Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mectojic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 27, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Just curious if Early Intel Macs suffer from Pram leaks, like the risks known about earlier 68k/PPC.

Was considering buying a sealed Intel Mac Mini and wondered whether it's a risk.

rampancy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Just curious if Early Intel Macs suffer from Pram leaks, like the risks known about earlier 68k/PPC.

Was considering buying a sealed Intel Mac Mini and wondered whether it's a risk.

As salamanderjuice mentions, it is possible with a coin cell battery, but not super likely. I wouldn't worry too much about it. For me, the main issue would be having to take apart the Mac to replace the battery when/if it dies.

Reactions: mectojic

ToniCH

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2020
I have not seen a coin cell leak, yet. But, I do change them every time I open a new to me vintage computer and find one with unknown age. Mostly because the computer at hand might be annoyingly involved to open and/or access to the battery needs lots of work (like some iMacs have the battery at the back side of the logic board) - so while I am in there I always swap a new one in.

And I do pay attention whether its a BR or CR -cell as they are different. Like the BR2032 is meant for hot environment like an iMac and more easily available CR2032 is general use like your car fob. IRL the CR can have much shorter life in hot computer internals. Price difference between them is not much but usually the BR's needs to be ordered online and CR's are sold at your grocery store.

Attachments

• BR vs CR Lithium batteries.jpeg
    BR vs CR Lithium batteries.jpeg
    209.2 KB · Views: 20
Reactions: philgxxd
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.