Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macstatic

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
I have a "chicken and egg" type situation here as I'm trying to free up space on my kid's school iPad by offloading files no longer needed over to my Mac. I've transferred (using Airdrop) just about everything I can over to the Mac, and now I'm trying to transfer a pretty large iMovie project file (and/or just the finished video file) which I thought was going to be simple..... not! :(
I've tried various methods, involving both my Mac and an additional iPad (with lots of free space) and Airdrop:

1) transfer the iMovie project file from the iPad: I try to "share" the file, but a couple of seconds after the transfer should start I get an error message saying there's not enough free space on the iPad (which I'm sending from)! I have no idea why it needs additional room to do this, but for some reason it does.

2) transfer and delete the source video files (in the Photos app): so now I try to free up space by first transferring all the video files used in the iMovie project file over to the other iPad or my Mac, then delete them all (and empty the trash in Photos). This should free up quite a bit of space!
So next I go to the iMovie app and "share" the iMovie project file, but get an error message that its media files are missing, and it refuses to send just the project file. :mad:

I know that I can "fix" an iMovie project by putting back the source media files and answering "yes" when iMovie asks if it should search for its missing files (which was why I wanted to transfer everything over to my other iPad in order to fix the project file there before finally making a backup on the Mac as well as making an export of the finished video file too).

So... a classic chicken and egg situation. What am I to do?
I've transferred and deleted all other files I've come across, but it's only got 32 GB and it seems I can't do much more. I'm unable to delete apps (to free space, then re-install them after the transfer) as the iPad is restricted for users to do that on their own, and I've also turned it off/on hoping to clear any cache files etc. Suggestions?

macstatic

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
Good suggestion (especially since I had a license for the current version but hadn't installed or used it for a while), but unfortunately I was told that pairing couldn't be done since the iPad in question was restricted. It works great with the other iPad though.

macstatic

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
I solved this challenge!
I basically re-edited the iMovie project without the largest video clips (putting placeholders (various coloured "Backgrounds" from the "Media" section), deleted those same clips within the Photos app (and emptied the trash can). Then I actually had enough free space on the iPad to be allowed to transfer (share) the iMovie project over to another iPad (using AirDrop) where I earlier had also transferred all of the video clips over.
Finally, on the other iPad I edited the same iMovie project, replacing the placeholders with the missing video clips :)

Reactions: cupcakes2000

dizmonk

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2010
I'm in a slightly similar dilemma.. I'm working on a project and need to move it from the Macbook Air to my Mac Studio but I don't know how. Any suggestions. I can't do the OP's approach as it's a really big file.

dizmonk

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2010
One option: connect both Macs by ethernet cable, start sharing on one, connect from the other and start copying.
I can connect them via WiFi since they are on the same network. The problem is I can't find/figure out how to copy the library/project I'm working on from the MBA to the Studio. I know how to export it but I need to keep working on it since it's not final. Does that make sense?

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
I can connect them via WiFi since they are on the same network. The problem is I can't find/figure out how to copy the library/project I'm working on from the MBA to the Studio. I know how to export it but I need to keep working on it since it's not final. Does that make sense?
Activate Sharing and share the project folder. Then connect from the second Mac and edit, copy or move. The procedure to share and get access is the same as for a cable connection - see Apple’s documentation in my previous comment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.