Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tommozer1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2022
I currently have my late father in-law's Power PC G4 Desktop with OS 10.4.11. I backed up the files on an external hard drive and deleted them on the iMac.. I don't know if there is any demand for this item, but the question is if I either sell it or trash it, how do I securely permanently delete all files that cannot be recovered by anyone? Thanks in advance to anyone to those that can help me on this issue.

tommozer1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2022
Secure erase in disk utility. With the drive connected to your iMac. Three pass fine but you can do most secure if you want.

After 2 hours of using Disc Utility, the following message appears:

Your startup disk is almost full.
You need to make more space available on your status disk by deleting files.

Capacity: 55.9 GB
Available: 37.8 GB
Used: 18.1 GB
Number of Files: 362,436

Nothing was deleted...

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
After 2 hours of using Disc Utility, the following message appears:

Your startup disk is almost full.
You need to make more space available on your status disk by deleting files.

Capacity: 55.9 GB
Available: 37.8 GB
Used: 18.1 GB
Number of Files: 362,436

Nothing was deleted...

I can't imagine what process you were using for that message. You're booting off the installer DVD right? You can't wipe a drive that you are booted off of. You have to be booted off the installer or another bootable drive.

Since this is Tiger
- Boot off the installer DVD or another bootable drive.
- Open Disk Utility.
- Select the drive you want to erase.
- Select the Erase tab.
- Click Security Options and select 7 Pass Erase (really anything over 3 Pass is a bit overkill, 35 pass is absurd)
- Click OK
- Click Erase

If this is booted off the installer disk. After you wipe the drive and close Disk utility. You can now install OS X.

davidg5678

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2020
If you are comfortable with it, the hard drive in this model PowerMac can be easily removed with just a few screws. Instructions for this are available on ifixit.com. If you don't want to deal with PowerPC troubleshooting, you can pull the hard drive from the PowerMac and wipe it using an IDE to USB adapter and disk utility on any modern computer. This will preserve the computer so that someone else can still use it later (once they reinstall OSX.)

Alternatively, you'll need to find or burn a bootable disk so that you can wipe the hard drive while it's still installed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.