Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you buy Wi-Fi+Cellular versions of iPads or Wi-Fi Only?

• I only buy Wi-Fi Only iPads.

Votes: 291 49.2%
  • I only buy Wi-Fi+Cellular iPads.

Votes: 142 24.0%
  • One or more of my iPads have been Wi-Fi+Cellular. But I usually buy Wi-Fi Only.

Votes: 107 18.1%
  • One or more of my iPads have been Wi-Fi Only. But I usually buy Wi-Fi+Cellular.

Votes: 46 7.8%
  • My iPads were always given to me and/or I have never bought an iPad.

Votes: 5 0.8%

• Total voters

Silvestru Hosszu

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2016
Europe
Cellular only.
Before iPads, I used my phone as a mobile hotspot for laptops but it drained the battery in no time.
Due to my work I am using the iPad weekly as laptop replacement, I work with sensitive data so I avoid guest wifi whenever I can.
I would pay some serious money for a cellular enabled Mac.

Reactions: alecgold

okieoutwest

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2019
I have both but unfortunately the cellular service is on the ipad Mini which now has such a short battery life that i never take it out of the house. Yes, i could fix the battery issue, but i find myself reaching for the mini very little with an iPad Pro in the house too.

i use the iPad Pro as my primary work device out of the house and, since 2021 or 22, i have been traveling increasingly more. I think if i had been able to perfectly see the future, i only might have bought the iPP with cellular. Having stability within the U.S. to work remotely from anywhere (and not be competing with a public location's crowded wifi) is really valuable to me. But it's not clear that this would have been the easiest option...

The personal workaround instead has been to carry an extra battery and use it to keep my iPhone topped up while using it as a hotspot as well as use two SIMs - one on the T-Mobile network and one as an MVNO for Verizon. This ensures i have decent cell network access in most places. YMMV for what's the better cost vs. flexibility vs. EDC tradeoffs here, i think. If you travel internationally, only hassling with one data SIM seems preferable, too, so i think i prefer the battery + phone-as-hotspot alternative for now.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
I have both but unfortunately the cellular service is on the ipad Mini which now has such a short battery life that i never take it out of the house. Yes, i could fix the battery issue, but i find myself reaching for the mini very little with an iPad Pro in the house too.

i use the iPad Pro as my primary work device out of the house and, since 2021 or 22, i have been traveling increasingly more. I think if i had been able to perfectly see the future, i only might have bought the iPP with cellular. Having stability within the U.S. to work remotely from anywhere (and not be competing with a public location's crowded wifi) is really valuable to me. But it's not clear that this would have been the easiest option...

The personal workaround instead has been to carry an extra battery and use it to keep my iPhone topped up while using it as a hotspot as well as use two SIMs - one on the T-Mobile network and one as an MVNO for Verizon. This ensures i have decent cell network access in most places. YMMV for what's the better cost vs. flexibility vs. EDC tradeoffs here, i think. If you travel internationally, only hassling with one data SIM seems preferable, too, so i think i prefer the battery + phone-as-hotspot alternative for now.
11 or 12.9"?

MTShipp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
Raleigh, North Carolina
Every iPad I’ve owned (I always bought latest) has had Cell+WiFi. I plan to buy the next gen after tomorrow’s announcement. However, for the first time, I will plan on WiFi-only. The last 2 iPads (12.9 Pro M1 and 12.9 Pro M2) have rarely had their cell turned on. And it costs me $10/month for the privilege. So I will nnot be going cell on the next one.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I never buy cellular iPads. I always buy WiFi only and tether from my iPhone. I have unlimited data and unlimited tethering so I find that to be more cost effective. I also work from home so don’t even use it on commutes. Most of my usage is at home where I have unlimited WiFi.

Reactions: AVBeatMan

Velin

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
Cellular iPad only. It's so useful and convenient. Tethering sucks. Once you get a cellular iPad and are using it while traveling or in another country, you'll never go back.

Also, there are a lot more data players and plans in the market, especially MVNOs. You can find tons and tons of dirt-cheap data plans that last one day, one month, sixty days, yearly. I like the prepaid monthly plans. Just purchase a cheap prepaid monthly or sixty-day plan when traveling. If you travel all the time, get a yearly plan.

Even the unlimited plans can be pretty darn cheap too. And look for deals. They always are issuing unlimited deals to lock in for a year. US Mobile has some good plans, using Verizon network.

Because the MVNOs are using existing networks, do a little research, see what their coverage is, pick one that works. If you go daily or monthly, you can easily change plans on the fly to something that works, depending on your location.

Finally, you can save money this way if you're not stationary and need on-the-go data. Instead of having to burn data on your iPhone talk/text/data plan, save the data-heavy things you need to do for your data-only iPad plan. That's what we do, works beautifully.

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
Cellular iPad only. It's so useful and convenient. Tethering sucks. Once you get a cellular iPad and are using it while traveling or in another country, you'll never go back.

Also, there are a lot more data players and plans in the market, especially MVNOs. You can find tons and tons of dirt-cheap data plans that last one day, one month, sixty days, yearly. I like the prepaid monthly plans. Just purchase a cheap prepaid monthly or sixty-day plan when traveling. If you travel all the time, get a yearly plan.

Even the unlimited plans can be pretty darn cheap too. And look for deals. They always are issuing unlimited deals to lock in for a year.

Because the MVNOs are using existing networks, do a little research, see what their coverage is, pick one that works. If you go daily or monthly, you can easily change plans on the fly to something that works, depending on your location.

Finally, you can save money this way if you're not stationary and need on-the-go data. Instead of having to burn data on your iPhone talk/text/data plan, save the data-heavy things you need to do for your data-only iPad plan. That's what we do, works beautifully.
Exactly what I’d have said until they binned the sim slot :( Most MVNOs don’t have eSim.

Sadly, the Mini 6 was likely my last cellular version (unless 7 has the slot or I buy a refurb cellular Air 5 as one of the most powerful tablets produced with the physical slot.) Wouldn’t buy the 2022 Pro refurbed as I’d want OLED if I was going Pro.

Velin

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
Exactly what I’d have said until they binned the sim slot :( Most MVNOs don’t have eSim.

Sadly, the Mini 6 was likely my last cellular version (unless 7 has the slot or I buy a refurb cellular Air 5 as one of the most powerful tablets produced with the physical slot.) Wouldn’t buy the 2022 Pro refurbed as I’d want OLED if I was going Pro.
I understand what you are saying. I'll also say -- it's changing very rapidly.

Just one example, look at RedTeaGo -- it's working right now, beautifully, on my iPad Pro 11. Was able to eSim sign up right from the cellular data tab in the iPad, it took literally two minutes, half of which was picking a plan.

And many other players are moving to eSim, or are already there. US Mobile, Mint, Visible, and many others. Scores of them, I have trouble keeping track, frankly.

Though I understand this may not be your experience, or may not be available in your country where physical SIM still rule the data roost.

b17777

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2008
St.Paul MN
I'm upgrading my iPad 5 WiFi to a 11" Pro. I ordered cellular though I won't activate it right away, I will use this for a long time and wanted future proofing. I own a mini with cellular that I had activated during covid to use while I drove a truck to take the load off my phone for GPS, log book and other apps I needed.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013

In the US, a lot of MVNOs support eSIM.

I do understand this isn’t the case in a lot of other countries particularly ones where Android has dominant market share.

FlyingScot

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2008
South Florida
Have only purchased wifi+cellular since the days of ATT ”Lifetime” fixed data pricing (which was not lifetime). I travel, take it with me to work lunches, etc. Public WiFi sucks, is not secure and not always available. Cellular is, even when traveling internationally. So yeah, I could use my phone’s hotspot - but prefer the cellular and access I can get everywhere

super chimp

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2008
UK
WiFi only I used to have both on the first iPad I got, but I never used to carry my iPad outside and I always have WiFi at home so didn’t see the point of shelling out the extra for both on the original Air when I got it.

meDANOcine

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2014
I’m on call 24/7 - a cellular iPad means I can have access to anything I would need without carrying around a laptop. The mental freedom is absolutely worth it in my case.

wba1990

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2015
Birmingham, England
Currently got WiFi only iPad Pro 2017

Been waiting for the new ones to drop and have been debating having cellular as I'll be using it at work, and don't want to rely on their WiFi. Annoyingly was hoping to join EE, however you can only join them if you have an existing mobile contract

Now back to being torn between WiFi only or going with a different carrier

geta

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2010
The Moon
Now that they changed to eSim instead of physical SIM with the new iPad Pro and Air, and probably the next iPad Mini will be the same, when traveling abroad it will be more of a hassle to get/change to local SIMs.

Velin

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
Now that they changed to eSim instead of physical SIM with the new iPad Pro and Air, and probably the next iPad Mini will be the same, when traveling abroad it will be more of a hassle to get/change to local SIMs.
Won’t each country have at least a couple eSIM carriers?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Won’t each country have at least a couple eSIM carriers?

Not always. It's still in the adoption/transition period. Also, carriers may support eSIM on postpaid but they might not have it for prepaid.

Another thing, going eSIM only can be problematic in countries where SIM registration is required. When I went to the Philippines, I would activate and register SIM cards on an iPhone SE first (so I can receive SMS OTP) then switch the SIM to iPad after it's been registered. I can still do this with Smart but not with Globe.

Reactions: geta
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.