Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scheinderrob

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 6, 2021
i have the latest version of ios, 17.0.3, which i thought was supposed to fix the issue but it still randomly will charge past 80. most times it stops when it should, but not always. same charger every time.

edit: expected behavior, phone is calibrating

Last edited:

macphoto861

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2021
i have the latest version of ios, 17.0.3, which i thought was supposed to fix the issue but it still randomly will charge past 80. most times it stops when it should, but not always. same charger every time.
I believe I recall reading somewhere (an Apple support doc?) that even when set to 80% limit, it would still occasionally charge higher for battery calibration purposes.

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
I believe I recall reading somewhere (an Apple support doc?) that even when set to 80% limit, it would still occasionally charge higher for battery calibration purposes.
Try to find a link to that document - please…

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
“With 80% Limit enabled, your iPhone will occasionally charge to 100 percent to maintain accurate battery state-of-charge estimates.”

So before they would say charge to 100% like once a month for calibration. That should mean only one full charge every 30 days. Anyone here have it do that twice since having it?

Reactions: scheinderrob

iFone88

macrumors 68020
Oct 5, 2018
battery health!
Just use the device, enjoy it and worry about battery 'health' when it comes to it.

It's not going to be an issue for at least two years ie, where you can't get through the day without charging.

Cannot understand the logic behind getting a new device and then stressing about a bit of battery degradation.

Rastapopoulos

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2011
I have it on and have been using it for two weeks now with different chargers in different locations (CarPlay also) and I saw it charge once to 100% during the night, every other time it charged to exactly 80%. Curious to see the battery degradation in a few years.

Reactions: one more and thmsnt

andyw715

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2013
Curious to see the battery degradation in a few years.
Good question for those who condition their batteries (via high/low charge limits or charging type fast/slow/wireless) what yearly % decline do you see?

Me? I don't. I charge exclusively with a MagSafe charger and my phone is at 100% for much of the day (on dock at desk during work, and on MagSafe powered dock in car while driving). iPPM 14 launch day, 95%

ETA: I guess I should add since the Plus/Max phones have a bigger batt, a certain % decline is relative to the device model in terms of real world usage/batt life.

Last edited:

Timpetus

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2014
Orange County, CA
My 13 Mini definitely suffered pretty quickly after I got it, though it's been holding steady at 88% battery life for a few months at least. I started worrying about it and minimized charging beyond 80%, and that seems to have been when it stopped getting worse. It definitely makes a difference! Even more important for devices I plan to keep for many years, like my MBP. Fortunately, AlDente is a thing on the Mac.

I'm going to be careful not to overcharge my new 15 Pro, and I'll see if I can keep battery health above 95% within the first 2 years. If I can, I'll keep this phone for 3+ years, as I really don't need to upgrade every 2.

generdude

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2013
I set a Shortcut to let me know when the battery gets to 80% on my 13 mini and battery health is still at 100%. However, I still use my 6s for music in the car and I've always charged it to 100%; battery health is 87%.

scheinderrob

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 6, 2021
Just use the device, enjoy it and worry about battery 'health' when it comes to it.

It's not going to be an issue for at least two years ie, where you can't get through the day without charging.

Cannot understand the logic behind getting a new device and then stressing about a bit of battery degradation.

some people like to keep their phones longer than 2 years. it's really not that complicated.

Reactions: Barbareren

Justin Cymbal

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2008
Boston, Massachusetts
I also have the 80% limit setting on my iPhone 15 Pro Max (which was delivered in October) and I noticed that for the first time, it charged to 100% yesterday - on the same day that I hit the 10th charge cycle so I suppose Apple could have set 10 as the charge cycle count threshold for which the iPhone 15s charge to 100% “to maintain accurate battery state-of-charge estimates” as Apple says will happen occasionally in their support document:

Attachments

• IMG_0239.jpeg
    IMG_0239.jpeg
    116.4 KB · Views: 42

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022

It amazes me how many take exception to those who want to optimize their battery life. Everyone has different priorities . . . . .

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
It amazes me how many take exception to those who want to optimize their battery life. Everyone has different priorities . . . . .
I do think it is interesting to watch all the machinations, procedures, rules and strictures you guys will submit yourselves to in order to wring out an nth of battery life. Getting wrapped around the axle on this is very involved.

It's often like watching that guy at the stop light who accelerates very slowly because they want to conserve fuel economy. As long as I'm not behind them (i.e., Apple makes all this stuff optional) it's a spectacle.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
No stress. It's just that there is no reason to charge over 80% since I never really get below 30% even when starting at 80%. For me it is a set and forget kind of thing. I charge every night and even if I forget to put it on the charger, it charges to 80% very quickly.

Reactions: Jackbequickly

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
No stress. It's just that there is no reason to charge over 80% since I never really get below 30% even when starting at 80%. For me it is a set and forget kind of thing. I charge every night and even if I forget to put it on the charger, it charges to 80% very quickly.
I put my phone on charger each night as well. Since 2009 every smartphone I've owned has been plugged in at night, screen on and serving as a bedside clock/alarm.

But mine is charged to 100% each night. I do have the smart charging thing on, but that's it. During the day, I rarely go under 78. If I do, it means I'm using the thing more than I normally do - which is unusual because I sit in front of computers all day and use those instead of my phone for things better suited to computers.

Took me over five years to drop the battery percent on my iPhone 6s Plus to a sufficient percentage so that Apple would replace the battery. And that's using the phone as I describe above. It was bought brand new in September 2015.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
I put my phone on charger each night as well. Since 2009 every smartphone I've owned has been plugged in at night, screen on and serving as a bedside clock/alarm.

But mine is charged to 100% each night. I do have the smart charging thing on, but that's it. During the day, I rarely go under 78. If I do, it means I'm using the thing more than I normally do - which is unusual because I sit in front of computers all day and use those instead of my phone for things better suited to computers.

Took me over five years to drop the battery percent on my iPhone 6s Plus to a sufficient percentage so that Apple would replace the battery. And that's using the phone as I describe above. It was bought brand new in September 2015.
Batteries are quite variable even within the same generation and model. Just because you had good luck in the past doesn’t mean that it will continue. Why put extra stress on your battery when it appears that it provides no benefit to you?

I don’t care what you do though. Use your iPhone any way you want. But I’m taking advantage of a new feature of my iPhone that could benefit me in the future with no current downside.

Reactions: Barbareren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Batteries are quite variable even within the same generation and model. Just because you had good luck in the past doesn’t mean that it will continue. Why put extra stress on your battery when it appears that it provides no benefit to you?

I don’t care what you do though. Use your iPhone any way you want. But I’m taking advantage of a new feature of my iPhone that could benefit me in the future with no current downside.
You're right. It doesn't mean I won't get a phone with a less than stellar battery. But as to why putting the stress on it…it really comes down to "I don't care."

As I have explained many times on these forums, I sit in front of computers from the time I get up to the time I go to bed. That's 16+ hours or more. I chose a profession that involves computers. There are multiple computers at home and there are multiple computers at work.

I work from home now, so the multiple computers at home means I am surrounded by computers.

I get outside the house for roughly four hours a day. All of that is driving, when I should NOT be using my device/phone.

So, how I use my phone is limited. Outside of a bedside clock, it's phone calls, text messages, emails and light web browsing. I've got two 30" Cinema Displays and a 55" HDTV in front of me all day - I don't need/use my phone for computing/media tasks.

This means the battery isn't taking a hit - because the phone is mostly just sitting there for the entire day.

I don't resell my phones. At the moment, I have ten phones sitting on my desk, every phone I've had since 2007. So saving the battery for resale value is a non-issue.

If a battery goes bad, I replace it. In between, I plug it in. But because of how I use my phones, I haven't needed to put a primary phone on charger during the day for quite a while.

Everyone is different.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015

I like to charge to 100%, but I also think battery health is irrelevant if the device isn’t updated. Grab an iPhone or iPad on its original iOS version, use it for years to whatever battery health you like, and battery life will be like-new anyway. Since this is the case and I don’t update anything... why would I bother to use half of the available battery life?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.