

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 19, 2019
Hudson Valley NY
Hi Folks,

Trying to move into my new 16" M1 Max MBP running 12.2.1 and I cannot disable iCloud Drive (I have it disabled on all of my devices). The process hangs at the "iCloud Drive needs to finish updating before being turned off." popup and never completes. To add to the fun, the two buttons in that popup dialog box (Cancel and Stop Updating and Turn Off) are greyed out and cannot be clicked. The only way out of the situation is to Force Quit the System Preferences.

There is zero personal data on this MBP as it is brandie new (and zero personal data in iCloud from any of my other devices as I never use it).

An internet search for this problem reveals this behavior going back several OS versions for a few other fellow unfortunate users but I have yet to locate a resolve from any of those posts. So far I've tried logging in and out of my Apple ID, reboots, starting in Safe Mode, and running Disk Utility all to no success...I'm thinking I'm either missing something obvious or that Monterey is behaving differently than what I'm accustomed to with Mojave?

That anyone here has either solved this or has any suggestions it would be great hearing from you!

Many thanks in advance! :)
Jimmy G

SS - iCloud Drive Fail jpeg.jpg

Last edited:

JimmyG

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 19, 2019
Hudson Valley NY
Update March 4: Tried reinstalling OS, problem persists.

Filed Bug Report to Apple via Feedback Assistant (System>Library>Core Services>Applications>Feedback Assistant), I'll report back should they respond.

MacUser0018

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2022
Update March 4: Tried reinstalling OS, problem persists.

Filed Bug Report to Apple via Feedback Assistant (System>Library>Core Services>Applications>Feedback Assistant), I'll report back should they respond.
I have exactly the same problem... 16" M1 Pro MBP 2021 running 12.2.1, so would be very interested if Apple or anyone else helps you to resolve this.

huey_syd

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2020
I've got the same issue on an M1 mini.
There is a few folders like "iCloud Drive (Archive) - 2" in my homedir from previous attempts but it doesn't finish.
The root problem here is files that I upload from my iphone to icloud appear in the icloud.com webinterface and (some) also on my M1 but newer icloud uploads from today don't show up on the M1. They are visible on icloud.com but I can't download them from there either, getting some error message.
NB: tried downloading the files again from icloud a few hours and that worked, but they still don't show in Finder...

JimmyG

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 19, 2019
Hudson Valley NY
I've got the same issue on an M1 mini.
There is a few folders like "iCloud Drive (Archive) - 2" in my homedir from previous attempts but it doesn't finish.
The root problem here is files that I upload from my iphone to icloud appear in the icloud.com webinterface and (some) also on my M1 but newer icloud uploads from today don't show up on the M1. They are visible on icloud.com but I can't download them from there either, getting some error message.
NB: tried downloading the files again from icloud a few hours and that worked, but they still don't show in Finder...
Hi huey_syd,

My recommendation when posting "similar issues" is to start a new thread topic, otherwise your issue will likely not get seen by others nor get the proper attention as it is now buried in this thread.

Best, :)
Jimmy G

JimmyG

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 19, 2019
Hudson Valley NY
Final Update April 14:

Resolved?:
The issue seems to have self-corrected/cleared with my updating that MBP to 12.3.1, iCloud no longer hanging on its, er, "updating" itself and iCloud now successfully turned off on all of my devices.

Note: Apple never responded to my Bug Report filed using their included Feedback Assistant.

YMMV, :)
Jimmy G

Reactions: MacUser0018
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.