Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
Finished out my trial of ATV+. There indeed isn't as much variety as the other major SS, but the content is there none of the less. And was quite nice without having to deal with ads. Neat that watching on a PC via Firefox, they finally implemented the "Up Next"/watchlist feature here (although still no Search function :(. As a workaround, just do a internet search + the name of the program in in a search engine to find it).

I also ended up watching some stuff via the Apple TV app while on travel via my 9th gen iPad, bumming off wifi in various eateries and shops. There is the option to download the episodes and movies for viewing offline, but with limited storage, I passed up on that. Interface is fairly standard and usable here as well. However, the rewind/ff 15 seconds seemed more like 10s, but I never double checked that.

Seen....
TV series: See, Central Park, Defending Jacob, Ted Lasso, The Morning Show, Foundation, and Dickinson
Movies: Greyhound, CODA, On The Rocks, and Finch

I don't want to renew ATV+.. at least just yet since I have other SS that are about to expire (which I won't renew either), and want to focus on those. But I can definitely see myself resubbing after 8 to 15 months for a month or 3 to catch up on other things I've missed, and to catch new movies and seasons! :)

Last edited:

e46pphkg

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2016
Toronto
Just purchased Mac Studio and trying to redeem "3" months but Apple support said under my own AppleID, no matter how many more devices I bought, I WILL never get trial/complimentary subscription.
It's content is not justified the money. Apple is big enough to nickel and dime now.
What a shame!

• Angry
Reactions: Coochie Boogs

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
Just purchased Mac Studio and trying to redeem "3" months but Apple support said under my own AppleID, no matter how many more devices I bought, I WILL never get trial/complimentary subscription.
It's content is not justified the money. Apple is big enough to nickel and dime now.
What a shame!
A shame indeed! Is this a new policy? I hear a select few who are able to "perpetually" get ATV+ for free b/c they keep buying new, qualifying Apple hardware, and scrounge up deals elsewhere (promo codes or something?). Would like to try to do the latter. This may sound cheap, but even though ATV+ is only $5 per month, still, why pay when you don't have to? It may end up being moot b/c time is the bottleneck. I may not get back to ATV+, if at all!

Would it be worth it to set up a new AppleID just to redeem another 3 months of ATV+? I considered setting up a new account to get in on another year's of the Thanksgiving Hulu promo. Dreading dealing with their ads stopped that process cold, but before I got to that point, I would have to create a new email address for that and/or use a different credit card. That just didn't seem to be worth the hassle.

e46pphkg

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2016
Toronto
A new AppleID only gives you 3 months now and practically there is not much to watch. It also makes you lost connection with all your registered devices, purchased APPs, and history until you sign back in after 3 months which to me totally not worth it. Some business is trying very hard to draw attention but Apple is pushing us away. When you spent about 2 grands on their Studio and they just slap your face by saying "you're not worth it". The CSR and I spent about 20 minutes to clarify the issue which worth much more than twenty bucks.

Reactions: ackmondual

pmiles

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2013
The free trial was reduced to 3 months after the initial launch of AppleTV+ which was well over 2 years ago now.

You can only use the free trial once, per household. So that means if anyone has used the free trial in your household, it has been used for everyone in said house hold. The free trial needs to be used before a certain period of time after the purchase of the new device or it will expire.

There are other ways to get a free trial through other third parties. These promos are not Apple promos, but third party promos... such as free Netflix with certain phone carriers et al.

Apple has never offered additional free trials with the purchase of additional new hardware. So buying a new computer et all every year or couple of months did not afford you a new trial. All new devices come with said free trial, but not everyone is eligible to use said free trial because of a prior free trial usage.

People may cleverly figure out a way to get additional free trials, but that doesn't change the fact that only one free trial per household is Apple's policy.

It's not that expensive compared to other services. Wait a few months to a year and you will get a decent amount of new stuff to watch for your one month subscription fee.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
The free trial was reduced to 3 months after the initial launch of AppleTV+ which was well over 2 years ago now.

You can only use the free trial once, per household. So that means if anyone has used the free trial in your household, it has been used for everyone in said house hold. The free trial needs to be used before a certain period of time after the purchase of the new device or it will expire.

There are other ways to get a free trial through other third parties. These promos are not Apple promos, but third party promos... such as free Netflix with certain phone carriers et al.

Apple has never offered additional free trials with the purchase of additional new hardware. So buying a new computer et all every year or couple of months did not afford you a new trial. All new devices come with said free trial, but not everyone is eligible to use said free trial because of a prior free trial usage.

People may cleverly figure out a way to get additional free trials, but that doesn't change the fact that only one free trial per household is Apple's policy.

It's not that expensive compared to other services. Wait a few months to a year and you will get a decent amount of new stuff to watch for your one month subscription fee.
The inquiry about how people keep getting free ATV+ for 6 months to 3 years (or whatever ridiculous extended time periods) was more so out of morbid curiosity. Again, time is going to be the bottleneck. Not the $5 a month fee (although for those who are in it for the long term, reminder that Costco.com has annual subs for $45)

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
A new AppleID only gives you 3 months now and practically there is not much to watch. It also makes you lost connection with all your registered devices, purchased APPs, and history until you sign back in after 3 months which to me totally not worth it. Some business is trying very hard to draw attention but Apple is pushing us away. When you spent about 2 grands on their Studio and they just slap your face by saying "you're not worth it". The CSR and I spent about 20 minutes to clarify the issue which worth much more than twenty bucks.

Complaining that Apple "pushing us away" and "slap[ping] your face saying 'you're not worth it'" is just ridiculous. Just because Apple is a multi-trillion dollar enterprise does not entitle you, their customer, to anything. Put your hand back in your pocket and pay your own way.

Agreed. Apple graciously gave out free trials (and continues to do so) with the caveat that it's "one per household". There are always loopholes, and other ways around paying for the service... but dang... no body owes anyone a free pass for life. It's $5/month (or less) - less than the cost of a gallon of gas or a Starbuck coffee.

Last edited:

Sword86

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2012
I'm close to gassing it. I never watch it and have the  One subscription.
I never go to  News because it always want you to sign up for newspaper subscriptions. What's with that? What a joke.
I don't game so I sure don't need Arcade. I only use  Music, so I figure the few extra dollars is a waste, but as of yet I won't give TV up, but it's coming. S

• Love
Reactions: turbineseaplane

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.

Household has nothing to do with it. The free trial is tied to the Apple ID.

Eric Idle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2020
What a shame!

Wow. $5 a month is so critical to you. Yet you will watch tons and tons and tons of ads in your life to watch "free" tv. Embarrassing.

Reactions: Coochie Boogs

Coochie Boogs

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2022
New York
Some terrible takes on Apple TV+, there is quite a bit there and upcoming for $5 a month. I’m certain most of you pay for others that perhaps have a larger quantity, but equal to or less than in quality. At the same time, to each their own.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
I'm close to gassing it. I never watch it and have the  One subscription.
I never go to  News because it always want you to sign up for newspaper subscriptions. What's with that? What a joke.
I don't game so I sure don't need Arcade. I only use  Music, so I figure the few extra dollars is a waste, but as of yet I won't give TV up, but it's coming. S
Ditto with others I hear, with one of them being a friend. He used to use ATV+ and AA a lot, but not anymore. He also only has it since they're part of A1. He and his wife make good use of Music, along with iCloud+ using MacOS and iOS as his primary platforms for desktop and mobile.

Me, I'd rather just do ATV+ on a month-to-month basis. AA is something I'm on the fence about. I've cancelled my AA free trial ahead of time, but $45 a year wouldn't be too bad to "chuck at", just to see how it works out for another year. My iPad is solely a gaming device, so no need for iCloud+. If you're going for News+, they also have that at Costco.com for $90 per year (but I'm with others... I get my news and articles from other sources, and don't have the time to deal with News+ anyways)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.