Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RegisK

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2014
On 12.4 and I always get dings. I don't even know what app is sending them, since (as other people mentioned), banners do go away. Then, I need to quit (or force quit, because I'm on an important call and can't be checking one app at a time) any and all apps that might send a notification. Even more frustrating is that there's no history of notifications (that I know of, so I can't find out what app was sending those annoying dings and mute notifications from them). So, the problem still very much happens on Monterey. Hopefully, @adrianlondon is right and Mac OS 13 will have the issue resolved. Unfortunately, I can't run off a preview release.

5ulo

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2020
MacOS Ventura 13.0 was released.. the problem was not fixed. Shame..

StageS4

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2022
Wow I just found this tread. It 2AM here and I’ve been trying to figure out why I woke up every night since a few weeks about that time. Just realized that it fits with a new project I start working on with someone on a different time zone that start sending me questions on Microsoft Team around that time and my Mac rings me those notification even in sleep focus mode. What a shame this is still an issue with Ventura release… 🤯

bsmr

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 4, 2005
Germany
Yes. Still broken. It's so annoying. Within every call/meeting the Mac is beeping all the time. 😡

mat1696

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2021
Please continue sending feedbacks to Apple and contact Apple support. If enough persons complain, they'll eventually do something... That's the Apple of Tim Cook: everything is done for profit, they won't spend time fixing bugs unless it's necessary for the brand image...

Reactions: bsmr

bsmr

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 4, 2005
Germany
I think it must come into the headlines of some mac-specific blogs and websites. If not, nothing will happen! That's the point.

5ulo

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2020
Fully agree with @bsmr . Apple answered me with the universal answer - try safe mode, try restart, try this and that.. unless some really big tech-site writes about that bug, nothing will change. I asked some friends with m1 macs and their asnwer was also apple typical - just close the chat app, close email, download this (paid) util... think different. Mindblowing.

Reactions: bsmr and saltukkos

MrHatken

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2008
Yes, same problem for me (still on Monterey).

I can't believe Apple allows notifications to be read out when the Mac is in Do Not Disturb mode and nothing is allowed in configuration. How can they not be aware of this?

It is, frankly, embarrassing for me and Apple, when in a video conference that macOS starts reading out notifications and no easy way to stop it. Turning off sound is not possible.

Really poor, Apple!

Reactions: bsmr

P4sca1

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2023
I spent hours in the settings and on the internet to find a solution to this, until I finally found this thread.
Notifications correctly get hidden during focus mode, but the sound still plays (Ventura 13.2). This is so disturbing!
I submitted a feedback request to Apple. Can't believe this issue exists since 2021 without a fix.

Reactions: deeppurple114

dndnotworkingmacos2years

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2023
I didn't think mac os was that bad. Given the date the topic was created, the problem is about two years old, in honor of that I registered at macrumors with the same username.
I have this problem on Mac OS bigsur 11.7.4 and it seems to have been noticed when I upgraded from some version of BigSur, I think that is, version <11.7.4 may be less

macbook air 2020 m1, but I don't think it's because of the hardware

kkclstuff

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2015
NYC
Im still having the same issue with "Work Focus" (set to DND using Zoom, FaceTime, Logic Pro apps) in Ventura 13.5.1 with MacStudio/iPhone Pro/iPadPro.

Ive noticed if in Zoom call and I navigate to another app (say the Finder) putting Zoom in the background DND turns OFF, once I bring Zoom to the front again DND turns back ON. This use-case was either overlooked or just a poorly implemented design. If you want your "Work Focus" to be while using certain Apps, it should stay on until you quit that app. Or AT THE VERY LEAST, give us a user preference setting (•until background or •until quit) to set it as we need it. Otherwise, this is useless.

Im hoping for a fix to this, but not holding my breath

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
I wasn’t getting mail dings in Sleep mode on my 2020 M1 Macbook Air until after I upgraded to Sonoma. In Big Sur through Ventura it worked as expected. Now I’m getting mail dings even though my Mac is in sleep mode.

kkclstuff

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2015
NYC
Focus settings in Sonoma 14.0 STILL turns off when 'selected' app isnt in foreground (moved to background)! How is this a 'work focus' solution?? PLEASE  give us an option already!

Last edited:

goodLuckWithYourUSBhub

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2022
**** OS from a **** company.

I'm having the opposite issue, DND/Focus won't turn off. I only have one Apple device, so nothing is being shared. I get no notifications.

These longstanding issues are so unbelievably frustrating, I can't believe how many thousands of dollars I've paid for the privilege of this frustration. It's ****ing garbage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.