Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I had to laugh when I saw this Top 10 Windows Downloads list from CNET.

The top 10 consist of:
4 apps to deal with spyware

1 app to fix problems in the Windows registry (problems caused by spyware?)

3 apps to share files on the Internet (files such as spyware?)

1 app to package files (so you can share them on the Internet?)

1 app to chat with people about dealing with spyware, fixing the registry, and sharing files​
If PC users spend all their time defending and fixing their PCs, then who is actually producing anything useful?

My guess? Mac users!

Has anybody measured what percentage of the time PC users are creating anything of value (real work) rather than spending their hours fixing problems or dealing with software maintenance, crashes, and other efforts it takes to keep the computer in a state where, in theory, they might be able to do some real work?

Do those numbers differ for Mac users, as some of us would like to assume?

dylan

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2005
mad jew said:
...But the Mac users spend hours chatting through online forums, mainly about the inefficiencies of the PC world.

Hahaha. Sure beats baby-sitting windows though.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
mad jew said:
...But the Mac users spend hours chatting through online forums, mainly about the inefficiencies of the PC world.
I would have been doing something productive, but I had to reply to your comment.

If I do find any stats about this, I'll post them here. In the meantime, we can speculate that we Mac users spend our time more productively and perhaps we waste our time more productively too.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
mad jew said:

But it beats a PeeCee user's routine. Mac users are so productive that we get our work done in no time, so we simply spend the rest of the day online chatting. ;) :) :)

Doctor Q said:
In the meantime, we can speculate that we Mac users spend our time more productively and perhaps we waste our time more productively too.

Absolutely! :D

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Doctor Q said:
I had to laugh when I saw this Top 10 Windows Downloads list from CNET.

The top 10 consist of:
4 apps to deal with spyware

1 app to fix problems in the Windows registry (problems caused by spyware?)

3 apps to share files on the Internet (files such as spyware?)

1 app to package files (so you can share them on the Internet?)

1 app to chat with people about dealing with spyware, fixing the registry, and sharing files​
If PC users spend all their time defending and fixing their PCs, then who is actually producing anything useful?

My guess? Mac users!

Has anybody measured what percentage of the time PC users are creating anything of value (real work) rather than spending their hours fixing problems or dealing with software maintenance, crashes, and other efforts it takes to keep the computer in a state where, in theory, they might be able to do some real work?

Do those numbers differ for Mac users, as some of us would like to assume?
Typical PC User:

- I have this problem with my PC...

Typical Mac User:

- I was on my Mac creating this real cool...

It does make one wonder how PC users get anything done. Their conversations seemed to be focused on fixing or keeping their computer working.

...somtimes I almost feel guilty of using a Mac since it is so easy! ;)

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Doctor Q said:
I would have been doing something productive, but I had to reply to your comment.

Nice. :D

Doctor Q said:
If I do find any stats about this, I'll post them here. In the meantime, we can speculate that we Mac users spend our time more productively and perhaps we waste our time more productively too.

There's nothing better than efficient time wasting according to 97% of all mad jews.

Felldownthewell

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2006
Portland
mad jew said:
Yes, but PC users spend hours chatting to some guy in Bangalor named Bob Smith from Bhubaneshwar...our way of time wasting is so much cooler, if not as profitable for the 3rd world...

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
Macmaniac said:
I work in a Mac repair shop so I get so see nothing but busted Macs. You would be amazed how annoying installing Tiger is after the 50th time.

Are you implying that installing Mac OS for the 50th time is more annoying than installing Windows on a PC for the 1st time? ;) :)

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Heh... on VersionTracker, what they claim are the top 5s:

Windows:
Error Nuker (registry repair)
Spyware Nuker XT
Norton Ghost (for cloned backups... costs a lot more than Carbon Copy Cloner)
Microsoft Publisher (acutal productivity!)
NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 (old graphics card drivers?)

OSX:
Toast Titanium
HandBrake
BitTorrent
Flip4Mac WMV (hah... beat WMP so badly MS gave up and used it instead)
TehTool Pro (oops, that one's for troubleshooting)

OS9:
HexEdit
Amadaeus II
DSP-Quattro
Nikon Capture
Linksys Wireless Drivers

(though it's worth noting that all of these also run under OSX--not sure if that factors in to their counts)

Based on this limited sample, it would seem that Windows users spend most of their time fixing Windows and the rest working or playing games, Mac users spend most of their time either downloading or ripping movies, burning them, or watching them (thought Windows users were supposed to be the P2P nuts), and OS9 users spend their time doing productive things.

(In a way, that last one makes sense because the only people still on 9 who are at all computer savvy are pros who don't want to change their workflow.)

Also, I'd like to go on record: Between work and freelance tech support, I've installed Windows XP and Tiger at least a half dozen times each, and I can say conclusively that installing or upgrading to Tiger and getting it set up is drastically easier, and takes a fraction of the time of XP. Of course, that means I get paid more for the XP installs (mostly just watching progress bars anyway), so I can't complain, but I'll take 50 10.4 installs over 50 XP installs any day.

SC68Cal

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
It keeps me paid though. As long as people are not computer-literate, I'm still in a job.

My only wish is that we used Linux or Apple computers, just because I only would have to set the machine up ONCE, and never have to worry about any security issues or computer crashes, and all the other headaches that Windows entails. Also, remote desktop would be AWESOME and having a Powermac G5 to run it with would be super awesome.

Windows as a platform is just a compromise. Everyone is too afraid to take the leap off the sinking ship and swim to another ship. Nobody realizes that OpenOffice and StarOffice and the other productivity suites open and use Microsoft Office files, and you don't need to pay $400 per license. It's sad.

SC68Cal

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
Macmaniac said:
I work in a Mac repair shop so I get so see nothing but busted Macs. You would be amazed how annoying installing Tiger is after the 50th time.

I just pop the disk in, let it install, and I go grab a soda. I don't see what's so bad about that.

ecche

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2003
a very kiwi place
Macmaniac said:
That's interesting!
Could you give us a breakdown of which problems you deal with most? I am sure we are all aware of the individual machine' s problems, but of course it would be interesting to hear which problems you often encounter in your daily work.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Well, I don't work in a shop so I can't give as statistically meaningful a breakdown, but I do support for one small business, a small non-profit, a slightly bigger university lab (my day job), a couple of home offices, and probably a half dozen friends and home users from time to time.

Cumulatively, it works out to about 20 Macs (including one XServe) I see on a regular basis, and about 15 Wintel boxes (including one Windows 2003 Server), plus maybe another dozen or so Macs and a couple Dell laptops and a Dell desktop that I see from time to time when there's a problem. (Amusingly, those Dells are so unreliable that folks who owned them all ended up buying Macs for their next computers--statistically, the most effective way to get someone to switch to the Mac for me has been to let them buy an inexpensive Dell and use it for a while.)

Based on this small sample, the most common non-tech-savy problem Mac users run into is lack of basic housekeeping. For example, someone will go for weeks without ever sleeping a Mac that only has 256MB of RAM and not understand why it's slow, or have Word open with 20 documents, Mail with a couple dozen messages open, and something like 500 (I'm not exaggerating) files saved directly to the desktop, then go for weeks without restarting and complain that the thing is acting up (sorry, but a G4 iMac just doesn't like to have that many windows open onscreen at once). And, of course, not

Next most common problem is just asking too much of an old computer--wanting to run the full CS suite on a G4-400 with 300MB of RAM or such.

Number 3 is when there's a major power glitch and the PMU gets screwed-up--seen that happen several times, though it always seems like a miracle to folks when I "resurrect" their dead computers.

Last would be drive failures, but this is true for all computers I work on. They just go sometimes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.