Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
Nope im not getting audio through head/earphones. Does that mean something?
Just means it's looking less likely to be a speaker hardware issue, more likely to be a problem with the logic board. Now, did you try booting into safe mode as I suggested early on?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
What macOS version are you running now?

I suggest that a reinstall of macOS could be worth a try.
Boot to the recovery system, run Reinstall macOS.
Even better, if you have a bootable external USB with your current system installer, that will also be a something that you can try. (can reinstall missing or corrupted kexts that control the audio chip -- could fix your issue!)

Reactions: StoneJack and zoran

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
#Delta Isn't it strange that in order to resolve the speaker issue, only a recovery reinstallation could do it?

#BrianBaughn Ive done the Diagnostic Test

Attachments

• MBook Diagnostic Test.jpeg
    MBook Diagnostic Test.jpeg
    206 KB · Views: 57

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
#Delta Isn't it strange that in order to resolve the speaker issue, only a recovery reinstallation could do it?

#BrianBaughn Ive done the Diagnostic Test
Why would a reinstall be "strange"? It is a possible solution, and something that is easy to do, and with very little risk involved, other than the 20 to 45 minutes that it might take.
Might not help, but won't hurt, and a possible fix, so, no, not strange.

But, looking into those reference codes that you found after running diagnostics - PFM006 and PPN001 - are pointing to possible hardware problems. Other mentions on the 'net about those codes sometimes find that the battery may need to be replaced (and your test also reported that the battery is holding significantly less charge than when it was new. If you have not inspected the battery recently for swelling, that might be a good plan to check that ASAP.
I would also suggest that you could try an alternate app that offers some form of diagnostic, such as TG Pro, with the theory that you would have a second "opinion" on what is happening.

Last edited:
Reactions: zoran

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I appreciate hearing that you tried the reinstall. I think it was worth a try.
So, now you have hardware issues to think about.
Have you looked at your battery yet? Swelling, if that is present, is often easy to see (and can be more obvious, even without opening the bottom cover on your MacBook. Don't misunderstand, battery swelling is not a cause, it's a known result of use, and aging of the battery, so a quick inspection of your battery would be a good next step, and can tell you what happens next, and - even without any evidence of anything physical, the fact that your diagnostics indicates that your battery is heading toward failure (all batteries fail eventually, or at a minimum, make your laptop a less portable computer.)

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
That battery that’s been tested now, is the new battery that I replaced the swollen one! You believe there’s an issue with the new one? 😳

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
That battery that’s been tested now, is the new battery that I replaced the swollen one! You believe there’s an issue with the new one? 😳
Hi,
1. you have hardware problem. Reset SMC again just last time.
2. Audio chip is probably gone. It may be related with batteries or not, maybe during battery exchange the chip was broken, which is a possibility. Also during battery exchange someone might forget to reconnect the audio chip cable.
3. Can u listen to sound on bluetooth? There should be no sound at all including bluetooth if audio chip is broken.

Finally, your best way is to take the notebook to repair shop and have them fix the hardware. It is not something you can do probably yourself.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
1. you have hardware problem. Reset SMC again just last time.
Could that hardware prob be the audio or even the new battery?

3. Can u listen to sound on bluetooth? There should be no sound at all including bluetooth if audio chip is broken.
How can listen sound t to trough Bluetooth? What hardware do I need?

Finally, your best way is to take the notebook to repair shop and have them fix the hardware. It is not something you can do probably yourself.
Aren’t there any tutorials for this?

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
Could that hardware prob be the audio or even the new battery?

How can listen sound t to trough Bluetooth? What hardware do I need?

Aren’t there any tutorials for this?
Battery itself not. However during battery exchange cables may be left not connected
Thru bt speakers or headphones
If u can try but if u dnt know about bt u probably cant

Hardijs

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2019
here, at last
Can i use my iPhone for the bluetooth speakers check?
it will not have any conclusive evidence regarding the state of your MacBook.
in itself iPhone is not able to do this - you have to put any available airplay receiver software on your iPhone - say for example https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/airview/id961671459?mt=8
there may be other though most of them are not free.
then it will use wifi to send the airplay compatible coded audio to iPhone - more likely than not – it will have zero connection to the sound part on the motherboard.
iPhone will not be able to use bluetooth for this purpose.
Neither BT nor wifi/airplay being able to provide sound will prove anything. Only if either ( or both) are unable to produce sound - the error messages may give some clue as to what is not going on.

best option is to go to any store that have bt speakers and say you want to check how they sound - do not talk about "anything dead" - just that would like to check if the bt speakers will suit you.
if it works - find the ones still within your budget and forget it all. - Repair most probably be out of roof and not worth for this year/make/model.
Also - as you may have omitted or I have misunderstood you - if you say that the battery was replaced - then go to the one that replaced battery and say that something may be not plugged in / the assembly has not be completed or done incorrectly - so have them check. Usually person able to replace battery in MacBook 12 retina should be quite qualified ...

Reactions: Alpha Centauri
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.