Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Does the iOS navigation require data plan or are the maps installed locally like a standalone GPS?

xAnthony

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
Requires data for the most part.

You can pre-load map data, and so I'm assuming if you do that... It should work without data?

nyfliiboy

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
I believe it just goes off the gps so data isn't require. For example you can have no service but still be able to use the gps. Searching for things will require data though such as coffee shops, food, ect..

xAnthony

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
I believe it just goes off the gps so data isn't require. For example you can have no service but still be able to use the gps. Searching for things will require data though such as coffee shops, food, ect..

The GPS doesn't require data, but to load the maps it does. So unless you pre-load the maps, it would use data.

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
So does it allow you to download the whole map for US once, or do you have to pre-load the map for every trip separately?

xAnthony

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
So does it allow you to download the whole map for US once, or do you have to pre-load the map for every trip separately?

Right now you're not allowed to download anything, you have to open the maps app and pre-load your route/destination (using wifi) in order for the maps to work without using data.

I wonder if Apple would allow to actually download maps so that you don't have to use your data at all... That will be interesting. But you would need a phone with a good amount of storage as map files tend to be pretty big in size.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.