Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
I ask this feature for years so I'm glad more and more people starting to make pressure to tell Apple wee need this. Its a basic feature that every computer have since Windows XP for what I remember (and probably below that). There's multiple time when I listen radio over the internet and while I browse the web there's some videos I just want to quick watch them, but with this stupid restriction, I can't do that without having to restart the music or radio app each time. So because of that, every time I want to do this I simply go to my mac so good job Apple telling me the iPad is a potential computer replacement if it can't do a simple task that I thought it was a standard task since forever.

And for the guy who posted the Reddit link saying it is in ipadOS 15, for what I tested in my Air 3, it don't work at all so its a bug for sure.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 25, 2016
Apparently some people find it difficult to pause the audio from Control Center, like how it functions on Mac.

Some people just don’t have the competence to know where the playback is coming from, even tho like 90% of apps stop playing audio when you leave the app, especially if it’s video.

And what, you can’t figure it out if it’s a YouTube video, music, or podcast playing in the background? It’s not like most apps support more than one window anyway.

In Fact, it may be too difficult to figure out which recent app (I just left from) is playing audio from. Gosh, it would be so nice to see where all sources are playing from, cough cough control Center.

I guess it’s absolutely important that my music be paused, just so I can watch a video—that only has very quiet lo-fi background music—just to be able to see a meme or 1-minute tutorial video. It’s very hard to focus otherwise.

could you imagine: My music playback overlapping a slow-motion video of a popcorn seed popping would be too absurd, I need my music paused so I can hear absolutely nothing, but the slowed down pitch of the popcorn making noise.

With all these audio playback restrictions on iOS, I guess it’s not a big deal when audio stops when I leave the app or check notifications, or when I quickly toggle a setting in Control Center, or when I talk to Siri.

Because if Audio did continue to play when I left the app, it would be WAY TOO difficult to just swipe back to the app and pause the audio, or go to control center to pause the audio, or just quit the app in app switcher. Yes, iOS NEEDS to interrupt whatever I’m currently playing.

And I praise it even more when that playback DOESN’T resume after playing a different media either on PURPOSE or when I ACCIDENTALLY CLICKED ON IT.

I guess I should just sit thru a whole video ad while doing absolutely nothing while I wait because it can’t play in the background. Instead of quickly doing other small tasks, like responding to texts while a video ad plays in the background.

I guess we can never get the fundamental features, because no one can handle the basics… LEARNING is too difficult, even more so than the even more convoluted iPad multitasking features. Learning Keyboard shortcuts is easier than using playback controls.

We’ve never experienced multiple audio sources in our lives at all, because no one uses a Mac or computer even once. Gosh, if two audio played at once or stopped when I switched apps, I wouldn’t know what to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: TennesseeWhiskey
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.