Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cjsuk

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2024
I'm on my third aluminium watch (SE -> S7 -> S9) and mine always look as good as new after a couple of years. Not sure what everyone is doing to theirs!

However I just inherited an S7 alu which is scratched to bits.

Reactions: Howard2k

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
I'm on my third aluminium watch (SE -> S7 -> S9) and mine always look as good as new after a couple of years. Not sure what everyone is doing to theirs!

However I just inherited an S7 alu which is scratched to bits.

I was always able to keep mine in good shape too. I'm sure there's a luck aspect, but there's certainly a "take care of your stuff" aspect to it too.

But using an Ultra now so not a concern.

Reactions: cjsuk

mikelets456

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2022
Bucks County, PA
I cracked my AW SE a few years back then got an AW7 and cracked that screen as well. The screen protector makes it almost impossible to see the crack. However, I’m amazed how easy these screens crack—-never happened on my Samsung watches.

To answer your question, yes it bothers me to know there’s a crack and some dings on the bezel.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I have a few dings on my Series 5 Aluminium and a deep scratch on the face. No it doesn't bother me in the slightest as this is a throw away smartwatch, not an investment piece.

The aluminium watch has held up very well over the past four and half years and i have not taken any particular measures to prevent damage, I've just worn it and enjoyed it. Life is too short to worry about scratches on fast depreciating, short lived gadgets. Just wear and enjoy it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Velin

Velin

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
Yeah, this was my first premium watch so I was surprised by just how much more durable the sapphire glass or titanium would be. Luckily the scratches on the aluminum watch didn't bother me very much, but I think I will be sticking with the sapphire screens
You know, Apple really should bring the sapphire crystal to the base aluminum model. The wholesale cost to a big purchaser would raise the base price only minimally.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
You know, Apple really should bring the sapphire crystal to the base aluminum model. The wholesale cost to a big purchaser would raise the base price only minimally.

It’s not a decision based on cost. Would be nice though.

bassjunky

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
Texas
I'm new to the Apple Watch world, having recently upgraded my wife's S5 for an S9. Using her S5 for a few days just to try, I realized this is pretty cool, bought myself an S9 aluminum and gave the S5 to my daughter.

I bought a cheap 8 pack of screen protectors for our watches, they went on great, no bubbles at all, and it's nearly as smooth as the glass. The other options for screen protection seemed to only be large cases for the watch.

I don't know how well these cheap screen protectors work, but feel it's better than nothing.

Reactions: toughkitty5

Pecka

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2022
I have micro scratches on the screen on my S6, doesn't bother me at all.

Last edited:

Tdude96

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2021
This was my Series 4 after 3 years of continuous wear. That gouge out of the middle of the screen bothered me, even though it wasn't very visible when the screen was on. My Series 7 has micro scratches, but nothing bothersome or significant. My Ultra 2 is absolutely pristine still, and I've been positively careless with it. Just yesterday I knocked it hard into a door handle (same way my S4 picked up its big scratch) and the crystal is still flawless.

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
I’m on my second watch - I got my original in 2015 on launch day, wore that for about four years before getting a Series 4 in 2019. I’ve been wearing it every day for the past five years now, and it’s help up surprisingly well! I’m a tech teacher so it gets beat up and whacked into things regularly, and it has its fair share of dings and scratches on the screen, but nothing that impacts using it.

What really amazes me is the band - that’s the same band I bought for my original watch back in 2015, been worn daily for just over nine years now, and still looks decent and functions perfectly! I remember thinking I was stupid for paying $50 for a piece of rubber but goodness, I’ve certainly been getting my moneys worth out of it!

IMG_5886.jpeg
IMG_5885.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5885.jpeg
    IMG_5885.jpeg
    347.7 KB · Views: 14
Reactions: BillGates1969

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
I'm not obsessive about it; I do like to put a cover over it when at the gym just to prevent scratches or bashes. Other than that, I see it as a limited-life device, and a replacement will be purchased two or three years down the road. However, I have just purchased a new AWU2 so trying to take a bit more care of this one due to the price of it and I will likely want a decent return on Ebay when the time comes.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I have some scuffing on my stainless, which I never noticed on any of the aluminum watches I had because of the finish on them, but nothing on my screen. I don’t think I’ve ever gotten scratches on any of my screens.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I love this topic. Bear in mind that I wasn't a watch guy before the Apple Watch.

I had two Stainless Steel watches, the S5 and S6, and when I discovered scratches and dings on those, I was devastated. My beautiful, pristine watch was now ruined! I found that you could polish them out on the SS models, so I did that, but after some more reading on the internet, I found that scratches on ALL watches of all prices and levels of prestige are normal and that's just how it goes. It helped me relax a lot and let it go.

I still have my SS S6, but I also have an Ultra 2, and some bright light this weekend revealed that I have some scratches on the bezel around the screen, but none still on the screen and the rest of the body. It bugged me at first, but then I just let it go. It's a watch, it's not priceless art. You wear it, it's gonna get dinged.

Reactions: BillGates1969

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
My Ultra 2 still looks like the day I bought it. I have banged it into several surfaces and still can not detect any damage. Just relax and enjoy your watch. Anything a human wears will take some wear.

chadamorrill

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
Orlando, FL
I went to Africa this past fall to build a pedestrian bridge, and my Ultra 1 wore a heavy duty Spigen band + case. Dust and dirt got trapped in between, and caused some scratches around both band connection points. Figure they will always be a good reminder of that trip and the work we did for those people and their community. Totally fine with that!

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Microscratches and such happen, even being very careful. It’s going to occur - it’s warn on your arm which is constantly in motion (not to mention all the wear on the back of the metal band where it rubs on my desk). Doesn’t bother me too much. I’ve warm watches for decades, both cheap and expensive. Happens. It’s just a watch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.