Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fiercetiger224

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2004
Finally, Dell decides to use AMD chips! So now you have a choice between Intel chips and AMD chips in their computers. Looks like the PC market has VASTLY changed throughout the past 3 years. I remember Intel was always at the top, but now things have been changing slowly. Oh well, just wanted to say what was on my mind...Trying to kill some time off work. :-\ Who knows, when Conroe and Merom comes out, maybe Apple will sell a crap load of their Macs when compared to other pcs. :-D

Oh well, here's the story:

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/060518/amd_dell.html?.v=1

fiercetiger224

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2004
yankeefan24 said:
I seriously didn't think this would happen by 2010. Wow.

Haha seriously! I thought Dell would just stay with Intel all the way through. But then again, they're sales have been VERY bad the past year, and there have always been rumors about Dell jumping onto the AMD bandwagon.

This should be very interesting though. I love BOTH AMD and Intel. Looks like the competition is about to heat up soon! I think Apple will kick everyone's butts once they have Conroe and Merom in their computers!

fiercetiger224

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2004
Whaaa? So maybe Dell is only using AMD chips for their servers. Opterons in "high-end four processors models."

Full story here:

heeeere

fiercetiger224

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2004
FF_productions said:
Whatever, it won't change the fact that Windows Xp runs on their machines.

Which is why Apple is gonna kick every PC vendors butt! Their new MacBooks are seriously SEXAAAY!! ^_^

truz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2006
Florida
Dell is doing it because Intel's are in Mac's now. Duh! ;)

I have to say tho, I use to be a huge amd fan... That's why I purchased HP laptops, due to them having amd chips in them. Until I got my imac ;) I'm mac only now...

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
odd that just as intel get their act together dell bothers to go AMD. by the time they get around to going AMD intel will have their core2duo thing going on, which beats the liveing **** out of anything AMD has or will have untill 2007

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2005
Hector said:
odd that just as intel get their act together dell bothers to go AMD. by the time they get around to going AMD intel will have their core2duo thing going on, which beats the liveing **** out of anything AMD has or will have untill 2007

Dell are just very committed to being rubbish.

fiercetiger224

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2004
Nermal said:
Dell have made this sort of announcement before. I'll believe it when I see it.

Well, they're definitely gonna be using Opterons. I guess Alienware will have all the "gamer" Athlon products, which Dell bought them out for. I just can't wait for Apple's new desktop Mac.....Called...Mac? Mac Pro? Which will beat out any freakin' Dell desktop in history, because it runs OS X!!! PUAHA!!! PWNED!!! ^_^

fiercetiger224

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2004
So sad, but true.

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7003650079

Looks like Intel has to start getting with the program too...Bring them Conroes, Woodcrests, and Meroms along! Can't wait to see them in the new desktop Mac, known as, the Mac Pro...?

This should happen with the desktop line...

Mac = Conroes, with reasonable expansion.
Mac Pro = Conroes and Woodcrests, for the professionals in mind.
Xserve = Woodcrest, obviously for servers.

So excited! Oh well, Dell won't stand a chance in the PC market anymore, things have drastically changed...Only if they brought AMD in earlier...

SC68Cal

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
Dell has always threatened intel with a switch to AMD to make Intel do what Dell wants.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.