Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IllusiveMan

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2018
Got this in the mail today, happy to answer any questions you all may have. Note that the magic keyboard is for an 11 inch in black.

So far, I have tested it with my current M2 iPad 11 inch. It does not magnetically attach and the smart connectors are off. The pencil also doesn't fully magnetically attach and neither are recognized by the iPad.

The keyboard feels almost identical to typing and resting your palm on a MacBook Air/Pro. The keys feel amazing, heck the while keyboard is incredible. The trackpad I am unable to test since I cannot power it on thus it doesn't click. This confirms that the keyboard is not a physical button just like thr laptops, and instead, is a haptic motor.

The pencil is near identical to the second generation aside from the branding. Unable to test anything further on the pencil since it will not connect to any of the current iPad models.

Besides that, ask away!

UPDATE: Weight is 580 grams for keyboard and 19-20 grams for pencil, confirmed with scale.

IMG_20240511_154559.jpg

Last edited:

IllusiveMan

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2018
Does the new magic keyboard scratch the iPad screen when closed?
The only testing I have is an M2 iPad Pro, which doesnt fit properly. However, after closing and opening, it doesnt seem to be an issue. Its almost the exact same material as the laptops, and I have never had issues with those.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
What does the bottom (under the keyboard) of the case look like? Is it aluminum? or does it go back to the rubbery material the top is made out of?

Reactions: gotong

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Got this in the mail today, happy to answer any questions you all may have. Note that the magic keyboard is for an 11 inch in black.
US? UK?

So far, I have tested it with my current M2 iPad 11 inch. It does not magnetically attach and the smart connectors are off.
Welp, that's not good news. Won't magnetically attach nor connect to the pins... yeah, it appears I really have to sell off my current MKB.

I'm guessing Apple really made sure we will have to get new accessories this time around, I'd love to hear their reasoning behind it.

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
Welp, that's not good news. Won't magnetically attach nor connect to the pins... yeah, it appears I really have to sell off my current MKB.

I'm guessing Apple really made sure we will have to get new accessories this time around, I'd love to hear their reasoning behind it.
I thought this was pretty clear from the start. The MKB's cantilever is balanced by weight and these new iPads have different shapes and weights... it would not work to use them even if the pins lined up.

Texas26257

macrumors regular
May 22, 2016
US? UK?

I wonder if it deal with magnet placement due to camera being moved

Reactions: ThailandToo

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
The M4 iPads have a different size than the previous iPad Pros, which means a different position of both the Smart Connector and of the camera bump, and also a different distance between them. The only way they could have made it work is by either having an asymmetric position of the Smart Connector and/or the camera bump, or making the cutout larger and having skewed or duplicate Smart Connectors on the MKB to somehow accommodate both positions, and Apple would never go for such an “ugly” solution.

IllusiveMan

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2018
Does it blend?

Blends well enough, the power connector is also metal.

How does the size of the trackpad feel for the 11"? Does it feel constricted?

Definitely a tad small, heres a picture witn airpods for reference

17154668210551702068017179228106.jpg

US? UK?

USA

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I thought this was pretty clear from the start. The MKB's cantilever is balanced by weight and these new iPads have different shapes and weights... it would not work to use them even if the pins lined up.
No, it wasn't pretty clear. And I'm looking at it differently... does my current MKB work with the newest iPad Pro, not the newest MKB work with the older generation iPad Pro.

And besides, Apple pulled this stunt before claiming the 2nd generation MKB were only compatible with the newest iPad Pro at the time (I believe it was the 6th generation, not quite sure). Later found out that the measurements were slightly off... as in the iPad stuck out a tad bit.

But it still worked.

The M4 iPads have a different size than the previous iPad Pros, which means a different position of both the Smart Connector and of the camera bump, and also a different distance between them. The only way they could have made it work is by either having an asymmetric position of the Smart Connector and/or the camera bump, or making the cutout larger and having skewed or duplicate Smart Connectors on the MKB to somehow accommodate both positions, and Apple would never go for such an “ugly” solution.
Folks keep bringing up "different size," but seriously... I don't believe the sizes are that big of differences that would cause incompatibility. The differences are miniscule in terms of length and width while there are three pins just like the previous generations.

And if it's the camera cut out causes incompatibility... that's just strange (I can adjust my MKB, no problem). But based off the OP post, Apple deliberately changed the magnets and tweaked the Smart Connector. Both has nothing to do with the size.

IllusiveMan

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2018
No, it wasn't pretty clear. And I'm looking at it differently... does my current MKB work with the newest iPad Pro, not the newest MKB work with the older generation iPad Pro.

And besides, Apple pulled this stunt before claiming the 2nd generation MKB were only compatible with the newest iPad Pro at the time (I believe it was the 6th generation, not quite sure). Later found out that the measurements were slightly off... as in the iPad stuck out a tad bit.

But it still worked.

Folks keep bringing up "different size," but seriously... I don't believe the sizes are that big of differences that would cause incompatibility. The differences are miniscule in terms of length and width while there are three pins just like the previous generations.

And if it's the camera cut out causes incompatibility... that's just strange (I can adjust my MKB, no problem). But based off the OP post, Apple deliberately changed the magnets and tweaked the Smart Connector. Both has nothing to do with the size.

The sizing is definitely different not just a camera bump issue.

Attachments

• 17154680155863957694936971147074.jpg
    17154680155863957694936971147074.jpg
    669.7 KB · Views: 124
  • 17154680155863957694936971147074.jpg
    17154680155863957694936971147074.jpg
    669.7 KB · Views: 121
  • 17154680319528272529803911580365.jpg
    17154680319528272529803911580365.jpg
    776.9 KB · Views: 124
  • 17154680319528272529803911580365.jpg
    17154680319528272529803911580365.jpg
    776.9 KB · Views: 125

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017

But it still worked.

You are right that the size difference isn’t that big. But for example the 11” got 2.1 mm taller (in portrait orientation), which means they would have needed to position the Smart Connector 2.1 mm higher in order to still align properly relative to the camera bump. In addition, if you look at the Accessory Design Guidelines, the magnets are arranged in a fine alternating grid of 4.5 mm. In the new iPad Pros the magnets would have to be repositioned very carefully, and slightly less symmetrically relative to the frame, to still match the old layout relative to the camera bump and Smart Connector. Not impossible, but also not trivial.

IllusiveMan

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2018
Not denying that there is a size difference... but based on those pictures, I don't think it's that significant.

If the smart connectors lined up and it magnetically attached... I wouldn't be concerned if it slightly extends out a bit (but that's just me).

I gotcha I just meant it wasn’t a camera bump. It seems it’s almost like a curve issue on the corners and overall sizing on the iPad. Regardless, it clearly does not fit or attach

Reactions: heretiq
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.