Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Reuters' Story on Dell

Prices for PCs sold through retailers have been declining, eroding the advantage Dell had enjoyed because of its direct-sales business model, which bypassed retail stores, analysts said.

"Dell has been an underwhelming name in technology over the past year, and this is an indication that will probably continue," said Michael James, a senior trader at Wedbush Morgan Securities. "But I also think Dell has become less of a bellwether for technology stocks over the last two years, similar to Intel and Microsoft."

Supposedly XPS is the answer to this. *insert raucous laughter*

Dell executives have said they're taking a number of steps to boost revenue and profit margins, such as building up the company's computer services business, expanding in emerging markets including India and China and selling higher-profit video-game PCs.

Better work soon. And better hope for stability in the market pricing for large slabs of aluminum foil:

xps_index.jpg

Could be worse...they could still be planning on the Dell DJ to save their lives. ;)

jhu

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2004
and sgi just filed for bankruptcy today. what's your point?

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
jhu said:
well, less than a year ago, x86 sucked and ppc ruled. now that apple uses x86, it no longer sucks.

never really about the x86 or PPC but really about the chip speed, it just so happens the fastest chip is now x86(all around because the G5 Quad Still kicks A$$, but its to hot)

However still like the PPC idea more... but x86 is were its at!

Were to try to say in a few years we will like Dell becuz that is NOT happening!
I'll uses Linux before i support Dell

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.