Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swarmofbees

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2021
Hey guys, hope everyone is doing well and healthy.

I've been using iPhone's for as long as I can remember, currently rocking the iPhone 12 for the last 6 months.

I can't get the iPhone to show me a BIG picture from contacts when I receive a call. It shows only a microscopic picture with the name of the contact next to it, and a slider to answer the call. The rest of the screen shows the wallpaper in a faded mode.

I have the banner activated so when I'm using the iPhone and someone calls me I have the banner pop up instead of the full screen call, but when the phone is locked it was supposed to show the big picture... right?

At least my girlfriend gets this functionality in her iPhone 11.

I've tried changing the contact picture, I have chosen my contacts to be mainly synched with iCloud instead of Gmail, nothing seems to fix it.

Any thoughts on this? Am I missing something? It's extremely annoying.

Reactions: lia1tan

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Go to contacts and choose the contact you want to show as full screen and hit edit. Tap on edit photo and just increase the size the photo manually and hit done. Even though it doesn't look it will go much bigger than the circle it actually will when the contact calls you. Just needs to be made bigger than the original thumbnail for it to work

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
This is probably one of the longest standing bugs with iCloud contacts. I usually have to "re-set" a contact photo every few months cause it seems to accidentally low-res the pictures every now and then. Directly adding a photo to a contact in the contacts app seems to accelerate the bricking of pictures (could just be a placebo on my end though).

Best way to go about this is find the picture of your contact in your Photos app, press the Share button and then "Assign to Contact" where you drag their face into view (so it's aligned with the circular frame) and save. That'll have their face show up properly in apps like Messages or when a call comes in as a banner, but has a fullscreen caller picture (zoomed in / aligned so their face is visible) when locked (or calls set to be fullscreen).

swarmofbees

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2021
Hey guys,

I tried absolutely everything that you guys mentioned and it still doesn’t work. So incredibly annoying. Any other workaround ?

bricktop_at

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2017
I have the same issue with some, but not all contacts. For some time this was a problem with contacts synced from Google (they changed the picture to a smaller version and synced it back). Nor sure if this is still a problem, but some contact pics still don‘t show up in full screen.

Reactions: swarmofbees

swarmofbees

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2021
I have the same issue with some, but not all contacts. For some time this was a problem with contacts synced from Google (they changed the picture to a smaller version and synced it back). Nor sure if this is still a problem, but some contact pics still don‘t show up in full screen.

I’ve changed my contact sync from Gmail to ICloud, didn’t work. I changed the contact photo multiple times, doesn’t work. I can’t get this to work anyway I try. So annoying

bricktop_at

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2017
I’ve changed my contact sync from Gmail to ICloud, didn’t work. I changed the contact photo multiple times, doesn’t work. I can’t get this to work anyway I try. So annoying
Yep, same here.... some contacts don't show in full screen for me too. I've given up ;-)

Reactions: swarmofbees
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.