Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

f_herl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2020
I have an iPhone 5s (12.4.9) with system storage continuously growing after resetting my iPhone and trying all the other common hints on the web. For example, after my last reset (i.e., wiping everything and installing a backup) two days ago the system storage was down to 5GB, currently at 8GB (in between sometimes showing 12 GB, for whatever reason). In a couple of days my 16GB will be full again.

Apple states under https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211686: "If you have iOS or iPadOS 13, your iPhone or iPad storage is full, and the storage is mostly taken up by "Other" storage, update your device to iOS or iPadOS 13.6.1 or later."

Since my iPhone can only run iOS 12, does this mean I will not be able to solve the problem without the update, or is there a different cause in iOS 12 and Apple above describes a iOS 13 specific problem only?

Thanks!

sfphoto

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2010
If you simply love the iP5s I would get another with an older iOS, i.e. 8,9,10.
If you simply love the size/operation I would get an SE gen1 as it is more capable of running 64bit that came with iOS11.

Article on storage:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.