Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sotosoul

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2012
Athens & Copenhagen
I live in Denmark but I still have my old SIM card from Greece that I solely use for interactions with the Greek public authorities: MFA for e-government services, as a registered phone number, etc. I have a zero-data plan with a Greek carrier, which means that I pay only for data, calls, and SMS that I consume at a hefty price. To give you an idea, minimum charge for any mobile data traffic is ~1.50€, which is fine since I never have a need for it.

There used to be an option to turn off mobile data on older iOS. However, the only option I can now see is to turn it off when roaming, which doesn't seem to be working. Every time I need to turn on the service while being out of Greece, iPhone sends a few bytes of data that incurs a 1.50€ charge even if I set "mobile data when roaming" to off. I am forced to use an old iPhone 4S I have laying around instead of the dual SIM option (eSIM + physical) of my iPhone 14 Pro.

Am I missing something here...?

EDIT: I should have been clearer on this. I'm not looking into completely disabling cellular on the phone, just the cellular on one of the plans. It just dawned on me that I could simply erase the cellular data network settings. Any thoughts on that?

Last edited:

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
Use cellular data on your iPhone or iPad

1711440991946.png

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
I'm not running dual SIMs, so have not had to do any switching, so guess here:

Not seeing the option since you also have a Danish SIM and that's set to "Primary"?

ios-16-iphone-13-pro-sim-settings-cellular.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.