Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dbrewood

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2018
Manchester, UK
I had to exchange mine. The process was largely pretty smooth. They had a little trouble getting the shipment out, but once they did it was simple. I got a replacement, put mine in that box, affixed the included return label and dropped it at the UPS Store.

Sounds reasonable. I'll look to contact them later today.

Very easy. I called Dell support and had zero hold time, but I had to go through some standard troubleshooting steps with the tech agent before they agreed to send me a new monitor. They also gave me a free label to ship the original monitor back to Dell.

As for packing/unpacking, well, you already know the difficulty of that.

Okay, I was going to try and contact then via the web / email, but based on a what you say I'll give them a call later.

dbrewood

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2018
Manchester, UK
With macOS Sonoma, over several days, the memory pressure on my Mini would gradually increase until it got into the red zone consistently, and things became very sluggish.

Interesting, I wonder if it can affect other apps as I've had issues with Thunderbird reportedly taking up over 186Gb of memory.

dbrewood

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2018
Manchester, UK
That is what is typically reported yes... 189Gb actually.
Screenshot 2024-05-13 at 17.01.54.jpg

Thyme

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2023
That is what is typically reported yes... 189Gb actually.
View attachment 2378587
Interesting, I wonder if it can affect other apps as I've had issues with Thunderbird reportedly taking up over 186Gb of memory.
I do think the combination of DDPM and macOS does somehow affect other apps, but I think this is happening on the OS level somehow, e.g., something like OS cache data or storing images of the apps for when they are static, etc. I say this because I didn't have any single app that was obviously using way too much memory like you do (189 GB? Ouch!). Instead, all of my apps and open windows were each using somewhat more memory than normal according to Activity Monitor, and in the aggregate, this high memory use was causing my machine to hit swap a lot. Since uninstalling DDPM, this problem has completely gone away for me. So I suggest trying it for yourself to see if it also solves your memory problem.

Glad to hear you were already able to arrange getting a replacement from Dell!

dbrewood

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2018
Manchester, UK
The replacement monitor is all connected up, firmware updated and all is well. The camera and the joystick are all working perfectly.
The old monitor is due to be collected by UPS tomorrow. I'm beyond impressed!

Reactions: tstafford

dbrewood

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2018
Manchester, UK
That's some serious memory leak there. Sounds like there's a major bug in that app.
Looks like it's a CalDAV bug which stems from Thunderbird itself.

Back on topic..... Does anyone else get the following message, and on checking there is no firmware or software updates. Really annoys me!

Screenshot 2024-05-22 at 18.08.00.jpg

Udy7000

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2024
The Dell UltraSharp U3224KBA is now below 2.000€!
Where are you from? I tried repeatedly to buy a recently manufactured monitor and there was none. I payed for new and they sent me more than 1 year old monitors in clearly open boxes. That is in Romania. And it was 2250Euro

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
For those of you with the Dell 6K who are using BetterDisplay, have you noticed anything different about the brightness? I swear mine is now brighter but not necessarily in a good way. Like the software is boosting it more than it did before.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.