Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
Hi,
I'm using a old MP as a heater and so far have been running Boinc with it.
I'd like to put it to mine some crypto also (I know I can't earn anything from it), but...
Is there any working mining apps for osX?
(It's running El Capitan 10.11.6)

I wouldn't like to install windows to it, but I can if there's no alternative.

I noticed that there is new Honey Miner, but they take quite a piece from mining to themselves.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
Hi,
I'm using a old MP as a heater and so far have been running Boinc with it.
I'd like to put it to mine some crypto also (I know I can't earn anything from it), but...
Is there any working mining apps for osX?
(It's running El Capitan 10.11.6)

I wouldn't like to install windows to it, but I can if there's no alternative.

Even if you could, why?

It'll cost significantly more to mine than it will generate any return so you'll loose money on the deal.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
If I'm heating a space with electricity, I could use my MP to do that and loose nothing.

A computer is absolutely terrible at efficient heating and you'd save money by buying a modern efficient space heater if that's your gig.

Besides you can't just dip your toe in this: you have to get over 6 BTC or you got nothing.

Mining favors GPU over CPU.

You haven't supplied any useful information in your post - not least where you live (important because that defines energy costs) or the specs on your old Mac Pro.

Edit: I see you live in Helsinki - at 0.18 Kwh you're all but guaranteed to loose money on this venture as your energy costs will outweigh anything you may get in Bitcoin.

Last edited:

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
One more thing: I have free electricity.

If you are saying that heating by computer is not efficient, tell me where does the energy go? You know thermodynamics?
All the energy the computer uses turn to heat. You can't pipe that energy away with ethernet.
Very small fraction goes to turning fans and hdd's (if you have them).

If I'd mine ethereum will there still be 6 BTC limit?
Any links to this limit?

Btw,
electricity is not 0.18€/kWh here, if you need to buy that...

KeesMacPro

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2019
All the energy the computer uses turn to heat.
If that would be true, you're talking about a heater with a 100% efficiency (which doesnt exist), not a computer.
A working computer performs tasks and unfortunately , a certain part of the energy it uses is loss and dissipated as heat (like with all electronic devices).

You can't pipe that energy away with ethernet.
This reminds me of a question i was asked once : Where does the light go when it's dark? Well, open the fridge!

Last edited:

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
If that would be true, you're talking about a heater with a 100% efficiency (which doesnt exist), not a computer.
Well. AFAIK, both are allmost perfect in efficiency.
Otherwise just tell me where does the energy go?

You can of course use heat pumps to have more heat than used electricity, but I'm just renting the place and the rent includes electricity. Most people in this building use silme electric heaters at winter, because the house is not in very good condition and leaks heat quite a bit.

How about something on-topic?

KeesMacPro

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2019
How about something on-topic?
Like the efficiency of a heater ?
Posting on a forum for Mac users?
Really?

I already answered this one:
"Otherwise just tell me where does the energy go?"

Where does the light go when it's dark? Well, open the fridge!

Test it: switch off the light and open the fridge.

I can tell you where your electricity bills go too: your landlord.

Last edited:

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
Like the efficiency of a heater ?
Posting on a forum for Mac users?
Really?

I already answered this one:
"Otherwise just tell me where does the energy go?"

Where does the light go when it's dark? Well, open the fridge!

Test it: switch off the light and open the fridge.

I can tell you where your electricity bills go too: your landlord.
Are you, like really really, saying that my landlord suffers a loss, because I heat with MP, instead of regular heater?

Once more:
(almost) all energy that goes to a electronic heater or MP turns to heat. Tiny fraction can turn something else like photons that fly out of window. Another tiny fraction goes to moving fans and a hdd, but both of those mainly turn to heat also.
Believe it or not. If you don't believe me or wikipedia, ask some expert. Or study some physics.

I don't get your fridge thing. Light, witch is photons is absorbed by materials around and photons heat that material.
Heat is transferred both by conducting (molecules move each others) and by (infrared) photons.
Storing light "as it is", as photons is pretty hard, btw, since they don't have resting mass.
In a way, you are right that heat energy goes to the same place than light, the matter it hits absorbs it. Photons turns to heat.

And to somebody else:
If you know any working solution to mine some bit coins in osX, please, let me know.

Last edited:

pattielipp

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2014
Charleston, South Carolina
XMRig 6.12 will be your best solution...
A few things to note. you're going to be limited to CPU mining unless you revert to a version of OSX pre Metal since the OpenCL drivers are no longer present.
I'm currently mining Wownero for ***** and giggles which is a fork of monero. My hashrate is a little over 2kh/s with the X5690(single CPU). This should come out to about $0.40USD a day at current exchange rates. Compare that to a Ryzen 1600 that is only 65Watt, running on all cores, and pulling closer to 5kh/s. The only way to access the GPU(s) for mining on a recent machine will be bootcamp into windows or linux.

My mining is/was out of curiosity and speculation that the coin will increase in value over time. I am/was losing money on it, which is why I turned the miner off.

In terms of profit..... lets do some math..
The X5690 at full load pulls around 130Watts.
The CPU mining on all cores has a hash rate of 2.1KH/s which comes out to roughly $0.4317 per day(wownero).
Power for me in off peak hours costs $0.08/kWh.

Taking all of this into account, I will be loosing $0.01 per hour, $0.25 per day, $1.75 per week.. you get the point.

A couple things to note... The CPU isn't the only thing pulling power, so that 130W could be substancially more when you calculate in the rest of the hardware. I have tested mining Monero, Uplexa and Wownero on the CPU. Uplexa was the most profitable when it's volume was higher and the price higher, but is now back down. It was making money, albeit just a few cents a day. Wownero is second best, while Monero is just a waste on this CPU(S).
My opinion, don't waste your time or energy as it'll only shorten the lifespan of the machine and won't yield you any profit...

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
XMRig 6.12 will be your best solution...
A few things to note. you're going to be limited to CPU mining unless you revert to a version of OSX pre Metal since the OpenCL drivers are no longer present.
I'm currently mining Wownero for ***** and giggles which is a fork of monero. My hashrate is a little over 2kh/s with the X5690(single CPU). This should come out to about $0.40USD a day at current exchange rates. Compare that to a Ryzen 1600 that is only 65Watt, running on all cores, and pulling closer to 5kh/s. The only way to access the GPU(s) for mining on a recent machine will be bootcamp into windows or linux.

My mining is/was out of curiosity and speculation that the coin will increase in value over time. I am/was losing money on it, which is why I turned the miner off.

In terms of profit..... lets do some math..
The X5690 at full load pulls around 130Watts.
The CPU mining on all cores has a hash rate of 2.1KH/s which comes out to roughly $0.4317 per day(wownero).
Power for me in off peak hours costs $0.08/kWh.

Taking all of this into account, I will be loosing $0.01 per hour, $0.25 per day, $1.75 per week.. you get the point.

A couple things to note... The CPU isn't the only thing pulling power, so that 130W could be substancially more when you calculate in the rest of the hardware. I have tested mining Monero, Uplexa and Wownero on the CPU. Uplexa was the most profitable when it's volume was higher and the price higher, but is now back down. It was making money, albeit just a few cents a day. Wownero is second best, while Monero is just a waste on this CPU(S).
My opinion, don't waste your time or energy as it'll only shorten the lifespan of the machine and won't yield you any profit...
I'm learning now how to use XMRig.
I'd like to decrease the cpu load under 100%, bur so far been unable to do this with mp3,1 (2cpu's, 8 threads).
How could I do this?

I guess that "max-threads-hint" would work, but got an impression that I should first remove automatically detected settings, which are in ".xmrig.json or .config/xmrig.json in the user home directory" which I can't find.

Maybe the manual is for linux?

Last edited:

wys

macrumors member
May 31, 2021
Even if you could, why?

It'll cost significantly more to mine than it will generate any return so you'll loose money on the deal.
just to clear this up, a smart miner is not looking for a quick buck, time scales on home-user mining right now are in the "serveral years" range, so you should be mining with the intention to hold your gains for 1-5 years, after which time you will surely be far into the "profit" zone.

The real problem here is a matter of hardware and software compatibility.

CPU mining is only viable right now for Monero and similar coins, but expect to make ~$0.50 USD/day. Now, after you run your mining computer for a month to make $15, you will have to pray that your mining pool pays out such a small value in the first place. Nicehash can circumvent this issue, except I am not sure if it runs on macOS?

This is your second problem, macOS is probably one of the *least* supported OS's for mining. You would be better off on Windows, or Linux.

Finally, your CPU mining is really not going to amount to much. I know because I spent the past two months doing it. I started with Banano (running Folding At Home for BAN payouts) only to find that the minimums and transactions fees on BAN-accepting exchanges eat all your profits, then doing Nicehash only to make $50 after 6 weeks; and this was not on an old dusty Mac Pro, it was on a brand new Ryzen 3950X rig.

If you really want to mine at home, GPU is your only real option, which means you better hop on over to the Nerd Speak Discord chat and join the other 100,000 of us desperately trying to catch a GPU drop; graphics cards have been sold out all over the country (USA) for many months. If you are lucky enough to snag on, it probably will not work well in whatever Mac you have. But I will mention that in 2 weeks the single AMD Radeon GPU I did manage to catch (after two months of stalking Nerd Speak channels daily) has made far more money than the six weeks spent CPU mining.

tl;dr: dont waste time trying to CPU mine on a Mac, find GPU's and dont plan on "making a profit" for at least 5 years

if you are not sure what GPU's to get, try something on this list https://whattomine.com/gpus

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
just to clear this up, a smart miner is not looking for a quick buck, time scales on home-user mining right now are in the "serveral years" range, so you should be mining with the intention to hold your gains for 1-5 years, after which time you will surely be far into the "profit" zone.

CPU mining is only viable right now for Monero and similar coins, but expect to make ~$0.50 USD/day. Now, after you run your mining computer for a month to make $15, you will have to pray that your mining pool pays out such a small value in the first place. Nicehash can circumvent this issue, except I am not sure if it runs on macOS?

This is your second problem, macOS is probably one of the *least* supported OS's for mining. You would be better off on Windows, or Linux.

Finally, your CPU mining is really not going to amount to much. I know because I spent the past two months doing it. I started with Banano (running Folding At Home for BAN payouts) only to find that the minimums and transactions fees on BAN-accepting exchanges eat all your profits, then doing Nicehash only to make $50 after 6 weeks; and this was not on an old dusty Mac Pro, it was on a brand new Ryzen 3950X rig.

If you really want to mine at home, GPU is your only real option, which means you better hop on over to the Nerd Speak Discord chat and join the other 100,000 of us desperately trying to catch a GPU drop; graphics cards have been sold out all over the country (USA) for many months. If you are lucky enough to snag on, it probably will not work well in whatever Mac you have. But I will mention that in 2 weeks the single AMD Radeon GPU I did manage to catch (after two months of stalking Nerd Speak channels daily) has made far more money than the six weeks spent CPU mining.

tl;dr: dont waste time trying to CPU mine on a Mac, find GPU's and dont plan on "making a profit" for at least 5 years

if you are not sure what GPU's to get, try something on this list https://whattomine.com/gpus

Of course, your post totally ignores some real crucial aspects: the cost of the rig, the cost of your rigs cooling system and the cost of electricity.

Crypto currency’s are going through a massive upheaval this year - China’s actions alone endanger the crypto mining ecosystem.

The days of casual miners ever turning a profit are long in the past and, unless you’re an early investor, thinking crypto is a long term holding is a recipe for disaster for the individual casual investor.

wys

macrumors member
May 31, 2021
Of course, your post totally ignores some real crucial aspects: the cost of the rig, the cost of your rigs cooling system and the cost of electricity.
OP says they already have a Mac and have free electricity. I'm gonna assume they're a college student or live with parents. Regardless they're description doesn't sound like anything that's gonna be worthwhile.

Crypto mining is already on it's way out thanks to ETH moving to proof of stake. I don't think china is going to make a difference for a home user.

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland

Like you (kind of) said for yourself:
Shortage for GPU's makes them too expensive to be used in mining at home.

It's quite cute that everybody's so concerned about use of electricity.
Well, my renter (lessee?) isn't very nice (not going to go deep to this now) and just for a greed, they don't install electricity meters, since the regulators probably wanted them to renovate also other things, so it would cost notable amounts.
But once again: if I heat my flat with mp3,1 does not waste any energy, compared to that I'd use a plain simple electronic heater. At summertimes, when no heating is needed, it will waste energy, but not the other times.
The only thing that takes a hit is Boinc, which I'm not using when mining.

How does ETH change the mining?
Isn't it just one crypto among others and mined just like all the others?

Last edited:

wys

macrumors member
May 31, 2021
My stats with XMRig is now 0.003 XMR.
Is it so, that one will be paid, when balance exceedes 0.07 XMR?
Depends on the mining pool you're using. If you can't easily make the minimum payout then it's better to just use Nicehash which mines XMR and other coins and pays in BTC

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
Depends on the mining pool you're using. If you can't easily make the minimum payout then it's better to just use Nicehash which mines XMR and other coins and pays in BTC
I'm using https://web.xmrpool.eu/ now.
"Standard wallet address - 95 characters Minimum payment threshold = 0.07 XMR"
Just recounted the characters in my address - yep, 95.

This list seems to be very helpful: https://miningpoolstats.stream/monero
I just changed to a pool, which has 0% fee and 20 times smaller min. payout!

Last edited:

KeesMacPro

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2019
It's quite cute that everybody's so concerned about use of electricity.

I would rather put it this way:

After so many years of mankind , finally a few of us apparently are "cute" enough to get aware of the environmental impact we have on this planet.

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
There is a setting in XMRig's web-config, in Pools section that you can cross "nicehash" box. How does this affect, like for the pool I'm using now, gulf.moneroocean.stream ?

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
I would rather put it this way:

After so many years of mankind , finally a few of us apparently are "cute" enough to get aware of the environmental impact we have on this planet.
This is particularly cute for me, since I was born to a very environmentally aware family, which ended up to start the environmental movement in my area and finally the Green party (here in Finland). I was taught all about greenhouse effect and acid rains in the 70's. Maybe before you were born? And watched how others (especially politicians) started to learn these things 30 years later and were always referring things "in the light of this new info". That's cute.

So, I have abandoned my car and using only bicycle (although electrical one), so does that warrant me to use 300 watts of hydroelectric power (that's what my lessee uses) to this my new hobby? If the electricity is green?
Do I need to have smaller footprint than you to keep this hobby?

Btw,
is it so, that you don't spell equipnment with a "n" anymore, but you do with environment?

Last edited:

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
I'm still mining sometimes when electricity is cheap.
The MP is still unresponsive when mining.

Anybody else doing this?
How to "nice" the process?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.