Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you think the forum would benefit from a "dislike" thumbs down reaction?

• Yes

Votes: 59 59.0%
  • No

Votes: 41 41.0%

• Total voters

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
One of my posts above got an angry reaction. I have no idea what the person was angry about since I made a few points. Actually, I was the one having a bad day when I made the post; the thread on Brazil was making me very upset. My post had more emotion than I usually allow. It would have helped me to have received a reasoned response. But instead, MacRumors got the benefit of increased user engagement at my expense.
I received an angry emoji on a post of mine once and I simply said they quoted the wrong person (i.e. me). I never asked why, although I did scratch my head on that one. :)

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
Then you'd think the same restriction would apply to the "angry" emoji and at least somewhat to the "laughing" emoji, because if someone's triggered by a thumbs down, I imagine they'd also be triggered by those other two. Oh well.

In theory you are correct. If I had to guess as to why there are no limits on "angry" I'd have to say that most members here simply don't use it. I have seen some members use it when they run out of disagrees but even those that tend towards trolly behavior don't seem to use "angry" all that often. I guess "angry" does more to label the person using it than the post it was used in reference to.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I get that. You then added your own interpretation that one term was less "emotional" than the other. I'm saying I disagree with that. I think they're both equally negative (which is not a bad thing . . . just saying).
Actually I got the definition from a dictionary that compared like/dislike with agree/disagree.
Nor should it require a "disagree" emoji if it is so self-evident.
We disagree then.
Go to any YouTube video right now, look at the comments and tell me how many downvotes any comment has. You can't, because YouTube does not show dislikes.
1666893651102.png

No more than enforcing any other rule is 🤷🏼‍♂️ Simply putting a hard limit on the dislike button like they do now is definitely the easy way out, but is also too constraining.
It's an attempt to stop trolling.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
Actually I got the definition from a dictionary that compared like/dislike with agree/disagree.

??? I wasn't disagreeing with a definition; I was disagreeing with your opinion on which word was more/less emotional.

As you can see, it only shows how many likes there are, not how many dislikes. Just as I said. Same goes for YouTube comments as well, as I said.

It's an attempt to stop trolling.

I get that's the idea, but I don't really think it's an issue worth crippling the reaction for. Seems to me trolls normally get their jollies from creating drama in the comment section, not clicking on emojis.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
??? I wasn't disagreeing with a definition; I was disagreeing with your opinion on which word was more/less emotional.
The definition clarified the word was less emotional.
As you can see, it only shows how many likes there are, not how many dislikes. Just as I said. Same goes for YouTube comments as well, as I said.
There may not be any thumbs down...I don't know as I didn't test it. But there is a thumbs down button.
I get that's the idea, but I don't really think it's an issue worth crippling the reaction for. Seems to me trolls normally get their jollies from creating drama in the comment section, not clicking on emojis.
Trolling takes all forms, I guess.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
The definition clarified the word was less emotional.

Depends on the context and what's being discussed. Disliking someone's post is totally different than disliking a person and in my mind is no more/less emotional than saying you disagree with the post.

There may not be any thumbs down...I don't know as I didn't test it. But there is a thumbs down button.

I never denied there was a thumbs down button. My point was YouTube doesn't show how many dislikes a video or comment has (at least not publicly). I promise you it doesn't. I've been commenting and posting videos on YouTube for a long time. I really don't think it's important to see how many dislikes a comment has. I'd much rather see rational argumentation against those comments.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Depends on the context and what's being discussed. Disliking someone's post is totally different than disliking a person and in my mind is no more/less emotional than saying you disagree with the post.
Dislike is to feel dislike for. Disagree is to make an assertion that is contrary to made by another. So yeah, playing semantics disagree is less emotional than dislike. There is overlap, but there is a fundamental distinction in their definitions.
I never denied there was a thumbs down button. My point was YouTube doesn't show how many dislikes a video or comment has (at least not publicly). I promise you it doesn't.
You're mostly correct. Youtube only hides thumbs down from the public unless you install some chrome extension that can show the thumbs down. But the creator does see the thumbs down.
I've been commenting and posting videos on YouTube for a long time. I really don't think it's important to see how many dislikes a comment has. I'd much rather see rational argumentation against those comments.
In my opinion, can't have it both ways. Either claim to support that reactions should be followed by rational thoughts or claim to support they don't. Makes no sense (at least to me) to have it any other way. As in the case of liking a baseless, negative, generalized statement. I suppose we'll go round and round on this, but MR won't ever implement such a suggestion. The workload on the mods as well the parsing of the comments would bring to a halt any real (such as spam, insults and like) moderation.

There are days I wish I had more the 10 "disagrees".

• Love
Reactions: icanhazmac

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
Dislike is to feel dislike for. Disagree is to make an assertion that is contrary to made by another. So yeah, playing semantics disagree is less emotional than dislike. There is overlap, but there is a fundamental distinction in their definitions.

Language isn't that rigid. I mean, just think about it. If someone disagrees with a suggestion you make, does that mean they like your suggestion? No, that means they dislike it, obviously. On the other hand, if someone disagrees with your suggestion, that doesn't mean they dislike you personally. That's the key difference.

You're mostly correct. Youtube only hides thumbs down from the public unless you install some chrome extension that can show the thumbs down. But the creator does see the thumbs down.

Which is totally different than on MR. Obviously MR doesn't have to copy YT or vice versa, but I was just making the point that it's not some gospel principle that everyone browsing a forum needs to see how many dislikes a comment has for the forum to be ideal. IMO, it really wouldn't affect the dynamic of the forum if they removed that reaction (and the "angry" one) altogether. As I said earlier, there's not really a negative equivalent to the "+1" type cluttering comments (that the "like/agree" emoji takes care of) for the "dislike/disagree" emoji to be used for. At least, I don't think I've ever seen someone simply type "-1" or "disagreed" or "^not this" without further commentary. It seems the affirmative posts are far more common.

In my opinion, can't have it both ways. Either claim to support that reactions should be followed by rational thoughts or claim to support they don't. Makes no sense (at least to me) to have it any other way. As in the case of liking a baseless, negative, generalized statement. I suppose we'll go round and round on this, but MR won't ever implement such a suggestion. The workload on the mods as well the parsing of the comments would bring to a halt any real (such as spam, insults and like) moderation.

Again, when's the last time you wished someone explained why they liked your post? I'm guessing never (because you can safely assume they like it for the same reason you do, lol). When's the last time you wish someone had explained why they disliked your post. Probably frequently. In fact, if you're like me, it's nearly all the time. This is my point. They aren't the same thing. It's the same principle why people are more likely to click on a negative headline than a positive one. People are naturally curious why people are at odds, but not so much about when people are in agreement.

I'm not suggesting MR appoint a task force to actively enforce the rule any more than they do any other rule, but the rule would be in place so if a comment is reported, they could do something about it.

I think more than enough has been said about this, so this will be my final comment about the matter.

Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Language isn't that rigid. I mean, just think about it. If someone disagrees with a suggestion you make, does that mean they like your suggestion? No, that means they dislike it, obviously. On the other hand, if someone disagrees with your suggestion, that doesn't mean they dislike you personally. That's the key difference.
In the rabbit hole. Disagreement does not imply dislike.
Which is totally different than on MR. Obviously MR doesn't have to copy YT or vice versa, but I was just making the point that it's not some gospel principal that everyone browsing a forum needs to see how many dislikes a comment has for the forum to be ideal. IMO, it really wouldn't affect the dynamic of the forum if they removed that reaction (and the "angry" one) altogether. As I said earlier, there's not really a negative equivalent to the "+1" type cluttering comments (that the "like/agree" emoji takes care of) for the "dislike/disagree" emoji to be used for. At least, I don't think I've ever seen someone simply type "-1" or "disagreed" or "^not this" without further commentary. It seems the affirmative posts are far more common.
MR does not have a “dislike” button. The “disagree”, which is not the same as “dislike” I suppose can be used in an overall context to show posters dislike, disagree, are dissatisfied etc. A “-1” in a post would be the same to me as dislike. Taking the example of the negative, baseless, generalized post, if the disagree button wasn’t there, I would respond:

“This is a negative, baseless, generalized post. Please provide some specificity.”

Instead I disagree…the poster knew they committed a hit and run.
Again, when's the last time you wished someone explained why they liked your post?
Actually I wonder that all the time. The same as why I got some other reactions.
I'm guessing never (because you can safely assume they like it for the same reason you do, lol). When's the last time you wish someone had explained why they disliked your post. Probably frequently.
See above.
In fact, if you're like me, it's nearly all the time. This is my point.
Not true, I don’t care because people sometimes troll.
Post 1: apple shows no innovation lately.(negative, baseless generalized post)
Post 2: AirPods, Apple Watch ultra, dynamic island. (Reactions are all disagree)

I don’t care a whit why people disagreed.
They aren't the same thing. It's the same principle why people are more likely to click on a negative headline than a positive one. People are naturally curious why people are at odds, but not so much about when people are in agreement.

I'm not suggesting MR appoint a task force to actively enforce the rule any more than they do any other rule, but the rule would be in place so if a comment is reported, they could do something about it.
I disagree. No rule is needed. YMMV.
I think more than enough has been said about this, so this will be my final comment about the matter.
Sure has.

Reactions: icanhazmac

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
Actually I wonder that all the time. The same as why I got some other reactions.

I find that very hard to believe, but feel free to PM me next time you're confused why people are agreeing with your comments, and I'll let you know why (hint: it's the same reason you agree with your own comments) 😂

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011

I agree with you completely. But this might just depend on our personalities. Some people seem to always dislike things they disagree with. We are not in that group. But there's no way we're going to convince such a person that disagreement does not imply dislike.

This is the second example (just today) that makes me convinced there is no absolute answer to the thumbs down question. Personal preference and emotional disposition will always be a big factor in picking the best answer for any individual.

Reactions: I7guy

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I find that very hard to believe, but feel free to PM me next time you're confused why people are agreeing with your comments, and I'll let you know why (hint: it's the same reason you agree with your own comments) 😂
See post 2 example above. Let’s say I posted that in response to post 1.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
I agree with you completely. But this might just depend on our personalities. Some people seem to always dislike things they disagree with. We are not in that group. But there's no way we're going to convince such a person that disagreement does not imply dislike.

Maybe you can help me understand where you're coming from here. "Dislike" and "disagree" are synonyms in this context. In fact, if you have a Mac, look up the word "dislike" in the native Dictionary app and switch to the thesaurus. You'll see both "disagree with" and "take exception to" listed as synonyms for "dislike":

Screenshot 2022-10-27 at 8.31.28 PM.png

Certainly you wouldn't say you "like" something you disagree with, so what other choice do you have except to "dislike" it? Additionally, the thumbs-up emojis are commonly known as "likes" so why wouldn't the thumbs down emoji mean the opposite (dislike)? You could also call them "agree" and "disagree", respectively. Again, the terms are synonymous in this context.

Last edited:

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
View attachment 2103614

Close but not exactly the same as language can be very rigid at times.

Ok, that's someone opinion on the connotation on stackexchange--it's not gospel truth. And it depends on the context in which the word is used. I personally think you're overthinking this. Yes, language can be rigid, but not in this context. That's more true of highly technical fields, not everyday conversation. People say they "dislike" things all the time when they're not emotional about it. For example, if someone said to me, "I think we should feed the class [of small kids] spaghetti" and I say to them, "No, I dislike that idea. Too messy." I would feel absolutely ZERO emotion about it even though I used the word "dislike". It's a pragmatic issue in that case, not an emotional one.

I think "dislike" is a bit too formal sounding, though, in a casual context. I'd normally just say "don't like" to mean the same thing.

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018

❤️, my brotha! I absolutely can disagree without disliking or being angry with another's opinion on any topic! Ex: in general I disagree with @usagora on in this topic but I am somewhat sympathetic to @svenmany on this topic.

PS: I am thankful that both members metioned above at least are debating in good faith.

I find that very hard to believe, but feel free to PM me next time you're confused why people are agreeing with your comments

Ok, but I personally find that I can agree with a person's post without being 100% behind their opinion on a topic.

Ex: I can agree with a well formulated opinion on a topic without buying into it's content... if that makes sense? I have long been a proponent of the 🤔 emoji as a way of acknowledging "you give me something to consider", this does not mean I accept or promote the post, it simply means "I will consider what you said" and hope to update my thoughts appropriately. Many are not willing to accept that another has challenged their beliefs in a valid and considerate way but I hope that I am not such a person.

See post #115, I don't necessarily agree with @svenmany conceptually but I can like their comment on the topic.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: I7guy

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
Ex: I can agree with a well formulated opinion on a topic without buying into it's content... if that makes sense? I have long been a proponent of the 🤔 emoji as a way of acknowledging "you give me something to consider", this does not mean I accept or promote the post, it simply means "I will consider what you said" and hope to update my thoughts appropriately. Many are not willing to accept that another has challenged their beliefs in a valid and considerate way but I hope that I am not such a person.

I wouldn't consider myself as having "liked" a post unless I was fully on board with it. A post that simply makes me question my thinking may end up being a post I disagree with after further examination, so I wouldn't want to commit myself with a like OR dislike if I'm undecided.

I'd be careful with using the 🤔 emoji by itself without elaborating, because it can also convey "what on earth is this person talking about? I'm confused!" 😉

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
This explains a lot to me. It shows me that we are very different people; you have much thicker skin than I do. If every member of this forum disagreed with every single one of my posts, it would massively affect me. That you think nothing will happen means that it wouldn't affect you.

While I feel for the fact that you, as an individual, would be affected by mass negative reactions to one or all of your posts on MR I also cannot understand it because you are anonymous on this site, your comments and opinions mean far less as @svenmany versus if you identified as your RL name. Literally you can say anything here under @svenmany and have zero RL consequences.

I post somewhat regularly and I know damn well that some of my posts will garner mostly positive reactions from the community and I also know that I will be pwn3d on others, bottom line is I don't care because I am being true to my own opinions. Granted, if I was 100% getting pwn3ed on every single post I might move on to another site but that is not the case, in general I find I am in line with most here on most topics, that loosely allows me the luxury of thinking that I am loosely in line with the majority of the people I have chosen to share my ideas with on this site. Only rarely have one of my posts ended up mostly "in the red". There are some here who I know I will always be at odds with on certain topics but that is simply life.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
While I feel for the fact that you, as an individual, would be affected by mass negative reactions to one or all of your posts on MR I also cannot understand it because you are anonymous on this site, your comments and opinions mean far less as @svenmany versus if you identified as your RL name. Literally you can say anything here under @svenmany and have zero RL consequences.

It's simply because my opinion of myself is influenced by what others think of me. No doubt you have a much more solid footing than I do.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Ok, that's someone opinion on the connotation on stackexchange--it's not gospel truth.
And you said language isn't rigid. So it's one explanation of a definition out of many.
And it depends on the context in which the word is used. I personally think you're overthinking this.
All this back and forth and you're opinion is I'm overthinking this?
Yes, language can be rigid, but not in this context. That's more true of highly technical fields, not everyday conversation. People say they "dislike" things all the time when they're not emotional about it. For example, if someone said to me, "I think we should feed the class [of small kids] spaghetti" and I say to them, "No, I dislike that idea. Too messy." I would feel absolutely ZERO emotion about it even though I used the word "dislike". It's a pragmatic issue in that case, not an emotional one.
While people do use words incorrectly and we humans have the capacity to a) understand the context and b) know which word as incorrectly used, it doesn't take away from the basic definitions of dislike and disagree. They are not synonyms.
I think "dislike" is a bit too formal sounding, though, in a casual context. I'd normally just say "don't like" to mean the same thing.
As verbs the difference between disagree and dislike is that disagree is to not agree (harmonize) while dislike is (obsolete|transitive) to displease; to offend (in third-person only). As a noun dislike is an attitude or a feeling of distaste or aversion.

As you said language is not rigid, you can use these words and synonyms in any context you want. But they do not mean the same thing although these words are related.

I think there should be these three reactions: like, agree, disagree -- leaving out dislike, which may create more community resentment. Like and agree is not the same thing either. Although the thumbs up (like) when one doesn't have the reaction that fits exactly -- use what is there.

Last edited:

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
And you said language isn't rigid. So it's one explanation of a definition out of many.

Yes, that's my whole point! You're acting like it's the only explanation.

All this back and forth and you're opinion is I'm overthinking this?

All the back and forth is precisely because you continue to overthink this 😉 If you had simply said, "You're right, it depends on the context" instead of insisting on one universal definition/connotation regardless of context, then that would've been it.

While people do use words incorrectly and we humans have the capacity to a) understand the context and b) know which word as incorrectly used, it doesn't take away from the basic definitions of dislike and disagree. They are not synonyms.

The thesaurus disagrees with you. I literally posted a screenshot of it earlier. Again, they're not always synonyms, but in this context (reactions to forum posts) they are.

As you said language is not rigid, you can use these words and synonyms in any context you want. But they do not mean the same thing although these words are related.

You keep saying "they do not mean the same thing" without qualification, but--once again--that is totally dependent on the context in which they are used. In some contexts you are right, in this context (and others) you are wrong.

I think there should be these three reactions: like, agree, disagree -- leaving out dislike, which may create more community resentment. Like and agree is not the same thing either. Although the thumbs up (like) when one doesn't have the reaction that fits exactly -- use what is there.

No, like and agree mean the same thing in this context as well. Why on earth would I "like" something I don't agree with?* If I'm ambivalent about it, then I wouldn't react at all. Your proposition here would be highly confusing because of that overlap. Honestly, if we're wanting to consolidate to three reactions, I'd propose "like/agree", "laugh", and "dislike/disagree".
*If your answer is, "Well maybe I think the post was well-written, even though I still don't agree with them", I would still not want to put a "like" out there for it because that will certainly be misconstrued by many as you agreeing with their conclusion. Instead, I'd simply reply to them and say something like I appreciate their careful thought, even though I'm still not convinced, etc.

Last edited:

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
Honestly, if we're wanting to consolidate to three reactions, I'd propose "like/agree", "laugh", and "dislike/disagree".
I still propose a fourth: confused. There are some posts that just leave me scratching my head. If I had to type a reply with that one, it would always be, "What you talkin' about, Willis?".

• Haha
Reactions: svenmany

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
I still propose a fourth: confused. There are some posts that just leave me scratching my head. If I had to type a reply with that one, it would always be, "What you talkin' about, Willis?".

Agreed (liked? 😂). The closest existing one is the "Wow!" 😲 emoji, but that tends to convey more surprise/shock (e.g. if someone's posting about a major bug they've discovered in macOS) or "Wow, how stupid are you?!" or "Wow, you've really lost your marbles!" if someone posts an extreme or off-the-wall viewpoint.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
Why on earth would I "like" something I don't agree with?

That's a perfect question. I can only answer for me.

Liking a post is broader than agreeing with it. There are things in a post you might like other than the conclusion it reaches. You might like that an alternative view was offered. You might like the way it was presented. For me, liking a post just means I got pleasure from it.

I appreciate the opportunity to hear things I ultimately disagree with, if they have enough meat. Your posts, even though I might disagree with them, I often like since they have so much content.

One problem I have, since I see like and agree as different, is that I really need a way to put more than one reaction. Right now I can't put both "like" and "disagree" on a post.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
That's a perfect question. I can only answer for me.

Liking a post is broader than agreeing with it. There are things in a post you might like other than the conclusion it reaches. You might like that an alternative view was offered. You might like the way it was presented. For me, liking a post just means I got pleasure from it.

I appreciate the opportunity to hear things I ultimately disagree with, if they have enough meat. Your posts, even though I might disagree with them, I often like since they have so much content.

One problem I have, since I see like and agree as different, is that I really need a way to put more than one reaction. Right now I can't put both "like" and "disagree" on a post.

See the footnote on my post to I7guy (in post 146) where I address this exact answer. While you two (and I'm sure some others) may see the two reactions as different, I doubt most would, thus having both of those reactions would be very confusing and people would just be randomly clicking one or the other without any rational thought as to a distinction. And if you're "liking" posts you don't agree with, I can guarantee you many will construe that as meaning you agree with the poster. Be careful!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.