Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snyp1193

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2019
Canada
Anyone notice the option to scan an eSIM QR code through your photo library is now missing on 17.4? There used to be three options to load an eSIM: scanning it directly with the camera, “Enter Details Manually”, and “Open Photos” which you could scan a QR screenshot/image from your photo library. It was very handy to load a travel eSIM without needing a second device.

Bug perhaps or was this intentionally removed due to some issue?

rmn1644

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2011
Just came across this trying to activate my latest eSIM. Indeed it is gone from the Add eSIM page. No idea why they would remove it.

I found a bit of a workaround for a QR code I received. I grabbed a screenshot of it, then opened the camera app, and clicked on the button to show my photos. In there I just held down on the QR code and a prompt came up to "Add eSIM"

Apple's support now lists that you can just hold the QR code down if you receive it in an email. I tested that and it seems to work, so you could also email yourself the code that way if you don't get one. Global YO which I love emails it as well as shows it in their app.

See link for updated instructions.

snyp1193

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2019
Canada
Just came across this trying to activate my latest eSIM. Indeed it is gone from the Add eSIM page. No idea why they would remove it.

I found a bit of a workaround for a QR code I received. I grabbed a screenshot of it, then opened the camera app, and clicked on the button to show my photos. In there I just held down on the QR code and a prompt came up to "Add eSIM"

Apple's support now lists that you can just hold the QR code down if you receive it in an email. I tested that and it seems to work, so you could also email yourself the code that way if you don't get one. Global YO which I love emails it as well as shows it in their app.

See link for updated instructions.

Great thank you for this tip! It looks like you have to do it from the Camera app -> Photos library to get the ‘Add eSIM’ prompt to show up. I tried just opening Photos and holding the QR code and it doesn’t show there.

Nevertheless this helps rather than having to use another device or a QR code app to get the manual details.

Reactions: rmn1644

rmn1644

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2011
Yes I couldn't get the code to work directly from Photos so I tried the Camera App->Photos as the "Camera App" route seems to allow for QR code scanning.

I usually install my eSIMs while I am traveling so I'm glad that I don't need to activate it using a separate device. Hopefully Apple can get back to allowing Add eSIM to work from the Photos directory.

Reactions: snyp1193
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.