Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clv101

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2024
Do Apple publish sales data for their machines? Given the M3 Max is a good improvement over the M2 Max, I'd expect current studio sales to be really depressed as most potential buyers will wait?

What's the holdup? I guess they will want to launch the M3 Studio with the Max and Ultra chips at the same time. Maybe the Ultra isn't ready? Maybe they only have enough Max chips for the laptops? Maybe laptops are simply more profitable than desktops?

clv101

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2024
As the Studio has mains power and better cooling, wouldn't it make more sense for the newer process to be reserved for Macbook, leaving the hotter less efficient chips for desktop?

Wakakanada

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2007
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Excellent and helpful information. Everything seems to point to your suggestion; buy Mac Studio M2 Max now and not bother with the M3 Studio Max. For sure I'll eliminate using a laptop to drive the monitors. Great insight, thanks. I like two screens and a 24 next to a 27 seems a little weird.
Younger dude here (61 ;)) just bought a refurbished entry level M2 Studio Max over an M3 MacBook Pro for my video editing needs. Hard decisions! Good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.