Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jedimasterkyle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 27, 2014
Idaho
So I've been thinking, overthinking, analyzing and banging my head against the wall about a particular problem I have when it comes to keeping one of my HomeKit cameras charged up.

I'll explain.

I have a Eufy 2C Cam pointed at my front door. It has been nearly flawless for the past two years and it's detected nearly everything that has walked in front of it. It is above my front door and is no less than 7 feet from the ground so in order to take it, you'd need a ladder. It does a great job with seeing daytime and nighttime movement and has caught a few of the neighbor kids doing things they shouldn't be doing. However, Because of where my camera is located on the building, I get A LOT of foot traffic. Whether it's my wife and I, neighbors in the building, my dog, Amazon/Pizza deliveries, squirrels, cats, kids. You name it, my camera gets it. As such, the battery life (which Eufy hilariously states is good for 6 months) is horrendous and I get maybe 15 days out of it before having to charge it again.

My problem is this: How do I keep my Eufy cam charged so that I dont have to climb up there, take it down, charge it for half of the day and put it back up?
  • My front door faces north. In the summer, I barely get any sunlight on that side and in winter, that side of the house never sees the light of day so solar charging is not an option.
  • My wife already said "No" to running a very, very long USB cable to inside the house, above the front door, and keeping it charged from there.
  • I have looked into the USB lightbulb kits but I dont think that would work with the bulb housing that I already have.
  • Also, I'm in an apartment so I can't make any external modifications to the building.
I am legitimately stumped as to how I can achieve this so I'm asking for any and all options that I might not of thought of yet. Ideally, I would have a non-battery camera pointed at my front door and just have the power cord plugged into a USB port on the building somewhere but alas, that is ALSO not an option.

Have to love 1st world problems.

erihp

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2020
So I've been thinking, overthinking, analyzing and banging my head against the wall about a particular problem I have when it comes to keeping one of my HomeKit cameras charged up.

I'll explain.

I have a Eufy 2C Cam pointed at my front door. It has been nearly flawless for the past two years and it's detected nearly everything that has walked in front of it. It is above my front door and is no less than 7 feet from the ground so in order to take it, you'd need a ladder. It does a great job with seeing daytime and nighttime movement and has caught a few of the neighbor kids doing things they shouldn't be doing. However, Because of where my camera is located on the building, I get A LOT of foot traffic. Whether it's my wife and I, neighbors in the building, my dog, Amazon/Pizza deliveries, squirrels, cats, kids. You name it, my camera gets it. As such, the battery life (which Eufy hilariously states is good for 6 months) is horrendous and I get maybe 15 days out of it before having to charge it again.

My problem is this: How do I keep my Eufy cam charged so that I dont have to climb up there, take it down, charge it for half of the day and put it back up?
  • My front door faces north. In the summer, I barely get any sunlight on that side and in winter, that side of the house never sees the light of day so solar charging is not an option.
  • My wife already said "No" to running a very, very long USB cable to inside the house, above the front door, and keeping it charged from there.
  • I have looked into the USB lightbulb kits but I dont think that would work with the bulb housing that I already have.
  • Also, I'm in an apartment so I can't make any external modifications to the building.
I am legitimately stumped as to how I can achieve this so I'm asking for any and all options that I might not of thought of yet. Ideally, I would have a non-battery camera pointed at my front door and just have the power cord plugged into a USB port on the building somewhere but alas, that is ALSO not an option.

Have to love 1st world problems.
How happy is your marriage?

• Haha
Reactions: Itinj24

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
How about running a long outdoor USB cable to a side of the building where you can use a solar panel?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.