Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Buadhai

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2018
Korat, Thailand
This started happening with Big Sur but has continued after I updated to Monterey yesterday. If I "Enter Time Machine" I get this massive black box covering most of the screen. If I increase screen resolution to something very high, I can see part of the Finder window, but not enough to be useful. I can't take a screenshot when this happens, so I had to take a photo of the screen. Any idea what's going on here? This on a 2017 21" iMac now running Monterey.

tempImagem5fKvB.jpg

Reactions: Artiste212

kautame

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2017
happens when I have a second monitor connected and extending my desktop. I have to switch the second desktop to mirror mode to get rid of it.

You don't need to swith to mirror mode. Just go to "Desktop & Dock" pane in "System Preferences" and UNCHECK the box "Displays have separate Spaces" (it's the last one at the bottom). I'm talking about Sonoma, here.
If that option is not there, on an older MacOS you can find it under the "Mission Control" preferences:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.