Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacTiki

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
Copied a ~200GB photo library from High Sierra to my new Mac running Monterey.

When I click on the library the Photo app opens but no photo are displayed.

Attempted the option key, or was it command key, method and the results were the same.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
It needs to convert the databases. Have you tried opening from within Photos rather than opening it with the Finder?

You could start Photos with the Option key down and select the Library.

Apple says this should work.

You could also try to "Import" it, but might lose meta data.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
Alternately, if you have iCloud you could sync with High Sierra and then just download under Monterey.
On my network, that would take a while.

MacTiki

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
You could start Photos with the Option key down and select the Library.
I have tried both methods, see my original post.

Have no desire sending my photos to the cloud.

Gone are the days of Apple stuff just working.

Exporting the photos would work for me if it doesn’t remove the META. Losing location and date info would render my photos useless.

Which leaves me scratching my head on what to do?

Last edited:

MacTiki

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
So have you tried holding down both cmd and option at same time. (you said earlier you did one or the other)
Just to be sure I will try again when I am back in front of the machine.

Last edited:

RhetTbull

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2022
Los Angeles, CA
You could try PowerPhotos which can convert older iPhoto and Photo libraries. Alternatively, my own free open source tool, osxphotos, may be able to export the photos from the old library. (It's been tested on iPhoto libraries and Photos libraries since macOS Sierra). You could then import the photos into a new Photos library (hold down Option while opening Photos to create a new library).

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
Alternatively, my own free open source tool, osxphotos, may be able to export the photos from the old library. (It's been tested on iPhoto libraries and Photos libraries since macOS Sierra). You could then import the photos into a new Photos library (hold down Option while opening Photos to create a new library).
Presumably the folders/albums organistation would be lost through an export/import cycle?

RhetTbull

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2022
Los Angeles, CA
Presumably the folders/albums organistation would be lost through an export/import cycle?
Not necessarily. osxphotos can preserve the folder structure (and the metadata such as keywords, etc.) on export and, if you use the osxphotos import tool, it can preserve these on import. For example, assuming you are exporting to your "~/Pictures/export" folder:

Bash:
osxphotos export ~/Pictures/export --library /path/to/Photos/library --directory "{folder_album,No Album}" --sidecar json --person-keyword --keyword-template "{favorite?Favorite,} --report photos_export.csv --verbose

This exports all photos to "~/Pictures/export" while preserving folder/album structure (photos not in an album will end up in "No Album" folder), creates JSON sidecar files with the metadata, creates a keyword with each person tagged in the image (faces/persons are one thing that cannot preserved on import due to limitation in Photos), and adds a "Favorite" keyword if photo is a favorite (osxphotos cannot yet preserve favorite status on import so this allows you find your favorites after import and mark them as favorite). It will create a report in CSV format of everything that was done named "photo_export.csv". You can run it with the "--dry-run" option first if you like to see exactly what will happen.

Then, after exporting, create a new Photos library (or open an existing one if you want to import into an existing library) and open that in Photos and run this to re-import:

Bash:
osxphotos import ~/Pictures/export/* --walk --album "{filepath.parent}" --split-folder "/" --relative-to ~/Pictures/export --skip-dups --dup-albums --sidecar --verbose

This imports all the photos from "~/Pictures/export". It will use the directory (relative to ~/Pictures/export) as the folder/album. It will read metadata from the associated sidecar and use that to set keywords, etc. in Photos, it will skip previously imported duplicates (photos can belong to more than one album and would be re-imported as new photos if not using this option) but it will file photos in the appropriate albums so a photo in two albums on export will end up in the same two albums on import. Of course, you can also run this with addition of "--dry-run" to see what will happen before actually importing.

What you will lose: edits will be imported as separate photos, favorite status won't be set (but favorites will have a "Favorite" keyword), and people/faces tagged in images will lost (but the person's name will be used as a keyword to facilitate searching).

This isn't perfect and I offer it only as a last resort if you can't get Photos to open the library as seems to be the case. It is possible the database is so corrupted that osxphotos cannot read it but a "--dry-run" export will let you know that immediately. You can also run "osxphotos info --library /path/to/library" first to see if osxphotos can read the library.

osxphotos has extensive documentation and you can run "osxphotos help export" and "osxphotos help import" to get help on these specific commands.

Reactions: Mike Boreham
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.