Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
Just switched to modular compact, and immediately had to change the clock to analogue.

Just seems more aesthetically pleasing to the eye, to me.

How about you?

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
It depends. I have an automation that switches between Modular Ultra during the workday and then Solar Analog during evenings and weekends. I find analog looks nicer, generally, but during the workday I like to have more information easily accessible.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
analog for me, tried a few digital ones over the years but never lasted longer than a couple days ... I often glance at the watch for the time and it is easier for me to read analog vs digital

Dc2006ster

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2011
Alberta, Canada
I am retired and have little need for data other than date and temperature . I prefer analogue with a couple of complications for the look and readability. I use mainly use Solar Analog but have an automation to switch between it and Palette (with Stocard and Workout complications) when I go to and leave the gym, and also Snoopy just for the sheer whimsy of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: arc of the universe

arc of the universe

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2023
I am retired and have little need for data other than date and temperature . I prefer analogue with a couple of complications for the look and readability. I use mainly use Solar Analog but have an automation to switch between it and Palette (with Stocard and Workout complications) when I go to and leave the gym, and also Snoopy just for the sheer whimsy of it.
i also use Solar as my main watch face.
but not the analog face Solar. i use the Solar digital one.

beautiful and interesting.
a perfect combination that gives the precise time but gives the related solar activity in an analog way.

the watch face i use during long (non-workout) walks and jogs is the Activity one with both the circles and the numbers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dc2006ster

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
D-I-G-I-T-A-L and it drives me bonkers because there are so many more analog faces. We get drip fed watch faces each year and the majority are going to be analog.

DGGoingUphill

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2015
Would love digital, but as a lefty (wear watch on right wrist), the available watch faces don't work. The issue is that the time is on the right side of the dial and you can't change it, so it requires a major sleeve tug every time I want to see the time.

dasjati

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2020
Always analog. I like the look so much better. My main one right now is a minimal California on grey background with date and temperature as complications. Everything else I find in the widgets. My other favorite is Solar Analog in dark with color Sunshine. Looks amazing I think, because it combines a classic look with a modern take. And Snoopy of course! But that one’s to distracting during work hours. I know it’s silly, but it’s so well done and just makes me smile.

arc of the universe

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2023
Would love digital, but as a lefty (wear watch on right wrist), the available watch faces don't work. The issue is that the time is on the right side of the dial and you can't change it, so it requires a major sleeve tug every time I want to see the time.
i never figured that this problem would occur.

being right handed, wearing my watch on my left wrist, i was still always impressed that in the settings apple gave handedness as well as orientation (which side you want the crown to be on) would cover all kinds of situations you are referring about.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Does the same problem not exist for analogue? Whole face needs to be revealed?

fran24

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2022
I prefer analog. Sometimes I use digital watch faces but always go back to analog

jb310

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2017
Analog looks nicer, but I personally think digital watch faces are more practical and faster to look at.

Bichon

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2019
I enjoy both. Though not as a hard and fast rule, I tend to use the analog watch faces for business and dress wear, and the digital watch faces for more casual occasions or when exercising.

Reactions: cubodado

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Furthermore, I believe we need more customisation.
100% agree. It's insane that I can't get a watch face that looks like modular ultra on my regular Apple Watch.

1715611984219.png

cubodado

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2022
Torino
Mainly analog, it’s not a fixed rule. But I want numbers or at least tags, otherwise I find it hard to read time.

Lately mainly Snoopy, just change the background colour, surprise Sunday on Sundays, depends on mood on other weekdays.

MacMan2013

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2023
Digital. I use the screen that has the time at the top, the weather in the corner, and the activity goals in the center.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.