Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
A860498D-3B32-4D33-AF6A-B9E18E14B0B8.jpeg

I recently purchased this game (Mac/PC) on sale at Steam at 50% off despite owning the original and not getting very far in it. It’s a turn based (combat) isometric RPG, although you can zoom in on characters a bit. This has turned into a treat For me. I like the environment, story, and the voice acting, which is better than the original. Quests may require some online research to get your bearings initially.

My first primary critique is that you can blunder into it, or you have to research it a bit to understand game mechanics and on that I’m a bit confused. Any experts around?

863AA8B3-4817-45CB-A790-E434555D9614.jpeg

For example there are differing opinions around about what the most effective parties are in combat as far as physical vs magical damage, even going as far as claiming having a team all magic, and the same type of magic ( example: water) is better than having half a team dealing physical damage and the other half physical damage, because, if I understand it correctly, if what I am seeing in stats is that once you’ve eaten through the targets armor which is divided between magical and physical armor, stats, once one type of armor is gone, then receives that kind of an attack (no magical armor left and receives a magical attack for example), then the target starts losing health. Is this right?

But then I’m reading if I’m not confused, that if your team is magical, then it should all be the same type of magic for damage multiplier purposes.

Read about it here: https://fextralife.com/divinity-original-sin-2-party-combinations-guide-magic-physical-and-mixed/
If you scroll down on that page, for my first run through in this game, if you scroll down to: Hydromania – Frost Paladin, Tidalist, Magick Archer, Crystalline Cleric, I’m trying this party composition out.

Interesting enough, classes are not written in stone. They exist as a name with starting stats, but after that you can develop them anyway you want. And it can be confusing because it seems like the skill option list can morph depending on what the first skill you pick on the available list.

For example I was trying to develop stats for a Crystalline Cleric (note that name is not a recognized name in the game, someone just made it up based on a build someone created.

Here are the stats from the link:

B286E21C-FF2B-40F3-8D41-85EA08A7B034.jpeg

I was trying to duplicate this build and I noticed that on the chosen class for my character: cleric, that not all of the skills in the above list appeared for my cleric. So I chose a skill that did appear, and the list of skill options for my cleric changed to include all of the skill options as stated for the Christilline Cleric. Ok, this is confusing to me, and not intuitive at all.

It’s as if for any starter character, that its available skill list changes based on the first skill you add to the build, but what are the parameters? I have no clue.

Anyone familiar?
What do you think of this RPG?
Thanks! :)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I guess no one wants to talk About it. ;) I’ll change the Title accordingly and rely on the Steam Community for feedback. :D

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
It seems like a complex RPG with a lot of non-linear options.... very much a "sandbox" in terms of character choices.

My suggestion is that you simply create a Party that you like, and do an initial run of the game. Yes, you will realize the mistakes you made, as you learn the game. After you get the hang of things, you will 1) realize on your own what is a better party composition, and 2) you will be more eager to research strategy guides and tips online, and when you find them the tips will instantly make more sense to you (now that you understand the game mechanics).

It's been on my Mac to-buy list for some time (Mac App Store has had it). But I've been busy with other things, and other games to finish.

Reactions: Huntn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.