Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CherryJello

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2009
Yeah, I'm going to toot my own horn and say I've got the whole thing figured out. Come back tomorrow afternoon and see how right I was.

Hardware

10 inch-screen, lower quality for cheaper model.
Wifi only, for 3G data you tether your iPhone to it.
32 gigs memory for cheaper model, 64 gigs for expensive model
Front facing camera

Software

iPhone based, but complete UI overhaul. Allows multi-tasking and ability to run iPhone applications.

Price

$399 for cheaper version, $599 for expensive. Right between an iPhone and Macbook. Maybe subsidized by the publishing companies.

One more thing..

iPhone 4 available on Verizon this Summer.

There you are, all pretty safe bets. I think the only thing that will blow people away is the price. Aggressive, Apple's hoping for major adoption and knows the price will be key in achieving this.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
Inaccurate title - can only claim accuracy once product is announced.
Do you feel a need to toot your own horn often?

MT0227

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
Yeah, I'm going to toot my own horn and say I've got the whole thing figured out. Come back tomorrow afternoon and see how right I was.

Hardware

10 inch-screen, lower quality for cheaper model.
Wifi only, for 3G data you tether your iPhone to it.
32 gigs memory for cheaper model, 64 gigs for expensive model
Front facing camera

Software

iPhone based, but complete UI overhaul. Allows multi-tasking and ability to run iPhone applications.

Price

$399 for cheaper version, $599 for expensive. Right between an iPhone and Macbook. Maybe subsidized by the publishing companies.

One more thing..

iPhone 4 available on Verizon this Summer.

There you are, all pretty safe bets. I think the only thing that will blow people away is the price. Aggressive, Apple's hoping for major adoption and knows the price will be key in achieving this.

I think your pricing is too low; Wifi only means NO carrier subsidy. I’m thinking more like $699 - $899 range. I don’t think Apple would offer you a tablet with a tethering option only for internet access; frankly I’d expect the opposite, wireless broadband.

Plastic Logic’s Que will be offered at $650 for 4 GB and $800 for 8GB 3G – enabled

lee.anderson

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2006
UK
I don't think the One More Thing will be about the iPhone; it will be about the iCar! You heard it here first.

aaquib

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2007
Toronto, Canada
They aren't announcing the new iPhone 6 months before introduction and losing potential sales in between.

iPhone 4 will be announced WWDC with a launch subsequently after. iPhone 4.0 software, now, may just be announced during this event.

natasha69

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2007
I think your pricing is too low; Wifi only means NO carrier subsidy. I’m thinking more like $699 - $899 range. I don’t think Apple would offer you a tablet with a tethering option only for internet access; frankly I’d expect the opposite, wireless broadband.

Plastic Logic’s Que will be offered at $650 for 4 GB and $800 for 8GB 3G – enabled

Remember, carrier subsidy is one thing. If Steve is out to save the magazine/print industry, there will be a magazine/print subscription subsidy as well.

Esp if this is aimed at the educational market. I'm betting there will be an ebook subsidy to get high college student adoption. Textbooks on this thing would rock. Poor campus bookstores.... Imagine, get a free tablet if you get all your textbooks via ebook. I'd be all over that.

CherryJello

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2009
My prediction is that throughout the keynote people will be saying, okay it plays music, okay it looks cool, I like being able to play my iPhone games on a big screen...People in these very forums are going to be shouting, "I'm not paying $1000 for that!" and then bam...$399 price tag. With that, everyone will want one.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
My prediction is that throughout the keynote people will be saying, okay it plays music, okay it looks cool, I like being able to play my iPhone games on a big screen...People in these very forums are going to be shouting, "I'm not paying $1000 for that!" and then bam...$399 price tag. With that, everyone will want one.

$399 ??
Are you smoking that cherry jello?

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

amirite

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2009
*Bookmarking this thread so I can come and laugh tomorrow when your prediction about two different models with 32 and 64 GB is proved horribly wrong*

My predictions:

- One model. Only difference will be possible subsidized version.
- Somewhere around $499 (as the lowest price point)
- 3G capability, I don't think anybody is doubting that.
- U.S. only until second half of the year.

amirite

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2009
Oh, so coming into this thread to make that comment is okay, but my coming into your thread to disagree with you is not. Got ya. Should I add all caps? :)

You said "no one cares" and added nothing to the thread. I'm not saying that no one cares, I'm just voicing my disagreement by saying that there will not be 32GB and a 64GB versions.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
You said "no one cares" and added nothing to the thread. I'm not saying that no one cares, I'm just voicing my disagreement by saying that there will not be 32GB and a 64GB versions.

No, I said no one cares, because I disagreed with you. You just didn't like the response (as was voiced by many, but not as succinctly). Pot meet kettle.

MT0227

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
Remember, carrier subsidy is one thing. If Steve is out to save the magazine/print industry, there will be a magazine/print subscription subsidy as well.

Esp if this is aimed at the educational market. I'm betting there will be an ebook subsidy to get high college student adoption. Textbooks on this thing would rock. Poor campus bookstores.... Imagine, get a free tablet if you get all your textbooks via ebook. I'd be all over that.

I think the publishers are more likely to subsidize within the cost of content they provide as opposed to the cost of the Tablet itself; this way they control the expense/subsidy to those who use their service and not to anyone who just purchases a Tablet.

You are hitting on the market for expansion; there are schools in NJ that provide a tablet to students; all books and assignments…etc are on it.

MT0227

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
My estimates:

$699 for base, up to $999 for added storage space/options
64GB of storage, more as an optional add on
8.5" x 11" form factor
10.7" diagonal display (matt finish)
WiFi, 3G and wireless broadband capability
Pressure sensitive touch screen

agkm800

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2009
10" LCD screen

Front facing camera

128GB Flash memory

WIFI and 3G capable

$699 with contract ||| $999 without contract

Check back tomorrow.

Outrigger

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2008
I love reading these "MY Predictions are accurate" threads after the fact. How can you claim a prediction is accurate before the fact? Maybe this will prevent you from tooting your own horn and instead get the eggs off your face :rolleyes:

amirite

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2009
- One model. Only difference will be possible subsidized version.
- Somewhere around $499 (as the lowest price point)
- 3G capability, I don't think anybody is doubting that.
- U.S. only until second half of the year.

Hehe at least I was right about the price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.