Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which life path are you going to choose?

• Total voters

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Liked the trailer for the DLC, might pick it up when it's on sale... Played CP2077 when it just got released (crashing every 15-50 minutes) so got a bad aftertaste on this game...
I put 90+ hours into it and really enjoyed *parts* of it but was also incredibly disappointed by parts of it. I'll eventually end up playing the DLC but I'm in no rush.

Reactions: Donfor39 and Queen6

delsoul

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2014
Who will play Cyberpunk 2.0 and buy Phantom Liberty?

The improvements seem significant:

I almost started cyberpunk again yesterday after a near year long hiatus but I didn’t. I was deep into the game and love it a lot, but when they did that update where it totally reset your skills and skill points…I said no more. I had my character exactly like I wanted it and then without warning they just reset everything on me because they said it was “necessary” for the update they did. I couldn’t remember how many points I had where and which skills I fully unlocked, etc. I was beyond disappointed and pretty much stopped playing after they did that. Totally
Ruined my character on me.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Exactly. I enjoyed the game overall but at the same time I feel kind of burned from how many bugs there were.
I will wait to wait long term reviews in a few weeks time, and then make a decision on whether the DLC is worth buying. The only reason why I’m still keen on the game is because I find Nightcity, the weapons etc sexy and badass. Video of the game running on $10k PCs are stunning. I wish the Series X visually would receive a Small upgrade. I hate choosing between 60fps and quality mode.

Hats off to Sony for bumping up the next Spider-Man to ray tracing in all graphical settings.

Reactions: Queen6

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
The 2.0 patch is a HUGE change. I had started a new playthrough but avoided as much story as possible and focused on side gigs. Haven’t started Takemura yet, just about to.

The new mechanics and skill trees are going to require some time investment to review. Need to re-assign all my perks. Inventory and crafting has changed. It’s almost like a brand new game! 2.0.1 or 2.1 will bring further refinement. I don’t expect them to have got it right just yet. But it’s been an amazing journey from the 1.4(?)ish days. It’s now a great game, IMO.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
The 2.0 patch is a HUGE change. I had started a new playthrough but avoided as much story as possible and focused on side gigs. Haven’t started Takemura yet, just about to.

The new mechanics and skill trees are going to require some time investment to review. Need to re-assign all my perks. Inventory and crafting has changed. It’s almost like a brand new game! 2.0.1 or 2.1 will bring further refinement. I don’t expect them to have got it right just yet. But it’s been an amazing journey from the 1.4(?)ish days. It’s now a great game, IMO.
Amazing. I look forward to replaying the game in December.

Almost three years since I purchased it. By then Phantom liberty might be available at discount and the "final" bugs might have been resolved.

Reactions: Queen6 and Howard2k

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
I will be busy this autumn. Cp2077 2.0, starfield and possibly the new assassins creed will be games that I need to play through. Hopefully I won’t be distracted by other titles! I also have a 12 month gamepass ultimate from bt that I will activate as some point.

Queen6

macrumors G4
In time as the game drive is full, OG CP2077 was a massive disappointment not even close to Witcher 3. Game had little to no depth and very much came across as a childish looter shooter. With the 2.0 update I'll take another look, equally expectations are low...

Q-6

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
I will be busy this autumn. Cp2077 2.0, starfield and possibly the new assassins creed will be games that I need to play through. Hopefully I won’t be distracted by other titles! I also have a 12 month gamepass ultimate from bt that I will activate as some point.

CP2077, Starfield, and Spider-Man II on my game list for the remainder of this year. I have a feeling Starfield will take longer than SPII and CP2077, but that's a good challenge to have.

It seems like it was quiet for a few months and now we have a glut of good games. RoboCop looks like it could be decent too.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Forgot that Cyberpunk can be enjoyable, if not amazing Combat wise.
The bugs and incompleteness of the game was not detrimental to my enjoyment. I’m thoroughly excited about my second playthrough. CDPR have gone to great length with fixing the game and probably have scope to go a little bit further. Therefore I will likely wait a couple of more month as I’m unlikely to do a 3rd playthrough once GT6 launch.

Reading about CP2.0 makes me a bit sad that they abandoned the multiplayer version.

Reactions: Donfor39

panjandrum

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2009
United States
I waited this one out, dabbling in it on and off but unwilling to dive in to a full playthrough until it ran and looked like I wanted it to. Got one great playthrough on a mildly modded 1.63 and made sure to finish it before 2.0 dropped. Was fantastic. I'll come back when I can play Phantom Liberty and a 2.x playthrough the way I want it to look and play. Currently the visual downgrades (street reflections borked, reduced saturation for neon, etc., and that's with RT Reconstruction mode!) and the lack of what I consider absolutely necessary mods (pretty much just Constant Rain and a temporal mod to make nights really long and days really short) mean I'll wait it out again.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
I waited this one out, dabbling in it on and off but unwilling to dive in to a full playthrough until it ran and looked like I wanted it to. Got one great playthrough on a mildly modded 1.63 and made sure to finish it before 2.0 dropped. Was fantastic. I'll come back when I can play Phantom Liberty and a 2.x playthrough the way I want it to look and play. Currently the visual downgrades (street reflections borked, reduced saturation for neon, etc., and that's with RT Reconstruction mode!) and the lack of what I consider absolutely necessary mods (pretty much just Constant Rain and a temporal mod to make nights really long and days really short) mean I'll wait it out again.
In that case you are better off waiting for the "real" Cyberpunk which will be the sequel. I have now played CP2.0 for a few hours and here are my thoughts:

Audio
Wow. The sound engineers for the game don't get enough credit. What a phenomenal aural experience in Atmos with rear upwards firing speakers. Voices are crisp, music not over powering whilst ambient sound is high detailed and believable.

Perks, Clothes and Skills
All have been revamped and are much more logical now. I recommend a new play-through to wrap your head around and appreciate the changes. It's clear that CDPR have listened to feedback.

Driving and NPC
My first play through on launch day in 2020 was fine on XSX. I only encountered 3 or so bugs but neither were detrimental to gameplay. However, the behaviours and physics work much better now. Great ideas were there from day one but now it feels like Night City has undergone Q&A. Stunts when going berserk and into John Wick mode are really cool and I love the visual effect.

Graphics
When the game was release, we were in the hype cycle of next gen consoles. We were naive to believe that all games would run in native 4k, 120fps with ray tracing. hahaha 🤣🤣 Our expectations were too high.

The game hasn't changed much except that performance mode looks decent, less grainy and closer to Ray Tracing mode. The latter mode is useless. I have flicked back and forth but can't see any ray. Furthermore, once you are used to playing at 60fps over 2-3 years, it's difficult to go back. The game looks good but lacks visual pop - especially on a non-OLED Dolby Vision TV. It looks like a previous gen game, which is what it is!

Why I'm excited
This upgrade brings a closure to CP2077. Let's move forward towards the sequel. I think it will be a significantly better and more complete game because:
-It will be built using Unreal Engine 5 which has been debugged and proven to run will on XSX/PS5. Therefore the developers won't have to waste resources on developing a game engine, and can instead focus on art, game mechanics and hopefully online multiplayer.
-The team creating the sequel are based in the US instead Poland. This means, access to a greater pool of UE developers and they'll work in the same time zone as Xbox, Microsoft, Nvidia, AMD and Unreal.
-They have learned a lot from debugging and fixing CP2077 and have a flurry of mods and community feedback to inform the new game.
-CPDR won't be stretched thinly. The new game will likely developed for just three platforms, XSX, PS5 and Nvidia RTX all of which have been rolled out and are not in development. This is easier than developing for Xbox one, Xbox one X, Series X, PS4, PS4 Pro, PS5, Stadia and PC.

panjandrum

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2009
United States
The've already gotten Constant Rain updated and there has been some chatter about the Borked wetness and the lighting downgrades:

Kind of a shame though, that some many devs rely on their modding base to fix things.

Regardless, 1.63 looks a LOT better than 2.0 if you are a lightning / immersion wonk. I love old Film Noir, for example, sometimes just to admire the amazing lighting. So to me these downgrades are just unacceptable and I'll have to wait for the modding community to fix what CDPR Borked. I expect most people will just be happy with the increased performance however.

Last edited:
Reactions: Macalicious2011

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
I am genuinely enjoying my second play through. Unlike last time, I am not wasting brain power overthinking dialogue choices or wasting time reading journals and lore for clues.

Right now I am playing for culture, action and giggles. I will likely buy Phantom liberty but I will wait a few weeks for it to go on sale.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Update:
I'm now at mission 26. Only done 3-4 side quests:

Perks and skill tree: It's sublime and huge upgrade compared with launch date. I also like that you can request a refund on the perks in case you want to go up a different tree.

Police: Their presence on the street is nice and makes the streets feel more alive. Furthermore I don't need to worry about police spawning randomly behind me in an area that is not patrolled. However, so far no police has turned up when I have attacked thugs or done side quests. As a result I feel like I've gone from one extreme to the other e.g too much intervention to no intervention.

I'm playing at normal difficulty. Last time I pursued a rifle and sniper build with quick hacks and fortified tendons. This time I'm pursuing a blunt weapon with sandevistan build. My backup weapon is a smartpistol. AI difficulty is ok. However as I upgrade my character I might increase the difficulty to hard or else I might feel a bit overpowered.

Having watched 3 reviews of Phantom Liberty, I'm tempted to buy it. My impression is that the Phantom Liberty is a mini version of what the original game intended to be. One reviewer calls it redemption. If CDPR wanted to redeem themselves then the DLC should have been cheaper. £25 is expensive when the base game has been out for almost 3 years and can be purchased for £12-15 on eBay. However, it's obvious that a lot of resources have been put into the DLC including paying Elba and Reeves and some of that costs has to be recouped.

It's inevitable that the DLC will be discounted 1-2 months and my ideal entry price will be £12-17. I look forward to buying it and probably replay Phantom Liberty on it's own 2-3 times using different builds.

Reactions: Queen6

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Mother of God. Otherworldly spend on an expansion.

Phantom Liberty
Development: $60 million
Marketing: $21 million
Total: $81 million

Main game
Development: $174 million
Marketing: $142 million
Total: $316 million

This explains why PL is an expensive and critically expansion, CDPR spent a fortune on the dlc. It could be considered a game on its own. However I also believe that the cost of developing games has sky rocketed in the past few years.

This is probably why studios are increasingly keen on free to play games with in app purchases.

Reactions: Weaselboy

Flamingdeathbolts

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2023
Picked up a disk copy of the game. First time playing it and already a few hours in. I’m enjoying the interactions, game controls are great, and it has been running smoothly.

Only thing I may change up is I started as a street kid but I might start over in corpo.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Big news if you haven’t purchased Phantom liberty. I am glad that I waited. The ultimate edition includes CP and Phantom liberty. Best of all, the Xbox variant includes a physical disc for Phantom Liberty, rather than a non-transferable DLC code.

Instead of buying phantom liberty digitally, I’ll buy the ultimate edition on sale or used!

IMG_3930.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.