Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmt43

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2023
Hi. I am new to Mac, lifelong Windows user. So I am new to Macrumors too! I am having trouble posting ; ) I need a tutorial or help with basics on posting. For example, when I click reply to a post, it automatically copies the quote. If spend time thinking about what I want to say, it automatically posts without me clicking “Post Thread.” This has happened twice and I didn’t know how to delete the quote or cancel, so I posted nothing but the previous quote! Duh! I see the icons on the top of my post but once I start writing, how can I cancel or delete? Do you have a post outlining the basics of how to use the forums ? thank you! Donna

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

Here is a FAQ that should help you out.

Let me know here if you have any other questions and we'll get you fixed up.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
First, I'm not aware of any forum feature that will automatically post a reply after some time interval. Maybe there's something about your particular setup that's unintentionally clicking "Post reply". You'll need to provide details like: device (Mac, phone, iPad), OS version, browser (Safari, Firefox, etc.), and the input devices you're using (trackpad, keyboard, mouse, etc.).

Second, there should always be a button below any post you've made that says "Edit". It should be right next to the "Report" button. You can click "Edit" and edit your post. Alternatively, you can click "Report" on any post you've made and ask for it to be deleted.

If you discover you've somehow made two adjacent posts that should be merged, click "Report" and ask us to merge them.

You can test the "Edit" button behavior in this thread. Reply to this post and intentionally click "Post reply" immediately. Confirm the "Edit" button appears, then click it to resume editing.

I've occasionally brushed my palm very lightly against the trackpad of my MacBook Pro and had it register as a tap. If the cursor is positioned over a button, it activated the button. When I'm thinking about what to write, I've learned the habit of lifting my wrists while idle, or completely removing hands from keyboard. The palm-brushes seem to happen more in the winter when the air is dry, or maybe its my skin that's drier.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scepticalscribe

dmt43

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2023
First, I'm not aware of any forum feature that will automatically post a reply after some time interval. Maybe there's something about your particular setup that's unintentionally clicking "Post reply". You'll need to provide details like: device (Mac, phone, iPad), OS version, browser (Safari, Firefox, etc.), and the input devices you're using (trackpad, keyboard, mouse, etc.).
I don’t know how it happened, it just seemed to post without any action on my part…. I am using the Ipad Pro. So, as a test, I wrote this reply and stepped away for a few minutes. When I came back it was still unposted!! ; )
I will take your advice on hand position to avoid brushing against keys accidentally.

I have used the ”edit“ button. I did not know about ”Report” Or ”Merge” thanks! Donna

And after I posted, I clicked edit. I see the REPORT button. I think I’m all set for now. thanks this really helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.