Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Soundboo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2024
Hello everyone,
I have registered here because I need some advice.
I bought an OCLP patched Macpro 5.1 with 2x6core with 2.66 GHz 48GB Ram. This one was not equipped with a metal capable GPU. I have changed this, it now has a Saphire Pulse RX 580, with Sonoma and Monterey installed. I had Sonoma on Nvme and replaced it with BigSur. With the Saphire Pulse RX 580 my 3 monitors did not work under Monterey. I solved this with root patching. Since I want to work with Protools and there are plugin problems under newer Monterey systems, it would make the most sense for me to switch to Catalina at the moment, since my hardware is unfortunately a bit outdated. It would also be good to be able to switch to Mojave in between. Do I have to leave OCLP and switch to Martin Lo OC? How should I proceed with the firmware version etc.? How can I return the MacPro to an unpatched state? Do you know a good Youtube movie about this?
Something else that might be interesting: I also have a MacPro 5.1 (mid2010) 6core 3.33 48GB Ram with Mojave and a Saphire Pulse RX 580, which runs great. Thank you very much for your help at the moment.
Bob

MrScratchHook

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2022
United States
Hello everyone,
I have registered here because I need some advice.
I bought an OCLP patched Macpro 5.1 with 2x6core with 2.66 GHz 48GB Ram. This one was not equipped with a metal capable GPU. I have changed this, it now has a Saphire Pulse RX 580, with Sonoma and Monterey installed. I had Sonoma on Nvme and replaced it with BigSur. With the Saphire Pulse RX 580 my 3 monitors did not work under Monterey. I solved this with root patching. Since I want to work with Protools and there are plugin problems under newer Monterey systems, it would make the most sense for me to switch to Catalina at the moment, since my hardware is unfortunately a bit outdated. It would also be good to be able to switch to Mojave in between. Do I have to leave OCLP and switch to Martin Lo OC? How should I proceed with the firmware version etc.? How can I return the MacPro to an unpatched state? Do you know a good Youtube movie about this?
Something else that might be interesting: I also have a MacPro 5.1 (mid2010) 6core 3.33 48GB Ram with Mojave and a Saphire Pulse RX 580, which runs great. Thank you very much for your help at the moment.
Bob
clone your working mojave to a fresh ssd and stick that in the other mac pro. Now add martin lo opencore to the mojave efi. add another fresh ssd and install catalina. pretty simple if your rolling back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.