Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dylan33x

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2021
This is happening to a friend of mine for the second time, can't find a solution.

She went from a 256 iPhone where she was using 60GB total storage to a 128GB iPhone. she has somewhere over 100GB of messages/attachments stored in iCloud. Some months ago when she initially did this, the phone downloaded as much as it could until the space was completely full. To the point where the phone would function correctly.

After some iCloud restores (where other glitches occurred) this essentially was fixed, and the phone downloaded maybe 10-20GB and stayed there.

Now, the phone has suddenly started doing this again, to the point where she can't even send me a screenshot over iMessages.

In googling this, I'm having trouble using differentiating terms as most people are (understandably) confused about either their local messages storage, or why so much iCloud storage is being used. But rarely am I finding posts on this specific issue.

The few that I've found don't have many proposed solutions, except for another restore. Obviously willing to do that, but seeing if anyone else has had this issue.

I've tried the usual suspects such as restarting, hard resetting, plugging in and leaving overnight, etc.

Lastly, from what I can tell this seems to be an iOS17 issue for the most part. My friend had to use an SE of mine for a few weeks as a loaner, and her iCloud restore screwed the phone completely, filling up the storage to the point where the phone was glitchy and wouldn't work at all. We restored twice and had the same outcome.

Any ideas?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.