Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EugW

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 18, 2017
See this video:

He says his old one didn't rock at all because the metal hinge bar sits flush with the table, but the 2024 M4 model Magic Keyboard rocks when tapping the screen because metal hinge bar sits above the table.

I believe he has the 13" which is a 4:3 / 1.33:1 aspect ratio. I wonder if it's the same with the 11" since it is shorter, with a 10:7 / 1.45:1 aspect ratio.

Also, one low budget solution might just be to put short rubber bumpers on the bottom of the metal hinge bar so it has contact with the table to prevent the wobble.

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
Interesting, I haven’t noticed but then again I don’t touch the iPad while on the MKB cause my brain treats it like a laptop. I could see that being annoying though if you do both.

Edit: I’ve been tapping on my 13”+MKB on my desk in all different angles and can’t reproduce the YT video. I’ve even tried to tap it super hard and can’t really get it to fall over. Interesting but for how I would tap it the thing is pretty rock solid.

Last edited:

EugW

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 18, 2017
Interesting, I haven’t noticed but then again I don’t touch the iPad while on the MKB cause my brain treats it like a laptop. I could see that being annoying though if you do both.
I don't know if it's just his, or if it's just the 13" model, or if the 11" does it too. I did notice that it seemed a bit wobbly in some of the first-look videos when it first was announced, so I am thinking it is a legit issue, because I don't recall seeing that for the first gen Magic Keyboard.

However, as mentioned, probably a thin adhesive bumper or something like that on the bottom may solve the problem. You can get 1 mm thick adhesive bumpers online for cheap. And who knows, maybe someone in china will create a custom bumper for it.

That's actually kind of a bummer. I'm not sure it would stop me from buying it, but it's definitely suboptimal.
I'll still likely buy it, but the 11". We'll see how that goes. I won't be buying until June though (education promotion).

macmus12

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2022
i think the biggest problem is that on the lap on sofa it really wants to fall. I think keyboard part is too light vs the ipad.
If you add case on ipad like pitaka it will become even worse.
I’m not sure how this can be prevented, but it almost fall from my lap already few times, including once from the edge of my couch and i though i broke the screen.

Seriously get apple care for this.

Reactions: EugW

EugW

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 18, 2017
i think the biggest problem is that on the lap on sofa it really wants to fall. I think keyboard part is too light vs the ipad.
If you add case on ipad like pitaka it will become even worse.
I’m not sure how this can be prevented, but it almost fall from my lap already few times, including once from the edge of my couch and i though i broke the screen.

Seriously get apple care for this.
Which size did you get? I still wonder if it's a design issue, or a hit and miss thing, and if it's more with one size (13") vs. the other. Anyhow, hopefully I can get to an Apple Store in the next few days, to check them out in person.

I saw the M4 MK today, I have the first gen and really prefer the enclosed hinge, the new one looks so odd, is it just me?
I prefer the bare metal hinge look myself, at least from the pictures, but I'm sure it's half-and-half for personal preference out there.

gigapocket1

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2009
Not even going to watch this video as I don’t want to start seeing a problem that I don’t notice.. Been rocking my 13” with mk and I’m loving it.
This is from a guy that had a 12” (I believe it was 12 inch. Whatever the biggest size was)2018 with Magic Keyboard.
Last gen 11” with Magic Keyboard.
And now this one… This is by far the best personally.. Loving the trackpad as well

macmus12

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2022
I don't know if it's just his, or if it's just the 13" model, or if the 11" does it too. I did notice that it seemed a bit wobbly in some of the first-look videos when it first was announced, so I am thinking it is a legit issue, because I don't recall seeing that for the first gen Magic Keyboard.

However, as mentioned, probably a thin adhesive bumper or something like that on the bottom may solve the problem. You can get 1 mm thick adhesive bumpers online for cheap. And who knows, maybe someone in china will create a custom bumper for it.

I'll still likely buy it, but the 11". We'll see how that goes. I won't be buying until June though (education promotion).
lol link ?

i see apple selling those, this wobble is atrocious.

EugW

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 18, 2017

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
I have the 13 M4 iPP and Magic Keyboard. This thing is rock solid with no wobble at all. That hinge in the back is more square shaped than round like the previous MKB and it sits squarely on the surface that you’re using it on so there’s no back rocking. i use a flat topped lap desk and the elevated desk can rock but not the keyboard. Even sitting on my lap itself the keyboard does not wobble. I think because of the lighter weight of the ipad than before, and the heavier, larger base, some kind of aluminum, this one may even be more stable than the previous MKBs. I also have the 2020 version MKB and this one is a significant improvement even though I love the 2020 one and had no issues with it. I had hoped it would be compatible with the new M4.

Reactions: EugW

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I have the 13 M4 iPP and Magic Keyboard. This thing is rock solid with no wobble at all. That hinge in the back is more square shaped than round like the previous MKB and it sits squarely on the surface that you’re using it on so there’s no back rocking. i use a flat topped lap desk and the elevated desk can rock but not the keyboard. Even sitting on my lap itself the keyboard does not wobble. I think because of the lighter weight of the ipad than before, and the heavier, larger base, some kind of aluminum, this one may even be more stable than the previous MKBs. I also have the 2020 version MKB and this one is a significant improvement even though I love the 2020 one and had no issues with it. I had hoped it would be compatible with the new M4.
Wait, so are you saying this video is incorrect? That would be good if so.

EugW

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 18, 2017
Nice to hear. Here's hoping the problem illustrated in the video is just a problem with his particular unit.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
Wait, so are you saying this video is incorrect? That would be good if so.
There are a couple factors at play here. He is correct in that the hinge may not rest on the surface that he has placed it on; I checked several areas in my home and on some it did not touch the surface, on others it did. So that’s going to be an individual issue. The reason the old one laid flat on most surfaces is that the exterior material of the case wrapped around the hinge where as on the new one the hinge is is exposed so it does not have that extra material to act as additional support. There had been some complaints that the portion that wrapped the hinge had frayed badly over time. I did not have that problem with my 2020 MKB. And some may prefer the aesthetics of the bare, exposed hinge. He is quite correct about the shortened length of the hinge being a problem because when I use that port to charge my ipad it is difficult to pull the cable away from it in the morning when I go to use it. It makes it more difficult to get a grip on it and I wind up pulling on the cable rather than on the connector. That could result, overtime, in cable separation.

As far as rocking, again will be dependent on the actual surface you have it resting on, and how far back you have the screen tilted; I, and I suspect most, don’t go vigorously tapping on the upper part of the screen that could cause some rocking to occur. I think that’s why most buy this particular keyboard, to be able use the trackpad and keys for most functions. I, myself, don’t use the track pad that much, but I really like the backlit keyboard. But I think this rocking is more of an effort to go looking for an issue and a way to cause it than an actual functional problem for most. I suspect to make the whole combo lighter some compromises were necessary. I don’t think this was a bad trade off.

Reactions: u2u2

RedlegsFan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Some people are really reaching… looking for issues. I have the 13 in, with MKB.. and it’s a wonderful experience. On my lap, in bed, etc etc.

Reactions: KPOM and papbot

EugW

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 18, 2017
Some people are really reaching… looking for issues. I have the 13 in, with MKB.. and it’s a wonderful experience. On my lap, in bed, etc etc.
If you look at the video, it's a really big difference between the old one (does not rock) and the new (rocks).

However, it appears it may affect some people more than others.

I'm not sure why you're mentioning your lap and in bed, since this issue does not concern those use cases.

There are a couple factors at play here. He is correct in that the hinge may not rest on the surface that he has placed it on; I checked several areas in my home and on some it did not touch the surface, on others it did. So that’s going to be an individual issue. The reason the old one laid flat on most surfaces is that the exterior material of the case wrapped around the hinge where as on the new one the hinge is is exposed so it does not have that extra material to act as additional support. There had been some complaints that the portion that wrapped the hinge had frayed badly over time. I did not have that problem with my 2020 MKB. And some may prefer the aesthetics of the bare, exposed hinge. He is quite correct about the shortened length of the hinge being a problem because when I use that port to charge my ipad it is difficult to pull the cable away from it in the morning when I go to use it. It makes it more difficult to get a grip on it and I wind up pulling on the cable rather than on the connector. That could result, overtime, in cable separation.

As far as rocking, again will be dependent on the actual surface you have it resting on, and how far back you have the screen tilted; I, and I suspect most, don’t go vigorously tapping on the upper part of the screen that could cause some rocking to occur. I think that’s why most buy this particular keyboard, to be able use the trackpad and keys for most functions. I, myself, don’t use the track pad that much, but I really like the backlit keyboard. But I think this rocking is more of an effort to go looking for an issue and a way to cause it than an actual functional problem for most. I suspect to make the whole combo lighter some compromises were necessary. I don’t think this was a bad trade off.
Hmmm... It seems you are now suggesting it can rock on some flat surfaces if you have it tilted all the way back.

So, some may have to resort to the DIY 10¢ rubber bumper hack after all.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
The only time mine rocks is when sitting on the toilet:) But if my hands/palms are resting or touching the palm rests there isn’t a problem even then.

EugW

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 18, 2017
I went to a Mac reseller today and checked out the current M4 iPad Pros plus current 2024 Magic Keyboards vs. the current M2 iPad Airs with the old Magic Keyboards. (I could not check out the previous model iPad Pros with the old Magic Keyboards.)

All four devices were on the same table for convenient side-by-side comparison. The main problem was the security cables, which could affect the assessment. My arbitrary EugW stability index rating is as follows:

13" 2024 Magic Keyboard - EWSI rating 6/10. It definitely had a tendency to rock backwards with firm taps.
13" old Magic Keyboard - EWSI rating 8/10. Definitely way less wobbly than the 2024. I agree with that YouTuber.
11" 2024 Magic Keyboard - EWSI rating 7/10. More stable than 2024 13" but less stable than old 13".
11" old Magic Keyboard - EWSI rating 6/10. The tendency to rock backwards was like the 13" 2024 Magic Keyboard.

So in summary, in order of stability: 13" old MK > 11" 2024 MK > 13" 2024 MK = 11" old MK

And yes the problem here for the 2024 is the back hinge is roughly 1 mm above the table, and I suspect a 1 mm bumper would help. Interestingly, for both old models, 13" and 11", the fabric around the hinge was flush on the table, but the 11" Air still had the tendency to rock backwards with firm taps.

To put it in a different way, if I had the 13" 2024, I'd probably try a bumper on it. If I had the old 13" I would not. However, with the 11" 2024 I want to buy, I'm on-the-fence. That's of course, with these specific units in this specific store. YMMV.

Last edited:

macmus12

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2022

mtulman1

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2015
I brought my m1 to Best Buy today to trade it in for the m4 both 12.9/13. On their table I had the same rocking yet at home using it for 2+ years never once. Brought my m4 home and no rocking. So not really sure why some see it. Must be the surface and how they use it?

jlevy73

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2015
I went to a Mac reseller today and checked out the current M4 iPad Pros plus current 2024 Magic Keyboards vs. the current M2 iPad Airs with the old Magic Keyboards. (I could not check out the previous model iPad Pros with the old Magic Keyboards.)

All four devices were on the same table for convenient side-by-side comparison. The main problem was the security cables, which could affect the assessment. My arbitrary EugW stability index rating is as follows:

13" 2024 Magic Keyboard - EWSI rating 6/10. It definitely had a tendency to rock backwards with firm taps.
13" old Magic Keyboard - EWSI rating 8/10. Definitely way less wobbly than the 2024. I agree with that YouTuber.
11" 2024 Magic Keyboard - EWSI rating 7/10. More stable than 2024 13" but less stable than old 13".
11" old Magic Keyboard - EWSI rating 6/10. The tendency to rock backwards was like the 13" 2024 Magic Keyboard.

So in summary, in order of stability: 13" old MK > 11" 2024 MK > 13" 2024 MK = 11" old MK

And yes the problem here for the 2024 is the back hinge is roughly 1 mm above the table, and I suspect a 1 mm bumper would help. Interestingly, for both old models, 13" and 11", the fabric around the hinge was flush on the table, but the 11" Air still had the tendency to rock backwards with firm taps.

To put it in a different way, if I had the 13" 2024, I'd probably try a bumper on it. If I had the old 13" I would not. However, with the 11" 2024 I want to buy, I'm on-the-fence. That's of course, with these specific units in this specific store. YMMV.
Unfortunately I disagree. My 11 inch old MK is quite a bit more stable than the new one. Maybe mine is defective, and while not a deal breaker, it's quite a noticeable downgrade IMO

EugW

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 18, 2017
Unfortunately I disagree. My 11 inch old MK is quite a bit more stable than the new one. Maybe mine is defective, and while not a deal breaker, it's quite a noticeable downgrade IMO
Based on that YouTube video, I might have expected that, but it wasn't the case in that particular store I visited. But like I said, there were some security cables attached which could have affected the assessment, and the old version in the store wasn't brand new either, so that might have changed things.

However, I think it does illustrate there may be some variability in the stability from unit to unit, although there does seem to be a real trend indicating that the new version is less stable than the old version.

Wizec

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2019
Just tested this with my 2024 Magic Keyboard with my new iPad Pro M4 11’. It doesn’t have that problem.

I actually like this keyboard so much more than the previous generation of Magic Keyboard. The screen pivot point is lower on the back and it just feels so much more natural.

I also love that it opens with much less force, like it’s spring loaded or something.

Reactions: TQT
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.