Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WWDC Keynote

• Wasn't exited these last years, not exited this year

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Wasn't exited these last years, yet I am this year

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • I was exited these last years, but not this year

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • I was exited these last years, and that didn't change for this year.

Votes: 17 56.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
These last few years I was less and less excited when the WWDC-keynote was coming close, but for some unknown reason I'm really psyched for the Keynote this year...

Is it just me? Or are you guys having the same emotions?

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Not interested in WWDC since they stopped having hardware announcements. Less and less excited about changes to the software too. Mostly I just worry that it’ll (further) degrade the experience on my existing device(s).

That represents a pretty significant shift and loss of trust. I used to be on the beta test train, thinking Apple always changed things for the better, now I’m unlikely to move my 8 Plus to iOS 13 at all. Apple already added a delay to 3D Touch on app icons for no apparent reason other than to cripple the technology, in a move eerily similar to the delay they added to the home button around the time the notched phones came out; and them artificially slowing UI animations on older devices to make them feel slower.

I’d move back to iOS 12.2 if I could (or whatever version immediately preceded them adding the 3D Touch delay) but—you guessed it—you can’t.

Considering I’m not a fan of the notch, the MacBooks are an overpriced mess (hate the keyboard and don’t trust its reliability) and desktops are neglected (is the new modular Mac Pro vapourware like the charging mat?), Apple needs to pull a really good WWDC to get me interested again. Otherwise I can’t see myself staying in the ecosystem long-term.

By the time I’m ready to move on from my 8 Plus I reckon the competition will compare even better. If Razer adds OLED to its next phone and improves the body further it could be an iPhone killer. One of the biggest advantages of Apple products though is still the range of excellent accessories available.

Last edited:
Reactions: BlankStar

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2016
Middle East
I've been less impressed the last couple of years. Purely because I think the software is stagnating. Mail hasn't had a proper overhaul in god knows how long.

Something that also irks me is that where I currently work in the Middle East they don't support driving directions on apple maps. You can view all the detail but not actually use the map to navigate. Which is really odd given that Waze, CoPilot, Navigon, Google Maps, Maps.me etc all work perfectly fine.

You can happily buy the phone here. But can't use a default app. So hoping that they offer the ability to change the default apps given I'm going to be here for another year or so yet.

I'll still watch the keynote, In my opinion Tim is not a very good presenter. But thankfully he doesn't spend too long on the stage. I like to hear Jonny Ive's overly dramatic voice overs too. Just for the comedy value. I often wonder what he smokes/injects before he does them!

Last edited:

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
So what are the odds they go with a superstitious iOS 14 release name?
I'd say zero.

I agree with pretty much everything that's been said. They've lost their luster and I can't stand Tim's faux excitement during his presentations. My XS has been the most frustrating iPhone experience to date (and I've been around since the first) so it'll likely be my last for a while. I'm actually half tempted to find an old X as I had a great year with that model.

If Apple didn't have me locked in with iMessage I would have defected this year for sure. I really hope they clean up with iOS 13 instead of going the wrong way.

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2016
Middle East
I think Apple knows they have to hit a homerun... iOS 12 is basically iOS 11.5..
This will be epic..

I like your optimism. But if the TV+ announcement was anything to go by. I think we will be all left a little underwhelmed.

They are quite dogmatic with some things. Home screen layout for example has never changed from 4 icons per row and 4 on the dock at the bottom in 12 iterations of the software. We only ever got more rows on the bigger devices from the iPhone 5 onwards.

To be honest I'm not overly sure what they could do with the looks. I doubt they will go back to Skeumorphism. They could allow us to customise the display a la paranoid devices. But I doubt that will happen.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I'd say overall, I'm generally excited to see what Apple will be releasing software wise each year. That certainly has not changed this year.

Although last year, I did not install the iOS 12 PB on iPhone. This year, I probably will. But I may install it on my iPad Pro since I use my iPhone for work and can't have apps being incompatible.

jmarttu24

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2017
I am expecting a big let down. Oh we got dark mode. It's been here for years with a jaibreak. We got a new volumn hud. It's been here for years with a jailbreak. These are the big changes they have been making... Its been the same stale UI design year after year.

liftedpsd2010

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2017
I mean what else can they do? Why change what works? Lol people have been so spoiled with yearly updates. There’s not much more needed to be upgraded on the phone.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I am expecting a big let down. Oh we got dark mode. It's been here for years with a jaibreak. We got a new volumn hud. It's been here for years with a jailbreak. These are the big changes they have been making... Its been the same stale UI design year after year.

The early rumors made iOS 13 seem like a complete overhaul. Those rumors really buoyed expectations. In reality, iOS 13 is a big tweak targeted at iPad. Apple literally calls it iPadOS. But for iPhone, it seems to be more like a "point" release.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Neither 'exited' nor 'excited.' Announcing means nothing to me. When can I have it is my question.

Concerned about the iTunes change. There was a time when I was confident they could pull off a change this big without messing it up. Those days are LONG gone.

jmarttu24

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2017
The early rumors made iOS 13 seem like a complete overhaul. Those rumors really buoyed expectations. In reality, iOS 13 is a big tweak targeted at iPad. Apple literally calls it iPadOS. But for iPhone, it seems to be more like a "point" release.

I was really hoping for some new animated icons or widgets being introduced into the home screens but it looks like it's only happening on the iPad. I would at least like the freedom to be able to do that on my phone or leave it as the standard UI.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.