Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

levander

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
They will make you take it eventually. They will ram CSAM and all that good stuff up your port and probe all your insides -- on device, of course.

did we ever get more details about what CSAM does?

Me personally, I’m not worried about what they find out about me. I worry about what they’ll do with what they find out about me. And what they’ll do my computer once they declare all that power over it.

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
And you're both never going to buy a new phone for the rest of your lives i guess
How do you figure? I have a 12Pro. In another year it'll be paid off, and then I'll probably keep it for another year after that. Maybe two, if there isn't anything particularly impressive that's come out.

My previous phone was an X, and the one before that was a 7. I don't version-chase.

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
And you're both never going to buy a new phone for the rest of your lives i guess

that would be great - still happy with my 4s ?

71AE5362-C6A8-4E1B-95FF-34A31E8DF66E.png

• Haha
Reactions: Sikh and levander

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
If iOS 14 is "working perfectly" for you then something must be wrong as there are documented issues all over the place. Surely your iPhone have the stealthiest of spyware out there: WPSW (Working Perfectly Spyware) which makes the user think that everything is OK. ;)

Reactions: Sikh

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
If iOS 14 is "working perfectly" for you then something must be wrong as there are documented issues all over the place.
Oh, iOS 14 has several annoying bugs, to be sure. if I had anything I wanted, I'd want my X back and iOS 12. Buying the 12Pro was a mistake, it does nothing for me. It was just the new shiny.

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
Oh, iOS 14 has several annoying bugs, to be sure. if I had anything I wanted, I'd want my X back and iOS 12. Buying the 12Pro was a mistake, it does nothing for me. It was just the new shiny.
What are some of the annoying bugs? iOS 14.8.1 is stable and fast for me. No glaring issues to be seen anywhere.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
What are some of the annoying bugs? iOS 14.8.1 is stable and fast for me. No glaring issues to be seen anywhere.
The one iOS 14 bug I've encountered is that it won't allow any updates to be installed. It just errors every time you try to update in Settings. This is on 14.8, you can't even install 14.8.1.

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
The one iOS 14 bug I've encountered is that it won't allow any updates to be installed. It just errors every time you try to update in Settings. This is on 14.8, you can't even install 14.8.1.
Never had that issue.

levander

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
Check the available space on your hard drive. Every time I’ve had trouble updating, it was because there wasn’t enough space.

Why there’s no error message saying “free up space” is beyond me.

Reactions: Paddle1 and mikzn

kwijbo

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2012
Have seen this as well

"An error occurred downloading (null)."

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
iOS 14 randomly decides to delay audio notifications from third-party apps. A reboot solves it temporarily.

Reactions: Sikh

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
Check the available space on your hard drive. Every time I’ve had trouble updating, it was because there wasn’t enough space.

Why there’s no error message saying “free up space” is beyond me.
That's the weird thing, it doesn't mention insufficient space.

Now the problems are that first of all, these are 16GB devices, which makes clearing space harder, and secondly, they aren't mine.

I was able to update without issue on my own devices which have larger capacities, so it really points to space being a factor.

marksjc

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2014
iOS 15 soubds like a mess with the breaking of several solid aps and other bizarre behavior. How does Apple claim the App Store protects users from “bad” apps when the presumed reason for iOS issues is major level nomenclature change? That‘s not solid product, that‘s an excuse dev tells qa when tests fail. If new code exposes more risk it needs better internal process before release. I was for a time part of a previous beta which had serious issues (causing my switch off beta) but that’s a success when shipped mainline code is fixed before launch. I can’t update from 14.x on my iPad because upgrade fails install - no reason given. One possible work around involves taking out the sim card, then back in; replacing or installing the sim card with a different one (no activation req?) or simply opening and closing the sim carrier. There are other reported work-arounds but these were the most odd, while the 3 variations suggest a verification fail due to a misread siim, there are other suggested work-arounds but no ownership or fix, given the other bugs I’ll take the yellow flag and turn off auto updates…I’m getting flashbacks of a sim card doing a triple lutz down the sink drain.

Last edited:

marksjc

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2014
In the same way public transit misses a lot of user feedback from the naked guy scat singing through a rendition of “Burning Down the House” at the back of the bus..
Naked and scat singing…sounds like an awards show. Had to be sure adjective vs noun…where it’s *at! But the comparison is missing a bridge, shared wardrobe or something? Is that show a special transit pass? I can only imagine that on the oldest Manhattan trains…

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I'm staying on iOS 14. That's why I bought AirPods Pros instead of 3rd Gen AirPods.

iOS 14 just works flawlessly for me and I don't wanna ruin it.
These badges are not every week. just ignore it until you see an ioS 14 update for security purposes. Mom had an old saying ... pick your battles but here its' pick your gripes on what is bothering you. avoid the stress by not focusing on it if you can.

iOS14 works for you, keep it. iOS 15 not installed - disable automatic download and updates in iOS > Settings > General > updates. Then you'll be fine. Just tune in to macrumors once in a while and note any iOS 14 updates then when that appears install iOS14 security updates :D

re-focus and you'll be just fine.

Graham4723

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2018
These badges are not every week. just ignore it until you see an ioS 14 update for security purposes. Mom had an old saying ... pick your battles but here its' pick your gripes on what is bothering you. avoid the stress by not focusing on it if you can.

iOS14 works for you, keep it. iOS 15 not installed - disable automatic download and updates in iOS > Settings > General > updates. Then you'll be fine. Just tune in to macrumors once in a while and note any iOS 14 updates then when that appears install iOS14 security updates :D

re-focus and you'll be just fine.
Exactly what I do, no badges.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
Some folks (not necessarily OP) just don't like change. I remember complaining about iOS7's lack of skeuo. I had a phone and tablet that could do photorealistic icons and user-interfaces but iOS7 came along and everything looked like it had been designed in four colours on a Commodore 64. For a while i was p*ssed off. Then I got used to it.

pianostar9

macrumors regular
Some folks (not necessarily OP) just don't like change. I remember complaining about iOS7's lack of skeuo. I had a phone and tablet that could do photorealistic icons and user-interfaces but iOS7 came along and everything looked like it had been designed in four colours on a Commodore 64. For a while i was p*ssed off. Then I got used to it.
iOS 7 was definitely a stark change, and it took even Apple a bit to nail down the design...

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe

Some folks also like privacy.

https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F55dcab7a-3977-479f-a522-60238ab2f895_1918x1345.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.